This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of the Driver’s Driving Style on the EXHAUST Emissions of a Passenger Car during a Real Road Cycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The research was carried out using the Horiba OBS ONE GS12 portable emission measurement system (PEMS), installed on a Skoda Octavia III 1.4 TSI vehicle. The scope of research included performing a validation test in emission laboratory on a chassis dynamometer in order to check if the operation of the measuring system is correct and performing three real driving emission tests on public roads in Bielsko-Biala and the surrounding area. Each of tests was performed with a different driving dynamics to determine the effect of the driver's driving style on the vehicle's emissions in real road cycle. Each RDE test consisted of three parts (urban, rural and motorway). During the tests the program Horiba DMC was used. However, the obtained results were calculated using the DIAdem program. After the tests, exhaust gas emissions as a function of time and exhaust emissions dependent on driving dynamics were presented and analysed graphically. These diagrams illustrate the impact of driving dynamics on the exhaust emissions in a good way.
CitationSatlawa, M., Pajdowski, P., and Pietras, D., "The Impact of the Driver’s Driving Style on the EXHAUST Emissions of a Passenger Car during a Real Road Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2214, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2214.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Merkisz, J., Pielecha, J., Radzimirski, S. , “New Trends in Emission Control in the European Union”, Springer Tracts on Transportation and Traffic, Volume 4, ISSN 2194-8119, ISBN 978-3-319-02704-3, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-02705-0, Springer Cham Heidelberg New York Dordrecht London, Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2014.
- Pajdowski, P., Woodburn, J., Bielaczyc, P., and Puchalka, B. , “Development of RDE Test Methodology in Light of Euro 6d Emissions Limits,” Combustion Engines 178(3):274-282, 2019, https://doi.org/10.19206/CE-2019-348.
- Szymlet, N., Lijewski, P., Sokolnicka, B., Siedlecki, M., and Domowicz, A. , “Analysis of Research Method, Results and Regulations Regarding the Exhaust Emissions from Two-Wheeled Vehicles under Actual Operating Conditions,” Journal of Ecological Engineering 21(1):128-139, January 2020, https://doi.org/10.12911/22998993/113077.
- Pajdowski, P., Woodburn, J., Bielaczyc, P., and Puchałka, B. , “Development of RDE Test Methodology in Light of Euro 6d Emissions Limits,” Combustion Engines 178(3):274-282, 2019, doi:10.19206/CE-2019-348.
- Bodisco, T., and Zare, A. , “Practicalities and Driving Dynamics of a Real Driving Emissions (RDE) Euro 6 Regulation Homologation Test,” Energies 12(12):2306, doi:10.3390/en12122306.
- Merkisz, J., Bielaczyc, P., Pielecha, J., and Woodburn, J. , “RDE Testing of Passenger Cars: The Effect of the Cold Start on the Emissions Results,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0747, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0747.
- Bielaczyc, P., Merkisz, J., Pielecha, J., and Woodburn, J. , “RDE-Compliant PEMS Testing of a Gasoline Euro 6d-TEMP Passenger Car at Two Ambient Temperatures with a Focus on the Cold Start Effect,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0379, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0379.
- Pathak, S.K., Sood, V., Singh, Y., and Channiwala, S.A. , “Real World Vehicle Emissions: Their Correlation with Driving Parameters,” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 44:157-176, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2016.02.001.
- Gallus, J., Kirchner, U., Vogt, R., Benter, T. , “Impact of Driving Style and Road Grade on Gaseous Exhaust Emissions of Passenger Vehicles Measured by a Portable Emission Measurement System (PEMS)”, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 52: 215-226 Part: A, ISSN: 1361-9209, DOI: 10.1016/j.trd.2017.03.011.
- Giechaskiel, B., Bonnel, P., Perujo, A., and Dilara, P. , “Solid Particle Number (SPN) Portable Emissions Measurement Systems (PEMS) in the European Legislation: A Review,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16(23):4819, doi:10.3390/ijerph16234819.
- Giechaskiel, B., Vlachos, T., Riccobono, F., Forni, F. et al. , “Implementation of Portable Emissions Measurement Systems (PEMS) for the Real-driving Emissions (RDE) Regulation in Europe,” J. Vis. Exp. (118):e54753, 2016, doi:10.3791/54753.
- Varella, R.A., Giechaskiel, B., Sousa, L., and Duarte, G. , “Comparison of Portable Emissions Measurement Systems (PEMS) with Laboratory Grade Equipment,” Applied Sciences-Basel 8(9):1633, doi:10.3390/app8091633.
- Donateo, T., Giovinazzi, M. , “Building a cycle for Real Driving Emissions”, in ATI 2017 - 72nd Conference of The Italian Thermal Machines Engineering Association, Book Series: Energy Procedia, 126 : 891-898, DOI: 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.08.307.
- Pasaoglu, G., Fiorello, D., Martino, A., Scarcella, G., Alemanno, A., Zubaryeva, A., and Thiel, C. , “Driving and Parking Patterns of European Car Drivers - A Mobility Survey,” JRC Report JRC77079, 2012, ISBN: 978-92-79-27739-9, https://doi.org/10.2790/70746.
- European Vehicle Market Statistics, 2018/2019, https://theicct.org/publications/european-vehicle-marketstatistics-20182019, accessed October 1, 2019.