This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation of a High Current Density PEM Fuel Cell
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The ever-increasing quest for sustainable mobility is pushing the automotive sector towards electric-based technologies, allowing the reduction of localized emission sources in highly populated urban areas. Among the many possible solutions, Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFC) have the potential to de-carbonise the automotive sector without the range anxiety of present and future batteries. The interaction between physical and chemical processes in PEMFC is crucial to their maximum attainable efficiency, albeit the complexity of such interplay still limits a complete understanding of the governing processes.
In this paper a canonical PEMFC from literature is simulated using 3D-CFD, and results are compared against experiments. A Eulerian multi-phase/multi-physics non-isothermal framework is used to account for both fluid (gas channels, porous gas diffusion layers) and solid (bi-polar plates, membrane), as well as for electrochemical and sorption reactions. The model is also able to account for the heat balance and for the liquid water formation at cathode catalyst layer, as well as to predict the water transport and the membrane hydration state fundamental for high-efficiency operation. Simulations are compared with measurements and polarization curves are analysed for two membrane thicknesses and rib/channel spacing.
The study presents the investigation possibilities given by 3D-CFD in the field of PEMFC and how this can be used to design high efficiency fuel cells. The presented numeric analysis shows how the virtual design of high-efficiency PEMFC for the automotive sector can be guided by simulations amongst multiple degrees of freedom, thus aiding the development of innovative PEMFC.
CitationD'Adamo, A., Riccardi, M., Locci, C., Romagnoli, M. et al., "Numerical Simulation of a High Current Density PEM Fuel Cell," SAE Technical Paper 2020-24-0016, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-24-0016.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Viesi , D. , Crema , L. , and Testi , M. The Italian Hydrogen Mobility Scenario Implementing the European Directive on Alternative Fuels Infrastructure (DAFI 2014/94/EU) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 42 27354 27373 2017
- Springer , T.E. , Zawodzinski , S. , and Gottesfeld , S. Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Model Journal of Electrochemical Society 138 8 2334 2342 1991 https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2085971
- Kulikowsky , A.A. Analytical Modelling of Fuel Cells Elsevier 2010
- Djilali , N. Computational Modelling of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (PEM) Fuel Cells: Challenges and Opportunities Energy 32 269 280 2007
- Zhang , G. , and Jiao , K. Multi-Phase Models for Water and Thermal Management of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell: A Review Journal of Power Sources 391 120 133 2018
- Carcadea , E. , Ene , H. , Ingham , D.B. , Lazar , R. et al. A Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis of a PEM Fuel Cell System for Power Generation International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow 17 3 302 312 2007 https://doi.org/10.1108/09615530710730166
- Hashemi , F. , Rowshanzamir , S. , and Rezakazemi , M. CFD Simulation of PEM Fuel Cell Performance: Effect of Straight and Serpentine Flow Fields Mathematical and Computer Modelling 55 1540 1557 2012
- Carcadea , E. , Varlam , M. , Ismail , M. , Ingham , D.B. et al. PEM Fuel Cell Performance Improvement through Numerical Optimization of the Parameters of the Porous Layers International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 45 7968 7980 2020
- Macedo-Valencia , J. , Sierra , J.M. , Figueroa-Ramirez , S.J. , Diaz , S.E. et al. 3D CFD Modeling of a PEM Fuel Cell Stack International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41 23425 23433 2016
- Wang , Y. , and Wang , C.Y. Ultra Large-Scale Simulation of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells Journal of Power Sources 153 130 135 2006
- Wu , H. , Li , X. , and Berg , P. On the Modeling of Water Transport in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells Electrochimica Acta 54 27 6913 6927 2009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2009.06.070
- Wang , C.Y. Fundamental Models for Fuel Cell Engineering Chem. Rev. 104 4727 4766 2004
- Um , S. , and Wang , C.Y. Three-Dimensional Analysis of Transport and Electrochemical Reactions in Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells Journal of Power Sources 125 40 51 2004
- Wang , Z.H. , and Wang , C.Y. Two-Phase Flow and Transport in the Air Cathode of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells Journal of Power Sources 94 40 50 2001
- Pasaogullari , U. , and Wang , C.Y. Two-Phase Transport and the Role of Micro-Porous Layer in Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells Electrochimica Acta 49 4359 4369 2004
- Locci , C. , Lueth , C. , Nguyen , H. , and Frojd , K. Effect of Geometry Variation in a Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1174 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1174
- Tabuchi , Y. , Shiomi , T. , Aoki , O. , Kubo , N. et al. Effects of Heat and Water Transport on the Performance of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell under High Current Density Operation Electrochimica Acta 56 352 360 2010
- Wang , Y. , and Wang , C.Y. Transient Analysis of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells Electrochimica Acta 50 1307 1315 2005
- Leverett , M.C. Capillary Behavior in Porous Solids Trans. AIME 142 151 169 1941
- Kumbur , E.C. , Sharp , K.V. , and Mench , M.M. J. Electrochem. Soc. 154 1295 2007
- Ye , Q. , and Nguyen , T.V. J. Electrochem. Soc. 154 1242 2007
- Karpenko-Jereb , L. , Sterning , C. , Fink , C. , and Tatschl , R. Membrane Degradation Model for 3D CFD Analysis of Fuel Cell Performance as a Function of Time International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41 13644 13656 2016