This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact of Jojoba Bio-Gasoline as an Octane Booster on the Performance, Abnormal Combustion, and Emissions of a Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
In this article, an experimental investigation on octane boosting was performed using a renewable material. A fully instrumented research spark-ignition engine, Ricardo E6/MS, was used to perform the experiments. This experimental work was achieved to reveal the effect of Jojoba bio-gasoline, as an octane booster, and its effect on basic gasoline specifications. Therefore different blends of basic gasoline (a mixture of reformate and isomerated gasoline) and Jojoba bio-gasoline were prepared. Also, the influences of using such blends on the performance and emissions at various operating conditions, as well as the engine knock and pre-ignition were intensively examined. The investigation revealed that boosted gasoline with a research octane number of 90, 92, and 95 can be obtained by blending basic gasoline with 13, 16, and 20.9% of Jojoba bio-gasoline, respectively. These blends exhibited negligible changes in gasoline specifications, brake power, fuel consumption, and emissions compared with those of commercial gasolines. Moreover, greater engine resistance to knock and pre-ignition were experienced with boosted gasoline compared to normal gasoline at all engine speeds. Thus, the spark-ignition engine could run steadily with such blends without any modifications.
CitationRadwan, M., Abu-Elyazeed, O., Bakry, M., and Attai, Y., "Impact of Jojoba Bio-Gasoline as an Octane Booster on the Performance, Abnormal Combustion, and Emissions of a Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5094, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5094.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Morita, K. , “Automotive Power Source in the 21st Century,” Journal Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 24:3-7, 2003.
- Final Report of the Biofuels Research Advisory Council, “A Vision for 2030 and Beyond,” 2006.
- Radwan, M.S., Elfeky, S.M.S., and Abu-Elyazeed, O.S.M. , “An Investigation on Abnormal Combustion, Emissions and Performance of Jojoba Bio-Gasoline and Its Blends with Gasoline in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1599, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1599.
- Radwan, M.S., Attai, Y.A., and Hassan, Y.I. , “Knock and Pre-Ignition in Spark-Ignition Engine Fuelled by Different Blends of Jojoba Bio-Gasoline with Kerosene,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5046, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5046.
- Lane, G.C. , “Gasoline and Other Motor Fuels,” in Grayson, M., ed., Kirk-Othmer Encyclopaedia of Chemical Technology, Third Edition, Vol. 11 (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1980), 652-695.
- Anderson, J., DiCicco, D., Ginder, J., Kramer, U. et al. , “High Octane Number Ethanol-Gasoline Blends: Quantifying the Potential Benefits in the United States,” Fuel 97:585-594, 2012.
- Boot, M.D., Tian, M., Hensen, E.J.M., and Sarathy, S.M. , “Impact of Fuel Molecular Structure on Auto-Ignition Behavior—Design Rules for Future High Performance Gasolines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 60:1-25, 2017.
- Wang, C., Li, Y., Xu, C., Badawy, T. et al. , “Methanol as an Octane Booster for Gasoline Fuels,” Fuel 248:76-84, 2019.
- Zhi, W., Hui, L., and Rolf, D.R. , “Knocking Combustion in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 61:78-112, 2017.
- Yücesu, H.S., Topgül, T., Cinar, C., and Okur, M. , “Effect of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends on Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions in Different Compression Ratios,” Applied Thermal Eng. 26:2272-2278, 2006.
- Costa, R.C., and Sodré, J.R. , “Compression Ratio Effects on an Ethanol/Gasoline Fuelled Engine Performance,” Applied Thermal Eng. 31:278-278, 2011.
- Badra, J., AlRamadan, A.S., and Sarathy, S.M. , “Optimization of the Octane Response of Gasoline/Ethanol Blends,” Applied Energy 203:778-793, 2017.
- Hao, C., Jingjing, H., and Xianglin, Z. , “Engine Combustion and Emission Fuelled with Natural Gas: A Review,” Journal of the Energy Institute 92(4):1123-1136, 2019.
- Malee, S., Walter, E.A., and Daniel, E.R. , “Ring Contraction and Selective Ring Opening of Naphthenic Molecules for Octane Number Improvement,” Applied Catalysis A: General 325:175-187, 2007.
