This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Methodology for Real-time and Quantitative Measurement of Oil Emissions on I.C. Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
New environmental regulations and stringent emissions standards have lowered the limits for Particulate Matter (PM) mass and Particle Number (PN) emissions requiring further optimization of gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines. Partially burned and unburned lubricating oil contributes significantly to black carbon and soot particle emissions which are not neglectable compared to fuel generated particles. Oil emissions are influenced by engine speed and load conditions but also by engine oil properties and formulation. Minimizing oil consumption has become a fundamental concern and there is a real need for better understanding associated sources and mechanisms. Therefore, researchers and engineers need appropriate tools and methodologies to solve these new problems. A reliable oil consumption measurement methodology able to quantify oil emissions (all oil emissions forms) and only oil emissions is a prerequisite. Recent developments of a methodology based on the use of radiotracer, the Germanium-69, allow very fast and quantitative results with the possibility to determine the exact origin of engine oil consumption: engine block, ventilation circuit or turbocharger. New technical challenges are, on one side, related to the impact of fuel dilution due to direct injection, modern after-treatment systems and/or bio-fuels. On the other side, fast accelerations from cold start conditions, which correspond to hybrid operating mode, need a fast response methodology to study oil consumption during transient operating phases. The paper presents the latest results obtained on current GDI engines using the Germanium-69 radiotracer to label lubricating oil and precisely meter oil emissions under these new situations.
CitationDelvigne, T. and Courtois, O., "New Methodology for Real-time and Quantitative Measurement of Oil Emissions on I.C. Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2193, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2193.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Obiols , J. , China , P. , Sibue , L. , Delvigne , T. et al. An Innovative On-Line Measurement Method for Studying the Impact of Lubricant Formulations on Poisoning and Clogging of After-treatment Devices SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2178 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2178
- Bernardoff , R. , Hennebert , B. , Delvigne , T. , Courtois , O. et al. A Study of Ash Accumulation in the After-treatment System of a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Equipped with a Gasoline Particulate Filter SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0879 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0879
- Yilmaz , E. , and Tian , T. An Experimental and Theoritical Study of the Contribution of Oil Evaporation to Oil Consumption SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2684 October 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2684
- Froelund , Kent Yilmaz , Ertan Impact of Engine Oil Consumption on Particulates Emissions ICAT 2004 International Conference on Automotive Technology "Future Automotive Technologies on Powertrain and Vehicle" Istanbul/Turkey
- Tabata , K. , Takahashi , M. , Takeda , K. , Tsurumi , K. et al. Studies on Nanoparticles Generated in a GDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2328 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2328
- Delvigne , T. , Deconninck , B. , Obiols , J. , China , P. , and Carlier , P. A New Methodology for On-line Lubricant Consumption Measurement SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2172 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2172
- Delvigne , T. , Courtois , O. , China , P. , and Iovine , R. Oil Consumption Sources in a Modern Gasoline Engine Including Contribution of Blow-by Separator and Turbocharger: An Experimental Study Based on the Use of Radiotracers SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2256 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2256
- Robota , D.A. , Plückers , J. , Delvigne , T. , and Courtois , O. Application of oil emission measurements for holistic estimation of the oil consumption MTZ Sonderheft Motorenmesstechnik -ATZ extra 2015
- Deconninck , B. , Delvigne , T. , Courtois , O. , Dequenne , B. et al. A New Methodology for On-line Oil Dilution Measurement SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2170 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2170