This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Concept for a Freight Efficient Heavy Duty Truck Chassis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 27, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As part of the Volvo SuperTruck II effort to achieve a 100 percent improvement in heavy truck freight efficiency, an alternative chassis concept was developed to decrease tractor chassis weight and provide additional payload capacity. Performance enabling features such as flexible roll formed side rails, high strength aluminum, and air tank cross members were implemented to achieve these goals. Analytical methods for evaluation of chassis stiffness, modal frequency, and fatigue-life are provided. Comparisons between the reference vehicle and the SuperTruck II chassis demonstrate that critical design and performance criteria have not been compromised. Calculations are provided to show the link between chassis design features and freight efficiency. These calculations show that the SuperTruck II chassis provides a freight efficiency improvement up to 1.9%, which translates to a 2019 annual cost avoidance as high as $2181 per truck relative to the reference vehicle.
CitationOstergaard, E., Angelini, N., and Aguero, R., "Concept for a Freight Efficient Heavy Duty Truck Chassis," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5010, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5010.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
- “Advanced Systems Level Technology Development, Integration and Demonstration for Efficient Class 8 Trucks (SuperTruck II),” Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) Number: DE-FOA-0001447, https://eere-exchange.energy.gov, 2016.
- Exler, R.L. , “Frame Rigidity - How Much and Where,” SAE Technical Paper 640017, 1964, https://doi.org/10.4271/640017.
- Vallejo, R. , “Full Frame Fatigue Test on Heavy Trucks and Their Set Up Using Finite Element Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2667, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2667.
- Edara, R., Shih, S., Tamini, N., Palmer, T. et al. , “18 Wheel Truck Dynamic and Durability Analysis using Virtual Proving Ground,” in 10th International LS_DYNA Users Conference, 2008, 25-38.
- Karita, K., Kohiyama, Y., Kobiki, T., Ooshima, K. et al. , “Development of Aluminum Frame for Heavy-Duty Trucks,” Mitsubishi Mot. Tech. Rev. 15:81-84, 2003.
- Smith, T., Rickli, J., Fleming, S., and Camelio, J.A. , “Residual Stress Analysis of Punched Holes in 6013 Aluminum Alloy Commercial Vehicle Side Rails,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 3(1):32-41, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1909.
- De, S., Singh, K., Alanbay, B., Kapania, R. et al. , “Structural Optimization of Truck Front-Frame Under Multiple Load Cases,” in International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, Pittsburgh, PA, Nov. 9-15, 2018, ASME.
- De, S., Singh, K., Seo, J., Kapania, R. et al. , “Unconventional Truck Chassis Design with Multi-Functional Cross Members,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0839, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0839.
- De, S., Singh, K., Seo, J., Kapania, R. et al. , “Structural Design and Optimization of Commercial Vehicles Chassis under Multiple Load Cases and Constraints,” in AIAA SciTech Forum, AIAA, San Diego, CA, 2019, 1-16, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2019-0705.
- Gillespie, T. , “Heavy Truck Ride,” SAE Technical Paper 850001, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850001.
- Dowling, N.E. , Mechanical Behavior of Materials Third Edition (Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc., 2007). ISBN:0-13-186312-6.
- American Trucking Association , “Relationships Between Truck Components and Fuel Economy,” ATA TMC Recomm. Pract. RP 1111B, 2013.
- Paterlini, G., Yucel, S., Lucking, M.M., and Magnuson, J. , “Rolling Resistance Validation,” Report No. MN/RC 2015-39, Minnesota Department of Transportation Office of Transportation System Management, 2015, 22.
- Stein, D.F., Bernard, J.E., Eagleburger, J., Farris, R.J. et al. , “Tires and Passenger Vehicle Fuel Economy,” Transportation Research Board Special Report 286, 2006, xvi, ISBN:0309094216.
- Ragatz, A., Thornton, M., Ragatz, A., and Thornton, M. , “Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Technologies Testing of Heavy-Duty Vocational Vehicles and a Dry Van Trailer,” Oct. 2016.
- Browand, F. , “Reducing Aerodynamic Drag and Fuel Consumption,” in Global Climate and Energy Project Workshop on Advanced Transportation, Stanford University, Oct. 10-11, 2005, 1-27.
- Reinhart, T.E. , “Commercial Medium- and Heavy-Duty Truck Fuel Efficiency Technology Study - Report #1 (Report No. DOT HS 812 146),” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC, 2015.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration, I.S.& A. , “Weekly Retail Gasoline and Diesel Prices,” https://www.eia.gov, 2019.
- Hooper, A. and Murray, D. , “An Analysis of the Operational Costs of Trucking: 2018 Update,” in Am. Transp. Res. Inst. (ATRI), Arlington, VA, Oct. 2018.