- Gautam, M., and Martin, D.W. , “Combustion Characteristics of Higher Alcohol/Gasoline,” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 214(Part A):497-511, 2000.
- Hamadi, A. , “Selective Additives for Improvement of Gasoline Octane Number,” Tikrit Journal of Eng. Sciences 17(2):22-35, 2010.
- Demirbasa, A., Balubaida, M.A., Basahela, A.M., Ahmada, W. et al. , “Octane Rating of Gasoline and Octane Booster Additives,” Petroleum Science and Technology 33(11):1190-1197, 2015.
- Szybist, J., Foster, M., Moore, W.R., Confer, K. et al. , “Investigation of Knock Limited Compression Ratio of Ethanol Gasoline Blends,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0619, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0619.
- Pourkhesalian, A.M., Shamekhi, A.H., and Salimi, F. , “Alternative Fuel and Gasoline in an SI Engine: A Comparative Study of Performance and Emissions Characteristics,” Fuel 89:1056-1063, 2010.
- Schifter, I., Diaz, L., Rodriguez, R., Gómez, J. et al. , “Combustion and Emissions Behavior for Ethanol-Gasoline Blends in a Single Cylinder Engine,” Fuel 90:3586-3592, 2011.
- Christos, K., Kareemuddin, S., Gautam, K., Hassan, B. et al. , “SuperButol—A Novel High-Octane Gasoline Blending Component,” Fuel 195:165-173, 2017.
- Liu, W., Shadloo, M.S., Tlili, I., Maleki, A. et al. , “The Effect of Alcohol-Gasoline Fuel Blends on the Engines’ Performances and Emissions,” Fuel 276(15):117977, 2020.
- Celik, M.B. , “Experimental Determination of Suitable Ethanol-Gasoline Blend Rate at High Compression Ratio for Gasoline Engine,” Applied Thermal Eng. 28:396-404, 2008.
- Stein, R.A., House, C.J., and Leone, T.G. , “Optimal Use of E85 in a Turbocharged Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2(1):670-682, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1490.
- Nakata, K., Sasaki, N., Ota, A., and Kawatake, K. , “The Effect of Fuel Properties on Thermal Efficiency of Advanced Spark-Ignition Engines,” Int. J. Engine Res. 12:274-281, 2011.
- Niven, R.K. , “Ethanol in Gasoline: Environmental Impacts and Sustainability Review Article,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 9:535-555, 2005.
- Yacoub, Y., Bata, R., and Gautam, M. , “The Performance and Emission Characteristics of C1-C5 Alcohol-Gasoline Blends with Matched Oxygen Content in a Single Cylinder Spark Ignition Engine,” Proc. Institution Mech. Eng. Part A: J. Power Energy 212:363-379, 1998.
- H, O., Bae, C., and Min, K. , “Spray and Combustion Characteristics of Ethanol Blended Gasoline in a Spray Guided DISI Engine under Lean Stratified Operation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(2):213-222, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2152.
- Sarathy, S.M., Oßwald, P., Hansen, N., and Kohse, K. , “Alcohol Combustion Chemistry,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 44:40-102, 2014.
- Thomas, V., and Kwong, A. , “Ethanol as a Lead Replacement: Phasing out Leaded Gasoline in Africa,” Energy Policy 29:1133-1143, 2001.
- Agarwal, A.K. , “Biofuels (Alcohols and Biodiesel) Applications as Fuels for Internal Combustion Engines,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 33:233-271, 2007.
- Hsieh, W.-D., Chen, R.-H., Wu, T.-L., and Lin, T.-H. , “Engine Performance and Pollutant Emission of an SI Engine Using Ethanol-Gasoline Blended Fuels,” Atmos. Environ. 36:403-410, 2002.
- Canakci, M., Ozsezen, A.N., Alptekin, E., and Eyidogan, M. , “Impact of Alcohol-Gasoline Fuel Blends on the Exhaust Emission of an SI Engine,” Renew. Energy 52:111-117, 2013.
- Stein, R., Anderson, J., and Wallington, T. , “An Overview of the Effects of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends on SI Engine Performance, Fuel Efficiency, and Emissions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):470-487, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1635.
- Akihama, K., Kosaka, H., Hotta, Y., Nishikawa, K. et al. , “An Investigation of High Load (Compression Ignition) Operation of the ‘Naphtha Engine’ a Combustion Strategy for Low Well-to-Wheel CO2 Emissions,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):920-932, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1599.
