This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Factor Analysis in the Determination of Carburetor Icing Tendency in Aviation Gasoline, RON 97, RON 98, RON 100, and the Blends in Lycoming O-320 Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 4, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Carburetor icing (CI) was the most commonly cited factors in general aviation accident category with 1,019 (34%) accidents. The objective of the study is to measure the CI tendency of selected fuels by the application of factor analysis (FA). All the test fuels were characterized based on chemical and physical properties of the fuels. Gas chromatographic (GC) analysis of the tested fuels were categorized based on hydrocarbon types and basic fuel properties. The study considered sixteen variables for CI assessment, using the selected and calculated fuel properties. Twenty-three aviation fuels from literatures were collected and, using FA, model equations explaining the CI tendency of the aviation fuels were derived, and their respective factor scores were calculated. The model was applied to the 14 fuels in this study, and their respective factor scores were calculated. All the fuels were ranked using the factor score from the best to worst. Brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC) of the fuels was derived experimentally. FA results showed that FA explain 94.246% of the variance for CI. Best CI tendency was shown by RON 97 and RON 98 with comprehensive factor scores of 1.478341 and 1.194748, respectively, and the best experimental CI tendency was exhibited by RON 97 and RON 98 too. The findings showed that motor gasolines (MOGAS) RON 97 and RON 98 were able to outperform the commercial aviation gasoline (AVGAS) 100LL in terms of CI characteristics.
CitationThanikasalam, K., Rahmat, M., Zulkifli, A., Mohammad Fahmi, A. et al., "Application of Factor Analysis in the Determination of Carburetor Icing Tendency in Aviation Gasoline, RON 97, RON 98, RON 100, and the Blends in Lycoming O-320 Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-6000, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 14]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 15]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 16]|
- Kalita, P. , “Alternative Fuel for I . C . Engine : Review the Effect from Ethanol in Carburetor,” International Journal of Computer Engineering in Research Trends 3(7):371-376, 2016, https://doi.org/05.2016-75251336/IJCERT.2016.3701.
- Wright, N.A., Kenyon, S., Magner, R., Veillette, P. et al. , Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (Oklahoma City, USA: United States Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), 2016), https://doi.org/10.1016/S0740-8315(86)80070-5.
- CASA , “New Carburetor Icing Probability Chart,” Australia.
- Air Accident Investigation Unit Ireland , Air Accident Investigation (Ireland, 2017). ISBN:9781852606145.
- Thom, J.M., Kozak, B., and Yother, T. , “CRC Report No . AV-17-13 Carburetor Ice Test Methodology Evaluation Final Report,” North Point Parkway Suite 265 Alpharetta, 2015.
- Patterson, D., Morrison, K., Remondino, M., and Slopsema, T. , “Light Aircraft Engines, The Potential and Problems for use of Automotive Fuels Phase 1 - Literature Search,” Atlailtic City Airport, NJ, 1980.
- Cavage, W., Newcomb, J., and Biehl, K. , “Light Aircraft Piston Engine Carburetor Ice Detector/Warning Device Sensitivity/Effectiveness,” Atlantic City Airport, NJ, 1982.
- Morrison, K.M., Sung, N.W., and Patterson, D.J. , “Some Characteristics of Automotive Gasolines and their Performance in a Light Aircraft Engine,” Atlantic City Airport, NJ, 1984.
- Nazarov, V. ., Zaslavskii, A. ., Emel’yanov, V., and Gonopol’ska, A. , “Calculational Method For Determination of Carburetor Icing Rate,” 1986, https://doi.org/UDC 621.434.004.1.323.
- Byrnes, H.S., Cavage, W.C., and Ferrara, A.M. , “Autogas in General Aviation Aircraft,” Atlantic City Airport, NJ, 1987.
- Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia , “Use of Motor Gasoline (Mogas) In Light Piston Engine Aircraft,” Malaysia, 1987.
- Hashim, Z., Raib, J., and Hashim, J. , “Biological Monitoring of Environmental Lead on School Children Subsequent to the Use of Unleaded Gasoline (1998) in Malaysia,” Malaysian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences 1(2):87-95, 2005.
- Shell Malaysia , “Material Safety Data Sheet SH ULG 97 50ppmS E0 Dye Umk V-Power MY Material Safety Data Sheet SH ULG 97 50ppmS E0 Dye Umk V-Power MY,” ISBN 8000100231, 2017.
- Petron Malaysia , “Safety Data Sheet,” Malaysia, 2015.
- Shell Malaysia , “Material Safety Data Sheet Shell V-Power Racing,” Malaysia, 2017.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) , “Air Pollution in Asia and the Pacific: Science-Based Solutions,” 2019th ed., United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Bangkok, Thailand, ISBN 9789280728613, 2019, https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.4203.8569.
