This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of Soot Deposition and Active Regeneration in Wall-flow DPF and Experimental Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Growing concerns about the emissions of internal combustion engines have forced the adoption of aftertreatment devices to reduce the adverse impact of diesel engines on health and environment.
Diesel particulate filters are considered as an effective means to reduce the particle emissions and comply with the regulations. Research activity in this field focuses on filter configuration, materials and aging, on understanding the variation of soot layer properties during time, on defining of the optimal strategy of DPF management for on-board control applications.
A model was implemented in order to simulate the filtration and regeneration processes of a wall-flow particulate filter, taking into account the emission characteristic of the engine, whose architecture and operating conditions deeply affect the size distribution of soot particles. The model is based on a lumped parameter approach able to be used for on-board monitoring and control, in order to provide knowledge of DPF status versus time.
The filtration model is based on the ‘unit collector’ and fluid dynamic approaches to predict trapped mass and filter backpressure evolution during time. The model accounts for the size distribution of soot particles in the engine exhaust and for its impact on the DPF properties during loading process. Regeneration model is based on a O2 non-catalytic oxidation approach of the trapped soot.
The model was applied to simulate the loading/regeneration processes of a wall-flow DPF under real engine operation condition. Experimental tests were carried out and measurements were used to validate the proposed model.
CitationChiavola, O., Chiatti, G., Cavallo, D., Mancaruso, E. et al., "Modeling of Soot Deposition and Active Regeneration in Wall-flow DPF and Experimental Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2180, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2180.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Johnson , T. , and Joshi , A. Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 11 6 1307 1330 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0329
- Liu , G.Z. , and Munnannur , A. Future Diesel Engines. Design and Development of Heavy Duty Diesel Engines, Energy, Environment Singapore Springer 2019 887 914 10.1007/978-981-15-0970-4_24
- Joshi , A. Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 1 2 734 761 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0314
- Hyeonoh , K. , and Kazuhiro , Y. Simulation on soot deposition in in-wall and on-wall catalyzed diesel particulate filters Catalysis Today 332 89 93 2019
- Fiebig , M. , Wiartalla , A. , Holderbaum , B. , and Kiesow , S. Particulate emissions from diesel engines: correlation between engine technology and emissions J Occup Med Toxicol 9 6 2014 10.1186/1745-6673-9-6
- Ummaleti , L.S.S. , Ganipineni , J.R. , and Konuru , S.R. Impact of Piston Geometry on Diesel Engine Performance, Emissions and Combustion International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering 8 2 2277 3878 2019
- Kontses , A. , Dimaratos , A. , Keramidas , C. , Williams , R. et al. Effects of fuel properties on particulate emissions of diesel cars equipped with diesel particulate filters Fuel 255 2019 10.1016/j.fuel.2019.115879
- Chiatti , G. , Chiavola , O. , and Palmieri , F. Impact on Combustion and Emissions of Jet Fuel as Additive in Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Petrol Diesel, Renewable Diesel and Waste Cooking Oil Biodiesel Energies 12 2488 2019
- Kumar , C. , Rana , K.B. , Tripathi , B. , and Nayyar , A. Properties and effects of organic additives on performance and emission characteristics of diesel engine: a comprehensive review Environ Sci Pollut Res. 25 22475 22498 2018 10.1007/s11356-018-2537-6
- Sahoo , R.R. , and Jain , A. Experimental analysis of nanofuel additives with magnetic fuel conditioning for diesel engine performance and emissions Fuel 236 365 372 2019 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.09.027
- Lao , C.T. , Akroyd , J. , and Eaves , N. Modelling of secondary particulate emissions during the regeneration of Diesel Particulate Filters Energy Proc. 142 3560 3565 2017
- Lao , C.T. , Akroyd , J. , Eaves , N. , Smith , A. et al. Modelling particle mass and particle number emissions during the active regeneration of diesel particulate filters Proc. Combust. Inst. 37 4831 4838 2019
- Wang , Y. , and Kamp , C. The Effects of Mid-Channel Ash Plug on DPF Pressure Drop SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0966 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0966
- Yamamoto , K. , and Tajima , Y. Mechanism for pressure drop variation caused by filtration of diesel particulates International Journal of Engine Research 2019 10.1177/1468087419853738
