This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Intra-Cycle Detection of Pre-Ignition Events through Phase-Space Transforms of Cylinder Pressure Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The widespread adoption of boosted, downsized SI engines has brought pre-ignition phenomena into greater focus, as the knock events resulting from pre-ignitions can cause significant hardware damage. Much attention has been given to understanding the causes of pre-ignition and identify lubricant or fuel properties and engine design and calibration considerations that impact its frequency. This helps to shift the pre-ignition limit to higher specific loads and allow further downsizing but does not fundamentally eliminate the problem. Real-time detection and mitigation of pre-ignition would thus be desirable to allow safe engine operation in pre-ignition-prone conditions. This study focuses on advancing the time of detection of pre-ignition in an engine cycle where it occurs. Phase space transforms through time-delay embedding of cylinder pressure and principal component analysis were applied to same-cycle detection of pre-ignition and shown to enable detection on the order of a crank degree earlier than deviation in cylinder pressure can be identified through direct statistical observation of the pressure data. Additionally, it appears that the deviation of the trajectory in phase space may offer the opportunity to extend this method to further extend the detection window and allow more time for mitigation actions to occur.
CitationKaul, B., Finney, C., Stiffler, R., and Drallmeier, J., "Advanced Intra-Cycle Detection of Pre-Ignition Events through Phase-Space Transforms of Cylinder Pressure Data," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2046, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2046.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Zahdeh, A., Rothenberger, P., Nguyen, W., Anbarasu, M. et al. , “Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines,” SAE International Journal of Engines. 4(1):246-273, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0340.
- Splitter, D., Kaul, B., Szybist, J., and Jatana, G. , “Engine Operating Conditions and Fuel Properties on Pre-Spark Heat Release and SPI Promotion in SI Engines,” SAE International Journal of Engines. 10:1036-1050, 2017. https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0688.
- Zaccardi, J.M., and Escudié, D. , “Overview of the Main Mechanisms Triggering Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Spark-Ignition Engines,” International Journal of Engine Research. 16(2):152-165, 2015 Feb, doi:10.1177/1468087414530965.
- Chapman, E., Davis, R., Studzinski, W., and Geng, P. , “Fuel Octane and Volatility Effects on the Stochastic Pre-Ignition Behavior of a 2.0L Gasoline Turbocharged DI Engine,” SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants. 7(2), 2014. https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1226.
- Costanzo, V.S., Yu, X., Chapman, E., Davis, R., and Haenel, P. , “Fuel & Lubricant Effects on Stochastic Preignition,” SAE INternational Journal of Adances and Current Practices in Mobility. 1(1):259-277, 2019. https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0038.
- Jatana, G.S., Splitter, D.A., Kaul, B.C., and Szybist, J.P. , “Fuel Property Effects on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition,” Fuel. 230:474-482, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2018.05.060.
- Yu, X., Costanzo, V., Chapman, E., and Davis, R. , “A Robust Preignition Rating Methodology: Evaluating the Propensity to Establish Propagating Flames Under Real Engine Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2241., 2017. https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2241.
- Chapman, E.M., and Costanzo, V.S. , “A Literature Review of Abnormal Ignition by Fuel and Lubricant Derivatives,” SAE International Journal of Engines. 9(1):107-142, 2016. https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1869.
- Ritchie, A., Boese, D., and Young, A.W. , “Controlling Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Modern Automotive Equipment Part 3: Identification of Key Additive Component Types and Other Lubricant Composition Effects on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition,” SAE International Journal of Engines. 9(2), 2016. https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0717.
- Fletcher, K.A., Dingwell, L., Yang, K., Lam, W.Y., and Styer, J.P. , “Engine Oil Additive Impacts on Low Speed Pre-Ignition,” SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants. 9(3), 2016. https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2277.
- Kocsis, M.C., Briggs, T., and Anderson, G. , “The Impact of Lubricant Volatility, Viscosity, and Detergent Chemistry on Low Speed Pre-Ignition Behavior,” SAE International Journal of Engines. 10(3):1017-1035, 2017. https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0685.
