This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Study of Fixed-Time Signal Intersection Speed Control Strategy Based on Cooperative Vehicle Infrastructure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 3rd International Forum on Connected Automated Vehicle Highway System through the China Highway & Transportation Society
In order to reduce the blocking of traffic flow of the signalized intersection on the urban road, for individual vehicles can interact the information with the roadside facilities and the intersection control system under the connected vehicle environment, a speed control strategy in the signalized intersection is proposed. The method consists of two levels, i.e., optimal control range and onboard vehicle speed control. The paper calculates the optimal traffic velocity and vehicles’ arrival time to minimize the total travel time of all vehicles. The purpose of the vehicle passing through the intersection without stops under the guidance of speed guiding strategy could be achieved by analyzing the speed and position of the vehicle and judging whether the vehicle under different driving states can pass. The proposed speed control strategy was analyzed and evaluated in the established simulation environment based on the microscopic traffic simulator VISSIM and Python. A typical intersection is selected as an example, in which the travel time and delay without speed control strategy are compared with that of different speed control strategies. The results show that when vehicles go through intersections, the average travel time is reduced by at least 15%. With the increase of volume, the impact can be increased to 50%. Besides vehicle delay of intersection are reduced significantly by 10~30% with different control segment length.
CitationGu, H., Yu, Y., Li, Z., Liu, N. et al., "The Study of Fixed-Time Signal Intersection Speed Control Strategy Based on Cooperative Vehicle Infrastructure," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5212, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5212.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- An , S. , Yao , H. , Jiang , H. et al. A Green Driving Speed Control Method at Signal Intersection Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology 15 5 53 59 2015 10.3969/j.issn.1009-6744.2015.05.008
- Ren , Y. , Wang , Y. , Yu , G. , Liu , H. et al. An Adaptive Signal Control Scheme to Prevent Intersection Traffic Blockage IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 18 6 1519 1528 2016 10.1109/TITS.2016.2609917
- Xu , B. , Ban , X. , Bin , Y. , Li , W. et al. Cooperative Method of Traffic Signal Optimization and Speed Control of Connected Vehicles at Isolated Intersections IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 20 4 1390 1403 2019 10.1109/TITS.2018.2849029
- Li , S. , Xu , S. , Huang , X. , Cheng , B. et al. Eco-Departure of Connected Vehicles with V2X Communication at Signalized Intersections IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 64 12 5439 5449 2015 10.1109/TVT.2015.2483779
- Wang , J. , Li , S. , Zheng , Y. , and Lu , X. Longitudinal Collision Mitigation via Coordinated Braking of Multiple Vehicles Using Model Predictive Control Integrated Computer Aided Engineering 22 2 171 185 2015 10.3233/ICA-150486
- Zhao , J. , Li , W. , Wang , J. , and Ban , X. Dynamic Traffic Signal Timing Optimization Strategy Incorporating Various Vehicle Fuel Consumption Characteristics IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 65 6 874 3887 2016 10.1109/TVT.2015.2506629
- Alsabaan , M. , Naik , K. , and Khalifa , T. Optimization of Fuel Cost and Emissions Using V2V Communications IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 14 3 1449 1461 2013 10.1109/tits.2013.2262175
- Liu , B. and El Kamel , A. V2X-Based Decentralized Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control in the Vicinity of Intersections IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 17 3 644 658 2016 10.1109/TITS.2015.2486140
- Tang , T. , Zhang , J. , and Liu , K. A Speed Guidance Model Accounting for the Driver’s Bounded Rationality at a Signalized Intersection Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and Its Applications 473 45 52 2017 10.1016/j.physa.2017.01.025
- Nekoui , M. , Ni , D. , Nik , H. et al. Development of a VII-Enabled Prototype Intersection Collision Warning System International Journal of Internet Protocol Technology 4 3 173 2009 10.1504/ijipt.2009.028656
- Yang , Y. , Chen , S. , and Sun , J. Modeling and Evaluation of Speed Guidance Strategy in VII System 13th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation System Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal 1045 1050 2010 10.1109/itsc.2010.5625271
- Wu , W. , Li , P. , and Zhang , Y. Modelling and Simulation of Vehicle Speed Guidance in Connected Vehicle Environment International Journal of Simulation Modelling 14 1 145 157 2015 10.2507/ijsimm14(1) co3
- Tang , T. , Yi , Z. , Zhang , J. et al. A Speed Guidance Strategy for Multiple Signalized Intersections Based on Car-Following Model Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and Its Applications 496 399 409 2018 10.1016/j.physa.2018.01.005
- Zhao , J. and Li , P. An Extended Car-Following Model with Consideration of Speed Guidance at Intersections Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and Its Applications 461 1 8 2016 10.1016/j.physa.2016.05.042
- Long , K. , Gao , Z. , Wu , W. et al. Integrated Optimization for Urban Arterial Traffic Signal Coordination and Vehicle Active Speed Guidance Journal of Chang’an University (Natural Science Edition) 38 2 94 102 2018
- An , S. , Xu , L. , Chen , G. et al. Improved Car-Following Model at Signalized Intersection Based on Vehicle-Infrastructure Cooperation Technology Journal of Southeast University (Natural Science Edition) 50 1 169 174 2020 10.3969/j.issn.1001-0505.2020.01.022.
- Fan , Y. Bus Speed Guidance Method Within Vehicle Infrastructure Integration Environment Traffic & Transportation 36 4 75 80 2020 1671-3400(2020)04-0075-06
- Luo , H. , Xu , L. , Chen , G. , and Cheng , J. Bus Signal Priority Coordination Control Method of Adjacent Intersections Combined with Vehicle Speed Guidance Journal of Wuhan University of Technology (Transportation Science & Engineering) 44 4 749 752 2020 10.3963/j.issn.2095-3844.2020.04.031
- Liu , S. , Zhang , W. , Wu , X. , Feng , S. et al. A Simulation System and Speed Guidance Algorithms for Intersection Traffic Control Using Connected Vehicle Technology Tsinghua Science and Technology 24 2 160 170 2019 10.26599/TST.2018.9010073
- Treiber , M. , Ansgar , H. , and Dirk , H. Congested Traffic States in Empirical Observations and Microscopic Simulations Physical Review E 62 2 1805 1824 2000 10.1103/PhysRevE.62.1805
- Gu , H. 2017
- Jin , P. , Yang , D. , and Ran , B. Reducing the Error Accumulation in Car-Following Models Calibrated with Vehicle Trajectory Data IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 15 1 148 157 2014 10.1109/TITS.2013.227387.