- Al-Hasan, M. , “Effect of Ethanol-Unleaded Gasoline Blends on Engine Performance and Exhaust Emission,” Energy Conversion and Management 44:1547-1561, 2003.
- Yücesu, H.S., Sozen, A., Topgül, T., and Arcaklioglu, E. , “Comparative Study of Mathematical and Experimental Analysis of Spark Ignition Engine Performance Used Ethanol-Gasoline Blend Fuel,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 27:358-368, 2007.
- Geo, V.E., Godwin, D.J., Thiyagarajan, S., Saravanan, C.G. et al. , “Effect of Higher and Lower Order Alcohol Blending with Gasoline on Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of SI Engine,” Fuel 256(15):115806, 2019.
- Amine, M., Awad, E.N., Ibrahim, V., and Barakat, Y. , “Effect of Ethyl Acetate Addition on Phase Stability, Octane Number and Volatility Criteria of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends,” Egyptian Journal of Petroleum 27(4):567-572, 2018.
- Abdellatief, T.M.M., Ershov, M.A., and Kapustin, V.M. , “New Recipes for Producing a High-Octane Gasoline Based on Naphtha from Natural Gas Condensate,” Fuel 276:118075, 2020.
- Robert, K.N. , “Ethanol in Gasoline: Environmental Impacts and Sustainability Review Article,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 9:535-555, 2005.
- Vallinayagam, R., Vedharaj, S., Nimal, N., William, L.R. et al. , “Terpineol as a Novel Octane Booster for Extending the Knock Limit of Gasoline,” Fuel 187:9-15, 2017.
- Singh, E., Shankar, V.S.B., Tripathi, R., Pitsch, H. et al. , “2-Methylfuran: A Bio-Derived Octane Booster for Spark-Ignition Engines,” Fuel 225:349-357, 2018.
- Samoilov, V.O., Borisov, R.S., Stolonogova, T.I. et al. , “Glycerol to Renewable Fuel Oxygenates. Part II: Gasoline-Blending Characteristics of Glycerol and Glycol Derivatives with C3-C4 Alkyl (Idene) Substituents,” Fuel 280:118585, 2020.
- Vallinayagam, R., Vedharaj, S., William, L.R., Robert, W.D. et al. , “Performance and Emissions of Gasoline Blended with Terpineol as an Octane Booster,” Renewable Energy 101:1087-1093, 2017.
- Pan, M., Wei, H., Feng, D., Pan, J. et al. , “Experimental Study on Combustion Characteristics and Emission Performance of 2-Phenylethanol Addition in a Downsized Gasoline Engine,” Energy 163:894-904, 2018.
- Afotey, B. , “Impact Assessment of Metal-Based Octane Boosters: A Literature Review,” International Journal of Energy Engineering 8(3):67-88, 2018.
- Anushree, A.K., Jitendra, K., and Thallada, B. , “Utilization of Lignin: A Sustainable and Eco-Friendly Approach,” Journal of the Energy Institute 93:235-271, 2020.
- Hassan, S.N., Sani, Y.M., Abdul Aziz, A.R., Sulaiman, N.M.N. et al. , “Biogasoline: An Out-of-the-Box Solution to the Food-for-Fuel and Land-Use Competitions,” Energy Conversion and Management 89:349-367, 2015.
- Radwan, M.S., Helali, A.H.B., Elfeky, S.M., and Attai, Y.A. , “An Investigation on Knock and Pre-ignition with Tumble Induced Turbulence,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3557, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3557.
- Stanislav, B.V., and Assanis, D.N. , “Effect of Exhaust Valve Timing on Gasoline Engine Performance and Hydrocarbon Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3058, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3058.
- Sayin, C., Kilicaslan, I., Canakci, M., and Ozsezen, N. , “An Experimental Study of the Effect of Octane Number Higher Than Engine Requirement on the Engine Performance and Emissions,” Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering 35:345-355, 24 July 2004.
- Al-Farayedhi, A.A. , “Effects of Octane Number on Exhaust Emissions of a Spark Ignition Engine,” International Journal of Energy Research 26:279-289, 2002.
- Stone, R. , Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines (Hong Kong: Macmillan, 1992).