- Koltsakis , G. , Haralampous , O.A. , and Depcik , C. Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filter Modeling Rev. Chem. Eng. 29 1 61 2013
- Meng , Z. , Fang , J. , Pu , Y. , Yan , Y. et al. Experimental Study on the Influence of DPF Micropore Structure and Particle Property on Its Filtration Process J. Combust. 2016
- Uenishi , T. , Tanaka , E. , Fukuma , T. , Kusaka , J. et al. A Quasi Two Dimensional Model of Transport Phenomena in Diesel Particulate Filters - The Effects of Particle Diameter on the Pressure Drop in DPF Regeneration Mode SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2282 2016 https//doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2282
- Uenishi , T. , Tanaka , E. , Shigeno , G. , Fukuma , T. et al. A Quasi Two Dimensional Model of Transport Phenomena in Diesel Particulate Filters - The Effects of Particle and Wall Pore Diameter on the Pressure Drop SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2010 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2010
- Bermúdez , V. , Serrano , J.R. , Piqueras , P. , and Sanchis , E.J. On the Impact of Particulate M atter Distribution on Pressure Drop of Wall-Flow Particulate Filters Appl. Sci. 7 234 2017
- Gong , J. , and Rutland , C.J. PDF-Based Heterogeneous Multiscale Filtration Model Environ. Sci. Technol 49 8 4963 4970 2015
- Gong , J. , Stewart , M.L. , Zelenyuk , A. , Strzelec , A. et al. Importance of filter’s microstructure in dynamic filtration modeling of gasoline particulate filters (GPFs): Inhomogeneous porosity and pore size distribution Chemical Eng. J. 338 15 26 2018
- Yang , S. , Deng , C. , Gao , Y. , and He , Y. Diesel particulate filter design simulation: A review Adv. Mech. Eng. 8 1 14 2016
- Bai , S. , Tang , J. , and Wang , G. Soot loading estimation model and passive regeneration characteristics of DPF system for heavy-duty engine Appl. Ther. Eng. 100 1292 1298 2016
- Chen , P. , and Wang , J. Control-oriented model for integrated diesel engine and aftertreatment systems thermal management Control Engineering Practice 22 81 93 2014 10.1016/j.conengprac.2013.09.009
- D’Aniello , F. , Rossomando , B. , and Arsie , I. Development and Experimental Validation of a Control Oriented Model of a Catalytic DPF SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0985 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0985
- Chiatti , G. , Chiavola , O. , and Sirhan , N. Impact of particulate size during deep loading on DPF management Applied Sciences 9 3075 2019 10.3390/app9153075
- Bisset , E. , and Shadman , F. Thermal Regenerartion of Diesel particulate Monolithic Filters Am. Inst. Chem. Eng. J. 1985
- Konstandopoulos , A.G. , Kostoglou , M. , Skaperdas , E. , Papaioannou , E. et al. Fundamental Studies of Diesel Particulate Filters: Transient Loading, Regeneration and Aging SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1016 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1016
- Konstandopoulos , A.G. , Kostoglou , M. , Vlachos , N. , Vlachos , N. et al. Progress in Diesel Particulate Filter Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0946 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0946
- Chiatti , G. , Chiavola , O. , and Falcucci , G. DPF Soot Loading and Regeneration: a Lumped Parameter Approach SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0441 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0441
- Opris , C.N. , and Johnson , J.H. A 2-D Computational Model Describing the Flow and Filtration Characteristics of a Ceramic Diesel Particulate Trap SAE Technical Paper 980545 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/980545
- Chiatti , G. , Chiavola , O. , and Falcucci , G. Soot Morphology Effects on DPF Performance SAE Technical Paper 2009- 01-1279 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1279
- Kandylas , I.P. , and Koltsakis , G.C. NO 2 -Assisted Regeneration of Diesel Particulate Filters: A Modeling Study Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 41 2115 2123 2002
- Kladopoulou , E.A. , Yang , S.L. , Johnson , J.H. , Parker , G.G. et al. A Study Describing the Performance of Diesel Particulate Filters During Loading and Regeneration - A Lumped Parameter Model for Control Applications SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0842 2003 https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0842
- Ohara , E. , Mizuno , Y. , Miyairi , Y. , Mizutani , T. et al. Filtration Behavior of Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0921 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0921
- Law , M.C. , and Garner , C.P. The effects of soot properties on the regeneration behavior of wall-flow diesel particulate filters Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 218 1513 1524 2004
- Hinterberger , C. , Olesen , M. , and Kaiser , R. 3D Simulation of Soot Loading and Regeneration of Diesel Particulate Filter Systems SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1143 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1143