- Lycoming , “Operator ’ s Manual Lycoming O-320 Series,” 652 Oliver Street Williamsport, PA, 2006.
- Emel’yanov, V., Grebenshchikov, V.P., Golosova, V.., and Baranova, G.N. , “Influence of Gasoline Distillation Curve on Carburetor Icing,” 1982.
- Abdullah, N.R., Shahruddin, N.S., Mamat, R., Mamat, A.M.I., and Zulkifli, A. , “Effects of Air Intake Pressure on the Engine Performance, Fuel Economy and Exhaust Emissions of a Small Gasoline Engine,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences (JMES) 6:949-958, 2014, https://doi.org/10.15282/jmes.6.2014.21.0091.
- Sayin, C. and Canakci, M. , “Effects of Injection Timing on the Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Dual-Fuel Diesel Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 50(1):203-213, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2008.06.007.
- ASTM International , “Standard Guide for Evaluation of New Aviation Gasolines and New Aviation, D7826 − 16,” 2016, https://doi.org/10.1520/D7826-16.
- How, H.G., Teoh, Y.H., Yu, K.H., Chuah, H.G., and Lim, K.W.S. , “Impact of Gasoline RON on Engine Vibration , Knock and Sound Level in a Single-Cylinder SI Engine,” Akademia Baru 1(1):73-81, 2018.
- Fahmi, A., Riduan, M., Tamaldin, N., Kamal, A., and Yamin, M. , “Engine Performance Testing Using Variable RON95 Fuel Brands Available in Malaysia,” in MATEC Web of Conferences, 01023, 1-9, 2017.
- ASTM , “Standard Specification for Leaded Aviation Gasolines, D910 − 17a,” West Conshohocken, PA, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1520/D0910-17.2.
- ASTM , “Standard Specification for Unleaded Aviation Gasoline D7547 − 15e1,” West Conshohocken, PA, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1520/D7547-11.2.
- ASTM International , “Standard Specification for Unleaded Aviation Gasoline Containing a Non-hydrocarbon Component D6227 − 17,” 2017, https://doi.org/10.1520/D6227-17.
- Atwood, D. and Rodgers, M. , “Anti-Knock and Power Performance Evaluation of Swift Fuels 100SF Fuel Blended With Commercial 100 Low-Lead Aviation Gasoline in a Full-Scale Engine,” 2015.
- Atwood, D. and Rodgers, M. , “Anti-Knock Performance of Reduced Lead Aviation Gasoline in a Full-Scale Engine,” Springfield, VA, 2014.
- Hjelmco , “The Unleaded Aviation Gasoline with Imprived Environmental Qualities (Aviation Gasoline 91/96 Unleaded-AVGAS 91/96 UL),” 1997, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Atwood, D. , “Full-Scale Engine Endurance Test of Swift Enterprises UL102 Fuel,” Atlantic City International Airport, NJ, 2010.
- Atwood, D. , “Full-Scale Engine Detonation and Power Performance Evaluation of Swift Enterprises 702 Fuel,” National Technical Information Service (NTIS), Springfield, VA, 2009.
- Atwood, D., Rodgers, M., and Huang, C. , “Anti-Knock Performance of Unleaded 94 Aviation Gasoline in High-Octane Demand Full-Scale Engines,” Atlantic City International Airport, NJ, 2015.
- Wilkinson, R. , “Research Results Unleaded High Octane Aviation Gasoline Final Report CRC Project No . Av-7-07, 3650 Mansell Road·Suite 140·Alpharetta,” Alpharetta, GA, 2010.
- Minka, T.P. , “Automatic Choice of Dimensionality for PCA,” Cambridge MA, 2000.
- Steiner, J. , “World University Rankings-A Principal Component Analysis,” ArXiv Preprint 1-15, 2006.
- Wuensch, K.L. , “Principal Components Analysis - SPSS,” Greenville, USA, 2012.
- Gibbs, L., Anderson, B., Barnes, K., Engeler, G., Freel, J., Horn, J., Ingham, M., Kohler, D., Lesnini, D., MacArthur, R., Mortier, M., Peyla, D., Taniguchi, B., Tiedemann, A., Welstand, S., Bernhardt, D., Collini, K., Farr, A., Jones, J., Lind, J., Tom, C., and Benson, J. , “Chevron - Motor Gasolines Technical Review,” ISBN FTR-1, 1996, Chevron Products Company, San Ramon, CA.
- Kumar, S. and Dinesha, P. , “Optimization of Engine Parameters in a Bio Diesel Engine Run with Honge Methyl Ester Using Response Surface Methodology,” Measurement: Journal of the International Measurement Confederation 125(December 2016):224-231, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2018.04.091.
- Gertler, A. and Hoekman, S.K. , “Overview and Implications of Gasoline Volatility Rule Change,” 2007.
