This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on Ignitability of Lean CNG/Air Mixture in the Multi-Stage Cascade Engine Combustion System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Lean air-gas mixture combustion systems seem to be very promising solutions for IC engines in terms of lower emission indexes and higher thermal efficiency, especially in part-load operation. The main problem however is the necessity to provide the bigger activation energy for ignition of lean and very lean mixtures. In several publications and in research performed by the authors of this paper it has been confirmed, that the implementation of turbulent jet ignition (TJI) results in significantly faster inflammation of lean CNG/air mixture due to the improvement in on-ignition mechanism. The TJI-system consists of two chambers connected with nozzles. The orifices generate complex charge movement and decrease significantly the charge homogeneity in the pre-chamber, interrupting therefore first ignition process. The main research question of the investigations reported here was to improve this unfavorable property and to validate better inflammation ability in the pre-chamber by applying additional small auxiliary combustion chamber integrated with spark plug, creating together the 3-stage combustion system. Four types of combustion systems (conventional, PC spark plug, 2-stage and 3-stage) have been investigated for the comparative validation of main combustion efficiency indexes. The investigations have been performed at λ=1.5 using Rapid Compression Machine (Ɛ=15) with both indicating measurements and optical analysis for parameterization of inflammation intensity and flame front development. In the first step the study on the spark plug with additional combustion chamber has been performed, which has been than installed on the top part of the pre-combustion chamber of turbulent jet igniter. It resulted in bigger flame luminescence confirmed by bigger heat release rate, finally combined with earlier completing of combustion. Introduction of third stage resulted in shorter combustion duration of defined fuel quantity. The results achieved in the model engine have been verified in the one-cylinder research engine under real operation and complemented with the measurement of exhaust gas toxic compounds emission. Achieved results according charge maximal temperature, flame front development and combustion duration have been presented comparatively for all four investigated combustion systems.
CitationBueschke, W., Szwajca, F., and Wislocki, K., "Experimental Study on Ignitability of Lean CNG/Air Mixture in the Multi-Stage Cascade Engine Combustion System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2084, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2084.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- https://www.iea-coal.org/fuel-staging-burner-out-of-service-boos-fuel-biasing-reburning-or-three-stage-combustion/ 2018
- Almansour , B. , Vasu , S. , and Gupta , S. Reduction of Cyclic Variations by Using Advanced Ignition Systems in a Lean-Burn Stationary Natural Gas Engine Operating at 10 Bar BMEP and 1800 rpm SAE Int. J. Engines 12 1 57 68 2019
- Attard , W.P. , Toulson , E. , Huisjen , A. , Chen , X. et al. Spark Ignition and Pre-Chamber Turbulent Jet Ignition Combustion Visualization SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0823 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0823
- Benajes J. , et al 2019
- Biswas , S. , Tanvir , S. , Wang , H. , and Qiao , L. On Ignition Mechanisms of Premixed CH4/Air and H2/Air Using a Hot Turbulent Jet Generated by Pre-Chamber Combustion Applied Thermal Engineering 106 925 937 2016
- Bueschke W. 2017
- Bueschke W. , Skowron M. , Wisłocki K. , Szwajca F.
- Castilla Alvarez , C.E. , Roso , V.R. , Souza Alvarega Santos , N.D. , Teixieira Fernandes , A. , and Molina Valle , R. Combustion Analysis in a SI Engine with Homogenous and Stratified Pre-Chamber System SAE Technical Paper 2018-36-0112 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-36-0112
- Cupiał K. , Jamrozik A. , Spyra A.
- Desantes , J.M. , Novella , R. , and De La Morena , J. Pagano lng V., Achieving Ultra-Lean Combustion Using Pre-Chamber Spark Ignition System in a Rapid Compression-Expansion Machine SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0236 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0236
- Gholamisheeri , M. , Thelen , B.C. , Gentz , G.R. , Wichman , I.S. , and Toulson , E. Rapid Compression Machine Study of a Premixed, Variable Inlet Density and Flow Rate, Confined Turbulent Jet Combustion and Flame 169 321 332 2016
- Ghorbani , A. , Steinhilber , G. , Markus , D. , and Maas , U. Ignition by Transient Hot Turbulent Jets: An Investigation of Ignition Mechanisms by Means of a PDF/REDIM Method Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 35 2 2191 2198 2015
- Hängi S. , Th Hilfiker Soltic P. , Hutter R. , Ch Onder
- Chae , J.O. , and Chun , Y.N. Effect of Two-Stage Combustion on NOx Emissions in Pulverized Coal Combustion Fuel 70 6 703 707 June 1991 https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-2361(91)90065-I
- Kotzagianni M. , Kyrtatos P. , Boulouchos K.
- Matsuoka , S. , Kawakita , T. , Oguri , A. , and Tasaka , H. A New Concept Three Valve, Prechamber, Spark-Ignited Engine is Functioned by Three Stage Combustion Mechanism SAE Technical Paper 785104 1978 https://doi.org/10.4271/785104
- Oppenheim , A.K. Combustion in Piston Engines Berlin Springer-Verlag 2004
- Pielecha I. , Bueschke W. , Skowron M. , Fiedkiewicz Ł. Szwajca F. , Cieślik W. , Wisłocki K.
- Roso , V.R. , Castilla Alvarez , C.E. , Coelho Beata , J.G. , Molina Valle , R. , and Souza Alvarega Santos , N.D. Combustion Influence of a Pre-Chamber Ignition System in a Commercial SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2018-36-0115 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-36-0115
- Sadanandan , R. , Markus , D. , Schießl , R. , Maas , U. et al. Detailed Investigation of Ignition by Hot Gas Jets Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 719 726 2007
- Semenov , N.N. Some Problems of Chemical Kinetics and Reactivity Elsevier Ltd 1959
- Soltic P. , Th Hilfiker Hutter R. , Hängi S.
- Sun , S. , Ma , Y. , Cui , L. , Ma , X. , and Shuai , S.-J. Effect of Single and Double-Deck Pre-Chamber Designs to the Combustion Characteristics of Premixed CH4/Air SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1688 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1688
- Syrovatka , Z. , Vitek , O. , Vavra , J. , and Takats , M. Scavenged Pre-Chamber Volume Effect on Gas Engine Performance and Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0258 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0258
- Weißner M. , Beger F. , Schüttenhelm M. , Tallu G.
- Wolański , P. , Benkiewicz , K. , Błogowski , M. , Leżański , T. , and Sornek , R. Experimental and Numerical Modeling of the PJC Generator Archivum Combustionis 14 1 21994
- Wolański , P. 1999
- Wolanski , P. Application of Pulsed Jet Combustion to Internal Combustion Engines Bowen J.R. Dynamics of Exotermicity Gordon and Breach Publications 1996 131 150