This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Micro-Perforated Panel in Automotive Vehicle Noise Refinement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
To meet the regulatory requirements and improve passenger comfort inside the automotive vehicles, there is a need to reduce the interior noise levels. Generally, several components contribute to the interior noise rise in vehicles. The noise from the components can be reduced by directly working on the source or with passive methods. This paper focuses on the passive noise reduction methods. The passive method involves the usage of porous or fibrous sound-absorbing materials to absorb sound energy. The acoustic performance of these materials degrades because of heat, oil, and aging. In this paper, the application of acoustic material named micro-perforated panel (MPP) in an innovative way for sound absorption purposes is presented. These panels generally contain circular or slit-shaped perforations. The perforation sizes are generally in the submillimeter range. These panels are made with aluminum or steel, and hence these can be used in high temperatures and fire-resistant applications. This panel, when placed in front of a rigid wall with some backing cavity depth, forms an MPP absorber. The sound absorption coefficient (SAC) of an MPP absorber is validated in an impedance tube for various backing cavity depths. The study of the effect of sound incidence angle, sidewall material, and backing cavity partitioning on the sound absorption performance is carried out in an enclosure. The comparison of the absorber performance with polyurethane foam (PUF) is also shown. Later the MPP absorber is used for the noise reduction of a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) blower and for the development of a silencer for the air compressor noise reduction.
CitationThaveedu, J., Padavala, P., and Medisetti, J., "Application of Micro-Perforated Panel in Automotive Vehicle Noise Refinement," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5078, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5078.
- Herrin , D. , Liu , J.H. , and Seybert , A. Properties and Applications of Micro-Perforated Panels Journal of Sound Vibration 45 6 9 2011
- Maa , D.Y. Theory and Design of Microperforated Panel Sound Absorbing Constructions Scientia Sinica 18 55 71 1975
- Maa , D.-Y. Microperforated Panel Wide-band Absorber Noise Control Engineering Journal 29 77 84 1987
- Maa , D.Y. Potential of Micro-perforated Panel Absorber Journal of Acoustical Society of American 104 2861 2866 1998
- Maa , D.Y. Theory of Microslit Absorbers Acta Acustica 25 6 481 485 2000
- Toyoda , M. and Takahashi , D. Sound Transmission through a Micro-Perforated Panel Structure with Subdivided Air Cavities Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 124 3594 3603 2008
- Tan , W.-H. , Afendi , M. , Ahmad , R. , Daud , R. et al. Sound Absorption Analysis on Micro-Perforated Panel Sound Absorber with Multiple Size Air Cavities International Journal of Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering IJMME-IJENS 15 05 71 76 2015
- Yamagiva , I. , Horio , M. , Nakaoka , S. , and Yamada , T. Eco Kyuon -- Microperforated Sound Absorbing Panel Kobelco Technology Review 34 32 37 March 2016
- ISO 10534-2:1998