This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Driving Style Impact on the Ecological Indicators of a Diesel Multiple Unit (SAE Paper 2020-01-2213)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The topics covered in the publication are consistent with the global trends that are aimed at reducing the negative environmental impact of human activities, which are implemented simultaneously in two areas: approval and operation. The article presents issues related to the impact of diesel multiple unit operation on the exhaust emission of harmful and toxic components and fuel consumption. Research trials concerned different driving styles and acceleration patterns of the tested vehicle, which can be considered a part of the eco-driving trend. These tests were carried out on a closed track designated for testing rail vehicles with the use of mobile measuring apparatus, intended for testing vehicles in real conditions of their operation. The vehicle selected for testing - the diesel multiple unit technically classed as a rail motor coach, belongs to one of the most numerous groups of rail vehicles used in regional transport, used on routes where passengers are transported over short distances. These types of train lines are characterized by frequent stops at stations, which confirms the need to investigate this subject. The selected vehicle was powered by an internal combustion engine in which ecological and economic properties depend on the operating ranges and parameters used. Previous scientific papers on eco-driving include mostly research on road vehicles, passenger cars in particular. The authors have found a lack of literature on issues related to the assessment of how a rail vehicle acceleration values would affect its environmental indicators, which makes the subject investigated to be a fairly novel field of testing. The only eligible papers currently available concerned the impact of the vehicle acceleration method on electricity consumption.
CitationAndrzejewski, M., Nowak, M., Gallas, D., and Świechowicz, R., "Investigation of Driving Style Impact on the Ecological Indicators of a Diesel Multiple Unit (SAE Paper 2020-01-2213)," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2213, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2213.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Johansson , H. , Gustafsson , P. , Henke , M. , Rosengren , M. Impact of EcoDriving on Emissions, Transport and Air Pollution Proceedings from the 12th Symposium Avignon 16-18 June 2003
- Martin , E.W. , Chan , N.D. , Shaheen , S.A. How Public Education on Ecodriving Can Reduce Both Fuel Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2287 1 163 173 January 1, 2012
- Barkenbus , J.N. Eco-Driving: An Overlooked Climate Change Initiative Energy Policy 38 2 762 769 Feb. 2010
- Daszkiewicz , P. and Andrzejewski , M. Preliminary Analyzes in Terms of the Possibility of Reducing Energy Consumption by the SM42 Locomotive Used in Track Works MATEC Web of Conferences 118 00014 2017
- Worldwide Emissions Standards 2012/2013
- Wickman , D.D. , Senecal , P.K. and Reitz , R.D. Diesel Engine Combustion Chamber Geometry Optimization Using Genetic Algorithms and Multi-Dimensional Spray and Combustion Modeling 110 3 JOURNAL OF ENGINES 487 507 2001
- Pielecha , I. , Borowski , P. , Czajka , J. , Wisłocki , K. , and Kaźmierowski , J. Combustion Process Shaping by Use of Different Strategies of Multiple Fuel Injection in a CI Model Engine Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 119 695 703 2015
- Ingham , M. and Warden , R. Cost-Effectiveness of Diesel Fuel Modifications for Particulate Control SAE Technical Paper 870556 1987 https://doi.org/10.4271/870556
- Kaneko , N. , Ando , H. , Ogawa , H. , and Miyamoto , N. Expansion of the Operating Range with In-Cylinder Water Injection in a Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Engine SAE Transactions 111 2309 2315 2002
- http://www.ikolej.pl/en/units/test-track-centre-near-zmigrod/ 10.06.2020
- Merkisz , J. , Lijewski , P. , and Pielecha , J. PEMS-based Investigations into Exhaust Emissions from Non-Road and Rail Vehicles Combustion Engines R. 55 nr 3 46 53 2016
- www.inforail.pl 26.03.2020
- Jacyna , M. , Lewczuk , K. , Szczepański , E. , Gołębiowski , P. et al. Effectiveness of National Transport System According to Costs of Emission of Pollutants Safety and Reliability: Methodology and Applications 595 604 2014