This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Golf Car and Personal Transport Vehicle Brake-Induced Directional Instability—Testing and Simulation Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Full-scale instrumented vehicle dynamic brake testing of golf cars and Personal Transport Vehicles (PTVs) is presented and compared to the predictions generated by a previously described simple Matlab-based dynamic vehicle simulation program employing commonly used automotive vehicle modeling techniques. It is shown experimentally that many current golf car and PTV brake designs, which employ brakes on only the rear wheels, can lead to rollovers if the brakes are applied while traveling at high speed, on steep downhill slopes, and/or on low-friction surfaces and that this behavior is exacerbated by lateral forces such as steering inputs and road superelevation. After summarizing four rollover case studies, test-specific and parametric simulation results are compared to the results of full-scale on-site testing and are shown to provide accurate predictions of the resulting vehicle motions, including brake-induced yaw instability and subsequent rollover.
CitationSeluga, K. and Hartzsch, J., "Golf Car and Personal Transport Vehicle Brake-Induced Directional Instability—Testing and Simulation Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5102, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5102.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) , “National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS) Database,” http://www.cpsc.gov/Neiss/oracle.html, accessed May 2020.
- U.S. Census Bureau , www.census.gov, accessed May 2020.
- Tung, M.Y.Y., Hong, A., and Chan, C. , “Golf Buggy Related Head Injuries,” Singapore Medical Journal 41(10):504-505, 2000.
- O’Brien, C., Rutherford, G., and Marcy, N. . “The Hazard Screening Report—Sports Activities and Equipment (Excluding Major Team Sports),” US Consumer Product Safety Commission, Washington, DC, 2005.
- McGwin, G. Jr., Zoghby, J.T., Griffin, R., and Rue, L.W. III , “Incidence of Golf Cart-Related Injury in the United States,” Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 64(6):1562-1566, 2008.
- Watson, D.S., Mehan, T.J., Smith, G.A., and McKenzie, L.B. , “Golf Cart-Related Injuries in the US,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine 35(1):55-59, 2008.
- Liptai, L. and Johnston, M. , “Forensic Engineering Analysis of Golf Course, Golf Cart, Golf Club and Golf Ball Incidents,” National Academy of Forensic Engineers, 2011, https://journal.nafe.org/ojs/index.php/nafe/article/view/731.
- Miller, B.L., Waller, J.L., and McKinnon, B.J. , “Craniofacial Injuries due to Golf Cart Trauma,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery 144(6):883-887, 2011.
- Sciarretta, J.D., Harris, T., Romano, A., Davis, B.D. et al. , “Golf Cart-Related Injuries: A Community at Risk,” The American Surgeon 82(1):E36, 2016.
- Starnes, J.R., Unni, P., Fathy, C.A., Harms, K.A. et al. , “Characterization of Pediatric Golf Cart Injuries to Guide Injury Prevention Efforts,” The American Journal of Emergency Medicine 36(6):1049-1052, 2018.
- Devanney, J. , “Illinois Club Sued Over Cart Mishap,” Golf Course News, Nov. 2001.
- Staff Report, “1 Critical after Wente Golf Course Crash,” Contra Costa Times, Aug. 18, 2007.
- Annese, J. , “Tragic Turn for Teen in Freak Mishap,” Staten Island Advance, Aug. 30, 2007.
- Zbrandt, A. , Man Charged in Golf Cart Crash, Helena Independent Record, Sept. 12, 2007.
- Staff Report, “Golf Cart Rolls Over,” Journal Times, Oct. 4, 2007.
- GreenvilleOnline.com , Staff Report, “Ex-Green Resident Killed in Accident,” May 30, 2008.
- Sasse, S. , “GA Woman Dead after Golf Car Accident,” www.wrdw.com, July 20, 2008.
- Lekfoe, A. , “Teen Killed in Golf Cart Accident,” WHAS11.com, July 29, 2010.
- Gainesvilletimes.com , Staff Report, “Woman Injured in Friday Golf Cart Accident Dies,” Aug. 9, 2010.
- Nelms, B. , “Tyrone Golf Cart Mishap Injures 12-Year-Old Girl,” www.thecitizen.com, June 3, 2012.
- Chan, C. , “Mother of NASCAR’s Busch Brothers Injured in Golf-Cart Crash,” www.azcental.com, Mar. 3, 2013.
- wlfi.com , Staff Report, “Golf Cart Crash at Girl Scout Camp Sends Two to Hospital,” June 25, 2013.
