This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New CFAR Detection Algorithm Based on Sorting Selection for Vehicle Millimeter Wave Radar
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper, a CFAR detection algorithm based on sorting selection is proposed for the vehicle millimeter wave radar in the actual detection. The principle of this algorithm is derived from the mean class CFAR and the ordered selection class (OS) CFAR algorithm. First, CA-CFAR and SO-CFAR are simulated and detected in the presence of extended range targets, and it is found that the detection performance can be improved by changing the protection unit. At the same time, the proposed method was tested and compared under the same conditions. Results show that although the detection performances of CA and SO-CFAR can be improved by increasing the number of protection units, they are not suitable for practical applications. However, the proposed method not only has no need for protection units but also has better detection performance. Then, CA-CFAR, SO-CFAR and the new algorithm are verified and compared using the real data obtained by a stationary vehicle. Results show that the detection performance of the proposed CFAR algorithm is significantly better than that of others. Finally, the new algorithm is tested in the case of self-driving motion. The measured data of three time points are selected for detection. The new CFAR algorithm can detect the target of interest in the distance dimension, which proves the feasibility of the algorithm.
CitationRuida, C., Yicheng, J., Zhenwei, M., Gang, Y. et al., "A New CFAR Detection Algorithm Based on Sorting Selection for Vehicle Millimeter Wave Radar," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5019, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Mori, K., Takahashi, T., Ide, I., Murase, H., Miyahara, T., and Tamatsu, Y. , “Recognition of Foggy Conditions by In-Vehicle Camera and Millimeter Wave Radar,” in 2007 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Istanbul, 2007, 87-92, https://doi.org/10.1109/IVS.2007.4290096.
- Wang, C., Gong, S., Zhou, A., Li, T., and Peeta, S. , “Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control for Connected Autonomous Vehicles by Factoring Communication-Related Constraints,” Transportation Research Part C, 2019.
- Yuqing, Z., Daisuke, I., and Koji, M. , “AEB Effectiveness Evaluation Based on Car-to-Cyclist Accident Reconstructions Using Video of Drive Recorder,” Traffic Injury Prevention, 2019.
- Gaspar, J.G., Schwarz, C.W., Brown, T.L., and Kang, J. , “Gaze Position Modulates the Effectiveness of Forward Collision Warnings for Drowsy Drivers,” Accident Analysis and Prevention 126, 2019.
- Moore, V., Dufour, R., and Nemargut, J.P. , “Letter to the Editor: Auditory Global Positioning System and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems: A Safer Alternative to Bioptic Telescopes for Drivers Who Are Visually Impaired,” Optometry and Vision Science 96(5), 2019.
- Hatem, G.M., Saeed, T.R., and Abdul Sadah, J.W. , “Comparative Study of Combined CFAR Algorithms for Non-Homogenous Environment,” Procedia Computer Science 131, 2018.
- Minett, J.W., Leung, S.W., Siu, Y.M. and Lee, M.K. , “Shadow-Feature-Enhanced ML-CFAR Detection for a Swerling 1 Target in Weibull Clutter,” in Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE Radar Conference, Cat. No. 01CH37200, Atlanta, GA, 2001, 444-447, https://doi.org/10.1109/NRC.2001.923020.
- Wong, C.M. , “CA-CFAR in Weibull Background,” in Proceedings of 2000 2nd International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Chinese Institute of Electronics (CIE), IEEE Beijing Section, 2000:4.
- Cai, L., Ma, X., Yan, S., Hao, C., and Wang, R. , “Some Analysis of Fuzzy CAGO/SO CFAR Detector in Non-Gaussian Background,” in 2010 2nd International Workshop on Intelligent Systems and Applications, Wuhan, 2010, 1-4, https://doi.org/10.1109/IWISA.2010.5473461.
- Pace, P.E. and Taylor, L.L. , “False Alarm Analysis of the Envelope Detection GO-CFAR Processor,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems 30(3):848-864, July 1994, https://doi.org/10.1109/7.303754.
- Rohling, H. , “Radar CFAR Thresholding in Clutter and Multiple Target Situations,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace & Electronic Systems 19(4):608-621, 1983.
- Rohling, H. and Mende, R. , “OS CFAR Performance in a 77 GHz Radar Sensor for Car Application,” in Proceedings of International Radar Conference, Beijing, China, 1996, 109-114, https://doi.org/10.1109/ICR.1996.573784.
- Zhao, L., Liu, W., Xin, W., and Fu, J.S. , “A Novel Approach for CFAR Processors Design,” in Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE Radar Conference (Cat. No.01CH37200), Atlanta, GA, 2001, 284-288, https://doi.org/10.1109/NRC.2001.922992.
- Meng, X. and He, Y. , “Two Generalized Greatest of Selection CFAR Algorithms,” in 2001 CIE International Conference on Radar Proceedings (Cat No.01TH8559), Beijing, China, 2001, 359-362, https://doi.org/10.1109/ICR.2001.984700.
- Hang, H. , “Study and Simulations on CFAR Detection in Pulse Doppler Radar Processor,” in 2006 7th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory, Guilin, 2006, 1-4, https://doi.org/10.1109/ISAPE.2006.353285.
- Hezarkhani, A. and Kashaninia, A. , “Performance Analysis of a CA-CFAR Detector in the Interfering Target and Homogeneous Background,” in 2011 International Conference on Electronics, Communications and Control (ICECC), Ningbo, 2011, 1568-1572, https://doi.org/10.1109/ICECC.2011.6066327.
- Jalil, A., Yousaf, H., and Baig, M.I. , “Analysis of CFAR Techniques,” in 2016 13th International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (IBCAST), Islamabad, 2016, 654-659, https://doi.org/10.1109/IBCAST.2016.7429949.