- Swarts, A., Kostan, T., and Kalaskar, V. , “Combined Effects of Engine and Oil Age on Low Speed Pre-Ignition,” SAE International Journal of Advances and Current Practices in Mobility. 1(1):227-235, 2019. https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0033.
- Khosravi, M., Ruhland, H., Lorenz, T., and Weber, C. , “Investigation into Occurrence of Megaknock and Auto-Ignition in GTDI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0690., 2017. https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0690.
- Mubarak Ali, M.J., Luong, M.B., Sow, A., Hernandez Perez, F., and Im, H. , “Probabilistic Approach to Predict Abnormal Combustion in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1722., 2018. https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1722.
- Boese, D., Ritchie, A., and Young, A.W. , “Controlling Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Modern Automotive Equipment: Defining Approaches to and Methods for Analyzing Data in New Studies of Lubricant and Fuel-Related Effects (Part 2),” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0716., 2016. https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0716.
- Zaccardi, J.M., Duval, L., and Pagot, A. , “Development of Specific Tools for Analysis and Quantification of Pre-Ignition in a Boosted SI Engine,” SAE International Journal of Engines. 2:1587-1600, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1795.
- Packard, N.H., Crutchfield, J.P., Farmer, D., and Shaw, R.S. , “Geometry from a Time Series,” Physical Review Letters. 45(9):712-716, 1980, doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.45.712.
- Takens, F. , “Detecting Strange Attractors in Turbulence,” Lecture Notes in Mathematics. 898:366-381, 1981, doi:10.1007/BFb0091924.
- Broomhead, D.S., and King, G.P. , “Extracting Qualitative Dynamics from Experimental Data,” Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena. 20(2-3):217-236, 1986, doi:10.1016/0167-2789(86)90031-X.
- Abarbanel, H.D., Carroll, T., Pecora, L., Sidorowich, J., and Tsimring, L. , “Predicting Physical Variables in Time-Delay Embedding,” Physical Review E. 49(3):1840-1853, 1994, doi:10.1103/physrev3.49.1840.
- Finney, C.E.A. "Identification and Characterization of Determinism in Spark-Ignition Internal Combustion Engines," Master's thesis. , University of Tennessee - Knoxville; 1995.
- Jolliffe, I.T. , Principal Component Analysis. 2nd ed. (New York, NY: Springer, 2002).
- Jolliffe, I.T., and Cadima, J. , “Principal Component Analysis: A Review and Recent Developments,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 374(20150202), 2016, doi:10.1098/rsta.2015.0202.
- Fraser, A.M., and Swinney, H.L. , “Independent Coordinates for Strange Attractors from Mutual Information,” Physical Review A. 33(2), 1986, doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.33.1134.
- Henein, N.A., Bryzik, W., Abdel-Rehim, A., and Gupta, A. , “Characteristics of Ion Current Signals in Compression Ignition and Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE International Journal of Engines. 3(1):260-281, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0567.
- Tong, S., Li, H., Yang, Z., Deng, J. et al. , “Cycle Resolved Combustion and Pre-Ignition Diagnostic Employing Ion Current in a PFI Boosted SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0881., 2015. https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0881.
- Cavina, N., Rojo, N., Poggio, L., Calogero, L., and Cevolani, R. , “Investigation on Pre-Ignition Combustion Events and Development of Diagnostic Solutions Based on Ion Current Signals,” SAE International Journal of Engines. 10(4):1518-1523, 2017. https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0784.
- Massey, J.A. . "Indication of Cylinder Pressure Rise Rate by Means of Vibration and Acoustic Emissions of an Internal Combustion Engine," mathesis. Rolla:, Missouri University of Science and Technology; 2008.
- Kaul, B.C., Lawler, B., and Zahdeh, A. , “Engine Diagnostics Using Acoustic Emissions Sensors,” SAE International Journal of Engines. 9(2):684-692, 2016. https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0639.
- Davis, L.I.J., Feldkamp, L.A., Hoard, J.W., Yuan, F. et al. , “Controlling Cyclic Combustion Variations in Lean-Fueled Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0257 , 2001. https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0257.