- Russell, E. , “Golf Cart Accident Injures 5 on Maine Island,” www.pressherald.com, July 31, 2013.
- Wright, T. , “Seven Minors Injured in Point Dume Golf Cart Accident,” www.malibutimes.com, Aug. 19, 2015.
- Zell, C. , “Muskego High School Volleyball Star Recovers after Near-Death Crash,” www.tmj4.com, Nov. 10, 2017.
- Frazer, I. , “Softball: Ashleigh Grace’s Passion for Softball Pushes Her in Recovery from Serious Accident,” www.forsythnews.com, Oct. 1, 2018.
- Seluga, K.J., and Ojalvo, I.U. , “Braking Hazards of Golf Cars and Low Speed Vehicles,” Accident Analysis & Prevention 38(6):1151-1156, 2006.
- Seluga, K.J., Baker, L.L., and Ojalvo, I.U. , “A Parametric Study of Golf Car and Personal Transport Vehicle Braking Stability and Their Deficiencies,” Accident Analysis & Prevention 41(4):839-848, 2009.
- Farwell, H.G. , “Automotive Brake and Clutch Practice Here and Abroad,” SAE Technical Paper 220045, 1922, https://doi.org/10.4271/220045.
- Schipper, J. , “Passenger-Car Brakes,” SAE Technical Paper 220015, 1922, https://doi.org/10.4271/220015.
- Loughead, M. , “Hydraulic Four-Wheel Brakes for Automotive Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 230041, 1923, https://doi.org/10.4271/230041.
- Perrot, H. , “Four-Wheel Brakes,” SAE Technical Paper 240015, 1924, https://doi.org/10.4271/240015.
- Olen, W.A. , “Effects of Front-Wheel Stability on Public Safety,” SAE Technical Paper 340082, 1934, https://doi.org/10.4271/340082.
- Collins, J.C. , Accident Reconstruction (Springfield, IL: Thomas, 1979).
- Allen, R.W., Szostak, H.T., Rosenthal, T.J., Klyde, D.H. et al. , “Characteristics Influencing Ground Vehicle Lateral/Directional Dynamic Stability,” SAE Technical Paper 910234, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910234.
- Pacejka, H. , Tire and Vehicle Dynamics (San Diego, CA: Elsevier, 2005).
- Club Car Inc. , “Precedent Golf Car Owner’s Manual,” Augusta, GA, 2016.
- E-Z-GO , “2013-2018 Owner’s GuideTXT Freedom Electric,” 633138-E, 2018, www.ezgo.com, accessed May 2020.
- Yamaha Golf Car Company , “Yamaha Drive2 2019 Golf Car Owner’s/Operator’s Manual,” LIT-19626-A0-27, J0K-F8199-10, 2019, golfcars.yamaha-owners-manuals.com, accessed May 2020.
- The Columbia Vehicle Group, “TomberlineE-Merge Operator’s Manual,” https://tomberlinusa.com/our-vehicles/, accessed May 2020.
- BuggiesUnlimited.com , “Jake’s Hydraulic Brake Kits for Golf Carts,” 2020, https://www.buggiesunlimited.com/Golf-cart/hydraulic-brakes/191, accessed May 2020.
- GolfCarCatalog.com , “Performance Disc Brake Kits (Front and Rear),” 2020, https://www.golfcarcatalog.com/motors-controllers-and-performance-parts/performance-parts/performance-disc-brake-kits.html, accessed May 2020.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) , “Safety Standard for Personnel and Burden Carriers B56.8-2011,” 2011.
- SAE International , “Surface Vehicle Standard (R) Light Utility Vehicles J2258-2016,” 2016.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) , “American National Standard for Golf Cars-Safety and Performance Specifications Z130.1-2012,” 2012.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) , “American National Standard for Transport Vehicles—Safety and Performance Specifications Z135-2012,” 2012.
- SAE International , “Surface Vehicle Standard (R) Low Speed Vehicles J2358-2016,” 2016.
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) , “Title 49—Transportation, Chapter V—National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Department of Transportation, Part 571—Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, 571.500 Standard No. 500; Low-Speed Vehicles,” 2003.
- Suresh, B., and Wambold, J. , “Effect of an Add-on Cab on the Golf-Cart’s Rollover Characteristics,” SAE Technical Paper 940275, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940275.
- Elias, J. , “Inspection and Testing of Low Speed Vehicles,” NHTSA Technical Report, 1998.