This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation on GDI Spray under High Injection Pressure up to 100 MPa
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In recent years, the increase of gasoline fuel injection pressure is a way to improve thermal efficiency and lower engine-out emissions in GDI homogenous combustion concept. The challenge of controlling particulate formation as well in mass and number concentrations imposed by emissions regulations can be pursued improving the mixture preparation process and avoiding mixture inhomogeneity with ultra-high injection pressure values up to 100 MPa. The increase of the fuel injection pressure in GDI homogeneous systems meets the demand for increased injector static flow, while simultaneously improves the spray atomization and mixing characteristics with consequent better combustion performance. Few studies quantify the effects of high injection pressure on transient gasoline spray evolution.
The aim of this work was to simulate with OpenFOAM the spray morphology of a commercial gasoline injected in a constant volume vessel by a prototypal GDI injector. Different operating conditions were considered under very high injection pressure up to 100 MPa. The transient spray evolution in a constant volume vessel was analyzed from an experimental and numerical point of view in different ambient conditions. The resulting development of the jet plumes was assessed, along with the physical effects of injection pressure.
A RANS Eulerian-Lagrangian approach was adopted to couple the gas phase with the liquid jet and a complete validation of atomization and secondary breakup models was performed. Furthermore, different values of ambient pressure were investigated to validate the robustness of the proposed numerical set-up in different ambient conditions.
Experimentally, an optical technique characterized by a hybrid Mie-scattering /shadowgraph approach were adopted registering images on a high-speed C-Mos camera. The spatial distribution and the time-resolved evolution of the free sprays were derived under different ambient conditions along with their characteristics.
Numerical simulations allowed a good reproduction of the fuel penetration and spread in the constant vessel under very high fuel injection pressure, depicting the strong sensitivity of the spray profiles against the ambient conditions and confirming fundamental information on the physics of fuel provided by the experiments.
Under flash-boiling settings, the very high injection pressures induced a loss of the classic mushroom morphology, related to the spray-collapse, because the increased droplet velocities, along the axial direction, become a dominant effect.
CitationMigliaccio, M., Montanaro, A., Lucchini, T., Allocca, L. et al., "Numerical Investigation on GDI Spray under High Injection Pressure up to 100 MPa," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2108, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2108.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Lucchini, T., D'Errico, G., Onorati, A., Bonandrini, G. et al. , “Development and application of a computational fluid dynamics methodology to predict fuel-air mixing and sources of soot formation in gasoline direct injection engines,” International Journal of Engine Research 15(5):581-596, August 2014, https://doi.org/10.1177/1468087413500297.
- Bonandrini, G., Di Gioia, R., Papaleo, D., and Venturoli, L. , “Numerical Study on Multiple Injection Strategies in DISI Engines for Particulate Emission Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0400, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0400.
- Kaminaga, T., Yamaguchi, K., Ratnak, S., Kusaka, J. et al. , “A Study on Combustion Characteristics of a High Compression Ratio SI Engine with High Pressure Gasoline Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0106, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0106.
- Yamaguchi, A., Koopmans, L., Helmantel, A., Karrholm, F. et al. , “Spray Characterization of Gasoline Direct Injection Sprays under Fuel Injection Pressures up to 150 MPa with Different Nozzle Geometries,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0063, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0063.
- Medina, M., Fatouraie, M., and Wooldridge, M. , “High-Speed Imaging Studies of Gasoline Fuel Sprays at Fuel Injection Pressures from 300 to 1500 bar,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0294, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0294.
- Migliaccio, M., Montanaro, A., Paredi, D., Lucchini, T. et al. , “CFD Modeling and Validation of the ECN Spray G Experiment under a Wide Range of Operating Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0130, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0130.
- Paredi, D., Lucchini, T., D’Errico, G., Onorati, A. et al. , “Combined experimental and numerical investigation of the ECN Spray G under different engine-like conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0281, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0281.
- Adachi, M., McDonell, V., Tanaka, D., Senda, J. et al. , “Characterization of Fuel Vapor Concentration Inside a Flash Boiling Spray,” SAE Technical Paper 970871, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970871.