- Bai, A., Hira, S., and Deshpande, P.S. , “An Application of Factor Analysis in the Evaluation of Country Economic Rank,” Procedia Computer Science 54:311-317, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.06.036.
- Sanguansat, P. , Principal Component Analysis - Engineering Applications (Crotia: InTech, 2012). ISBN:9789535101826.
- Xing, Y. , “Analysis of the Relationship Between Economic Development and Environmental Pollution of Chemical Industry Based on Principal Component Analysis,” Chemical Engineering Transactions 62:505-510, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3303/CET1762085.
- Beaumont, R. , “An introduction to Principal Component Analysis & Factor Analysis Using SPSS 19,” Journal of Geophysical Research (April):24, 2012.
- Jollife, I.T. and Cadima, J. , “Principal Component Analysis: A Review and Recent Developments,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 374(2065), 2016, doi:10.1098/rsta.2015.0202.
- Nadimi, R. and Shakouri, G.H. , “Factor Analysis ( FA ) as Ranking and an Efficient Data Reducing Approach for Decision Making Units : SAFA Rolling & Pipe Mills Company Case Study,” Applied Mathematical Sciences 5(79):3917-3927, 2011.
- Beaumont, R. , “An Introduction to Principal Component Analysis & Factor Analysis,” Using SPSS 19 and R (psych package), 24, 2012.
- Daghi, M., Sedghi, M., Ahmadian, A., and Aliakbar-Golkar, M. , “Factor Analysis Based Optimal Storage Planning in Active Distribution Network Considering Different Battery Technologies,” Applied Energy 183:456-469, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.08.190.
- Gimenez, Y. and Giussani, G. , “Searching for the Core Variables in Principal Components Analysis,” Journal of Probability and Statistics 26, 2017.
- Bai, H., Tan, K., Huang, K., and Guo, Q. , “Low-carbon Development of Urban Logistics Based on Principal Component Analysis - A Case Study of Lanzhou City,” International Journal of Business Administration 8(1):73-79, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5430/ijba.v8n1p73.
- Yu, M. , “Measure the Energy Market Integration in East Asia: A Principal Component Analysis Approach,”in Kimura, F. and X. Shi, (eds.), Deepen Understanding and Move Forward: Energy Market Integration in East Asia, ERIA Research Project Report 2010-25 (Jakarta: ERIA, 2011), 63-95, Chapter 3.
- Kellow, J. , “Using Principal Components Analysis in Program Evaluation: Some Practical Considerations,” Journal of MultiDisciplinary Evaluation (5):89-107, 2007.
- Bollen, J., Van de Sompel, H., Hagberg, A., and Chute, R. , “A Principal Component Analysis of 39 Scientific Impact Measures,” PLoS ONE 4(6), 2009, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0006022.
- Singh, S., Prakash, A., Chakraborty, N.R., Wheeler, C. et al. , “Trait Selection by Path and Principal Component Analysis in Jatropha Curcas for Enhanced Oil Yield,” Industrial Crops & Products 86:173-179, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2016.03.047.
- Lee, L.C., Liong, C.-Y., Khairul, O., and Jemain, A.A. , “Effects of Baseline Correction Algorithms on Forensic Classification of Paper Based on ATR-FTIR Spectrum and Principal Component,” Science and Technology 25(3):767-774, 2017.
- Cornich, R. , “Principle Component Analysis,” Statistics : Principal of Component Analysis 3, 2007.
- Esch, T., Funke, H., and Roosen, P. , “Safety Implications of Biofuels in Aviation,” Germany, 2010.
- HyXoOy , “PIANO-PONA-PNA Standards,” Kerava, Finland, 2018.
- Exova , “PIANO / PONA Analysis,” Unit 3, Deeside Point, Zone 3, Deeside Industrial Park, Deeside, Flintshire CH5 2UA, 2018.
- Fultz, A.J. and Ashley, W.S. , “Fatal weather-related general aviation accidents in the United States,” Physical Geography 37(5):291-312, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/02723646.2016.1211854.
- Mies, J., Audard, C., Cockburn, D., and Fridrich, J. , “Piston Engine Icing,” Ottoplatz 1, Köln, Germany Mail, 2017.
- Jeihouni, Y., Pischinger, S., Ruhkamp, L., and Koerfer, T. , “Relationship between Fuel Properties and Sensitivity Analysis of Non-Aromatic and Aromatic Fuels Used in a Single Cylinder Heavy Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0333 , 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0333.
- Deng, X., Chen, Z., Wang, X., Zhen, H., and Xie, R. , “Exhaust Noise, Performance and Emission Characteristics of Spark Ignition Engine Fuelled with Pure Gasoline and Hydrous Ethanol Gasoline Blends,” Case Studies in Thermal Engineering 12(October 2017):55-63, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csite.2018.02.004.