This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Life Cycle of Typical Passenger Vehicles Based on Energy Structure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Based on the principle of carbon footprint, this paper selects typical passenger cars, such as internal combustion engine vehicles (ICEV), plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) and battery electric vehicles (BEV) in the market of China as the research objects, and compares the energy consumption and carbon emissions of the three vehicle models in the whole life cycle for three major stages of manufacturing, driving and recycling in three representative cities. The results show that the manufacturing energy consumption of BEV is 5 times of HEV and 10 times of ICEV. For the BEV, only after driving a certain mileage it can be a less the unit energy consumption and emissions than ICEV. The whole life cycle carbon emissions of passenger cars with different power types is not only related to mileage, but also related to the energy structure of local electric power supply. When the proportion of clean electricity is less than 32%, the whole life cycle carbon emissions of electric vehicles are always higher than ICEV.
CitationLiu, B., Li, L., and Ni, X., "Research on Life Cycle of Typical Passenger Vehicles Based on Energy Structure," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5187, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5187.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
- People’s Daily Online , “At the End of 2019, the Number of Private Cars in the Country Exceeded 200 Million for the First Time,” http://society.people.com.cn/n1/2020/0107/c1008-31538111.html, accessed Sept. 2020.
- Xu, J.Q., and Yang, Y.P. , “Whole Life Cycle Assessment of Automotive Products Considering Recycling Processes,” China Mechanical Engineering 30(11):1343-1351, 2019, https://doi.org/10.13697/j.cnki.32-1449/tu.2017.03.005.
- Gao, Y.B., Mao, X.Q., Yang, S.Q. et al. , “Analysis and Assessment of the Energy Conservation and Emission Reduction Effects of New Energy Cars Based on LCA,” Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae 33(05):1504-1512, 2013, https://doi.org/CNKI:SUN:HJXX.0.2013-05-042.
- Li, X.N., Shi, Z.G., and Zhang, G.F. , “Research on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of Automobile Products,” Beijing Automotive Engineering 000(001):1-4, 2007, https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1002-4581.2007.01.001.
- Tan, J.W. , “Study on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Its Application in Automobiles,” Master thesis, Mechanical Engineering Department, Sichuan University, Chengdu, 2005.
- International Organization for Standardization , “Environmental Management-Life Cycle Assessment-Principles and Framework,” ISO Standard 14040, 2006.
- Wang, S.B., Dong, H., Wang, R.S. et al. , “Life Cycle Inventory of a China Car,” Journal of Fudan University (Natural Science) 03:328-334, 2006, https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.0427-7104.2006.03.010.
- Wu, C.H., Ma, X.Q., Chen, Y. et al. , “Vehicle Life Cycle Assessment Covering its Manufacturing, Use and Recycling,” Automotive Engineering 175(02):207-211, 2006, https://doi.org/10.3321/j.issn:1000-680X.2006.02.023.
- Gong, J.W., and Sun, J.W. , “Relationship between Gasoline Density and Carbon-Hydrogen Ratio,” Journal of China Agriculture University 04:114-116, 1999, https://doi.org/10.3321/j.issn:1007-4333.1999.04.030.
- Bo, X.T. , “Reference Coefficient of Common Energy Conversion Standard,” Heat Treatment 33(01):40, 2018.
- Hou, K.F., Jiang, R.X., Yan, C. et al. , “Analysis of Energy Consumption and Study of Energy-Saving Measures in Design of Large Refineries,” Petroleum Refinery Engineering 3909:46-50, 2009, https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1002-106X.2009.09.013.
- Yang, B., Zhao, J.Z., Wu, R.L. et al. , “Factors Analysis Based on Eclectic Vehicle Charging Efficiency,” Automobile Applied Technology 13:164-165, 2017, https://doi.org/10.16638/j.cnki.1671-7988.2017.13.056.
- Oriental Fortune , “National Development and Reform Commission: by the End of 2018, the Total Installed Capacity of Wind Power and Photovoltaic Power Was 360 Million Kilowatts,” http://finance.eastmoney.com/, accessed Jan. 2019.
- National Energy Administration , “National Power Industry Statistics in 2018,” http://www.nea.gov.cn, accessed Jan. 2019.
- Shanghai Municipal People’s Government , “Interpretation of the 13th Five Year Plan for Energy Development in Shanghai,” http://www.shanghai.gov.cn/nw2, accessed Aug. 2019.
- Dong, Y.M., Wu, J.J., and Xia, Y. , “Study on the Difference of Calorific Value of Coal Based on Different Standards at Home and Abroad,” Cement Engineering 03:15-18, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13697/j.cnki.32-1449/tu.2017.03.005.
- Xu, J.Z., Wang, C., and Zhang, Y.H. , “Study on the Determination Method of Carbon Content and Hydrogen Content in Gasoline,” Guangzhou Chemical Industry 4314:136-139, 2015.
- Gong, W.L. , “The Application Study on Determination of Carbon, Hydrogen and Nitrogen Content in Coal by Elemental Analyzer,” Coal Quality Technology 01:38-41, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1007-7677.2018.01.011.
- Autohome Website , “Saic-Roewe I6,” https://www.autohome.com.cn/4246/, accessed Aug. 2019.
- Autohome Website , “Saic-Roewe I6 EV,” https://www.autohome.com.cn/4263/, accessed Aug. 2019.
- Autohome Website , “Saic-Roewe ei5,” https://www.autohome.com.cn/4554/, accessed Aug. 2019.
- Zhou, F.K. , “Research on Powertrain Parameter Design and Vehicle Control Strategy for Pure Electric Vehicle,” Ph.D. thesis, Automotive Engineering Department, Jilin University, Changchun, 2013.
- Sun, X., Zhang, P., and Zhao, M.N. , “Life Cycle Energy Consumptions and Environmental Impact Assessment of the Gasoline Engine,” Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae 36(08):3059-3065, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13671/j.hjkxxb.2015.0753.
- Shen, W.X., Zhang, B., Ding, N. et al. , “Energy Consumption and Greenhouse Gases Related to Production and Operation of Battery Electric Vehicles,” Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae 37(11):4409-4417, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13671/j.hjkxxb.2017.0208.
- Ofweek Website , “How Much Energy Does it Take to Produce a Power Battery,” https://libattery.ofweek.com/2017-07/, accessed July 2017.
- Zhao, Z.J., Zhang, P., Zhao, M.N. et al. , “Analysis of Energy Consumption and Carbon Emissions for Automobile Manufacturing Process,” China Population, Resources and Environment 27(S1):186-190, 2017.
- The First Electric Network , “Explain the Energy Consumption and Emission in the Process of Power Battery Life Cycle Manufacturing and Recycling, As Well as the Impact on the Environment,” www.d1ev.com, accessed Nov. 2017.
- Wang, Q.H., Xu, J.H., and Ma, X.M. , “On Shenzhen Power Plants Carbon Emissions, Cost of Reduction and Quota Distribution,” China Opening Journal 03:88-93, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1004-6623.2013.03.013.
- Sichuan: Clean Energy Power Generation Accounts for More than 80% of Total Power Generation, and Hydropower Installed Capacity Ranks First in China,” Sichuan Water Power 37(01):110, 2018.
- Li, S., Fan, Y.H., and Pan, Z.L. , “Overview of Control Methods for Improving Efficiency of Motor System,” Automotive Digest 06:27-31, 2019.