- Montanaro, A., Allocca, L., and Meccariello, G. , “Effects of Ultra-High Injection Pressures up to 100 MPa on Gasoline Spray Morphology,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0320, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0320.
- Montanaro, A., Allocca, L., and Lazzaro, M. , “Iso-Octane Spray from a GDI Multi-Hole Injector under Non- and Flash Boiling Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2319, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2319.
- Hung, D., Harrington, D., Gandhi, A., Markle, L. et al. , “Gasoline Fuel Injector Spray Measurement and Characterization - A New SAE J2715 Recommended Practice,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):534-548, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1068.
- Allocca, L., Montanaro, A., and Meccariello, G. , “Effects of the Ambient Conditions on the Spray Structure and Evaporation of the ECN Spray G,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0283, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0283.
- OpenFOAM® web site , “The Open-source CFD toolbox”. http://www.openfoam.org. OpenCFD Limited, 2007.
- Subramaniam, S. , Lagrangian-Eulerian methods for multiphase flows (Mechanical Engineering Publications, 2013), 406, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2012.10.003.
- Su, T., Su, F., Farrell, P.V., and Nagarajan, R.T. , “Nozzle Effect on High Pressure Diesel Injection,” Section 3: Journal of Engines 104:177-188, 1995.
- Reitz, R., and Diwakar, R. , “Structure of High-Pressure Fuel Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 870598, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870598.
- Reitz, R.D. , “Modeling Atomization Processes in High Pressure Vaporizing Sprays,” Atomization and Spray Technology 3:309-337, 1987.
- Postrioti, L., Cavicchi, A., Brizi, G., Berni, F. et al. , “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of Spray Evolution, Hydraulics and Atomization for a 60 MPa Injection Pressure GDI System,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0271, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0271.
- Hoffmann, G., Befrui, B., Berndorfer, A., Piock, W. et al. , “Fuel System Pressure Increase for Enhanced Performance of GDi Multi-Hole Injection Systems,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(1):519-527, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1209.
- Piock, W., Befrui, B., Berndorfer, A., and Hoffmann, G. , “Fuel Pressure and Charge Motion Effects on GDi Engine Particulate Emissions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(2):464-473, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0746.
- Krishna Addepalli, S., Mallikarjuna, J.M. “Parametric analysis of a 4-stroke GDI engine using CFD, 2018, Alexandria Engineering Journal, 57 (1), 2018, pp. 23-34, ISSN 1110-0168, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2016.10.007.
- Chan, Q.N., Bao, Y.M., and Kook, S. , “Effects of injection pressure on the structural transformation of flash-boiling sprays of gasoline and ethanol in a spark-ignition direct-injection (SIDI) engine,” Fuel 130:228-240, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2014.04.015.
- Montanaro, A., and Allocca, L. , “Flash Boiling Evidences of a Multi-Hole GDI Spray under Engine Conditions by Mie-Scattering Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1945, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1945.
- Huang, Y., Huang, S., Huang, R., and Hong, G. , “Spray and Evaporation Characteristics of Ethanol and Gasoline Direct Injection in Non-evaporating, Transitional flash boiling and Flash-boiling Conditions,” Energy Conversion and Management 108:68-77, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.10.081.
- Guo, H., Ma, X., Li, Y., Liang, S. et al. , “Effect of Flash Boiling on Microscopic and Macroscopic Spray Characteristics in Optical GDI Engine,” Fuel 190:79-89, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.11.043.
- Befrui, B., Berndorfer, A., Breuer, S., Hoffmann, G., Piock, W. , “Effect of Fuel Pressure on GDi Multi-Hole Injector Particulate Emissions and Tip Coking Robustness”, in Conference: Haus de Technik 12 International Congress Engine Combustion", Ludwigsburg, Germany.
- Rachakonda, S.K., Wang, Y., Grover, R.O. Jr., Moulai, M. et al. , “A computational approach to predict external spray characteristics for flashing and cavitating nozzles,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 106:21-33, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2018.04.012.