This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Infrared Diagnostics of a Li-Polymer Battery for the Estimation of the Surface Temperature Distribution and the Heat Transfer Parameters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A growing number of electric vehicles (EV) and hybrid electric vehicles (HEV) in the present market depicts the rapid growing demand for energy storage systems. The battery’s main peculiarities must be the power density and reliability over time. The temperature strongly affects battery performance for low and high intensity. In particular, the management of the heat generated by the battery itself is one of the main aspects to handle to preserve the performance over time. The objective of this paper is to compare the surface temperature of the lithium-ion polymer battery at different discharging rates by infrared thermography. Thermal imaging is performed to detect the battery surface temperature distribution, focusing on its variation over time and the local inhomogeneity. Temperature measurements are then used to estimate the contributions of the different heat transfer mechanisms for the dissipation of the heat generated by the battery. A reverse-logic approach is used to derive the thermal parameters of the battery from the experimental data and power balance equations.
CitationSequino, L. and Vaglieco, B., "Infrared Diagnostics of a Li-Polymer Battery for the Estimation of the Surface Temperature Distribution and the Heat Transfer Parameters," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2026, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2026.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Li, L., and Liu, Q. , “Acceleration Curve Optimization for Electric Vehicle Based on Energy Consumption and Battery Life,” Energy 169:1039-1053, 2019.
- Liimatainen, H., van Vliet, O., and Aplyn, D. , “The potential of Electric Trucks-an International Commodity-Level Analysis,” Applied energy, vol. 236, pp. 804-814, 2019.
- Williams, S., and Short, M. , “Electricity Demand Forecasting for Decentralised Energy Management,” Energy and Built Environment 1(2):178-186, 2020.
- Dorahaki, S., Dashti, R., and Shaker, H.R. , “Optimal Energy Management in the Smart Microgrid Considering the Electrical Energy Storage System and the Demand-Side Energy Efficiency Program,” Journal of Energy Storage 28:101229, 2020.
- Li, Q., Sun, S., Smith, A.D., Lundgren, P. et al. , “Compact and Low Loss Electrochemical Capacitors Using a Graphite/Carbon Nanotube Hybrid Material for Miniaturized Systems,” Journal of Power Sources 412:374-383, 2019.
- Lee, S., Choi, H., and Eom, K. , “Enhancing the Electrochemical Performances of a Tellurium-Based Cathode for a High-Volumetric Capacity Li Battery via a High-Energy Ball Mill with Sulfur Edge-Functionalized Carbon,” Journal of Power Sources 430:112-119, 2019.
- Xia, Q., Wang, Z., Ren, Y., Tao, L. et al. , “A Modified Reliability Model for Lithium-Ion Battery Packs Based on the Stochastic Capacity Degradation and Dynamic Response Impedance,” Journal of Power Sources 423:40-51, 2019.
- Jeong, M.G., Cho, J.-H., and Lee, B.J. , “Heat Transfer Analysis of a High-Power and Large-Capacity Thermal Battery and Investigation of Effective Thermal Model,” Journal of Power Sources 424:35-41, 2019.
- Jiang, G., Zhuang, L., Hu, Q., Liu, Z., and Huang, J. , “An Investigation of Heat Transfer and Capacity Fade in a Prismatic Li-Ion Battery Based on an Electrochemical-Thermal Coupling Model,” Applied Thermal Engineering 171:115080, 2020.
- Scrosati, B., Garche, J., and Tillmetz, W. , Advances in Battery Technologies for Electric Vehicles (Woodhead Publishing, 2015).
- Kim, J., Oh, J., and Lee, H. , “Review on Battery Thermal Management System for Electric Vehicles,” Applied Thermal Engineering 149:192-212, 2019.
- Wu, W., Wang, S., Wu, W., Chen, K. et al. , “A Critical Review of Battery Thermal Performance and Liquid Based Battery Thermal Management,” Energy conversion and management 182:262-281, 2019.
- Wu, Y., Li, K., Wang, J., Ji, S., and Wang, S. , “Experimental Study and Numerical Modeling on Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Power Battery Thermal Inertia,” Energy Procedia 158:4396-4401, 2019.
- Kim, U.S., Yi, J., Shin, C.B., Han, T., and Park, S. , “Modelling the Thermal Behaviour of a Lithium-Ion Battery During Charge,” Journal of Power Sources 196(11):5115-5121, 2011.
- Nascimento, M., Novais, S., Ding, M.S., Ferreira, M.S. et al. , “Internal Strain and Temperature Discrimination with Optical Fiber Hybrid Sensors in Li-Ion Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 410:1-9, 2019.
- Nascimento, M., Paixão, T., Ferreira, M.S., and Pinto, J.L. , “Thermal Mapping of a Lithium Polymer Batteries Pack with FBGS Network,” Batteries 4(4):67, 2018.
- Sommer, L.W., Kiesel, P., Ganguli, A., Lochbaum, A. et al. , “Fast and Slow Ion Diffusion Processes in Lithium Ion Pouch Cells During Cycling Observed with Fiber Optic Strain Sensors,” Journal of Power Sources 296:46-52, 2015.
- Wang, P., Zhang, X., Yang, L., Zhang, X. et al. , “Real-Time Monitoring of Internal Temperature Evolution of the Lithium-Ion Coin Cell Battery During the Charge and Discharge Process,” Extreme Mechanics Letters 9:459-466, 2016.
- Wang, Z.-j., Li, Z.-q., and Liu, Q. , “Infrared Thermography Non-Destructive Evaluation of Lithium-Ion Battery,” . In: International Symposium on Photoelectronic Detection and Imaging 2011: Advances in Infrared Imaging and Applications. Vol. 8193, (International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2011), 81934I.
- Kim, H.-J., Lee, J.-H., Baek, D.-H., and Lee, J.-K. , “A Study on Thermal Performance of Batteries using Thermal Imaging and Infrared Radiation,” Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 45:360-365, 2017.
- Li, K., Wu, Y., Wang, J., and Wang, S. , “Experimental Study on Thermal Characteristics and Temperature Distribution of Laminated Lithium-Ion Power Battery,” Energy Procedia 142:3338-3343, 2017.
- Wang, S., Li, K., Tian, Y., Wang, J. et al. , “Infrared Imaging Investigation of Temperature Fluctuation and Spatial Distribution for a Large Laminated Lithium-Ion Power Battery,” Applied Thermal Engineering 152:204-214, 2019.
- Wang, S., Li, K., Tian, Y., Wang, J. et al. , “An Experimental and Numerical Examination on the Thermal Inertia of a Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Power Battery,” Applied Thermal Engineering 154:676-685, 2019.
- Wang, S., Li, K., Tian, Y., Wang, J. et al. , “Improved Thermal Performance of a Large Laminated Lithium-Ion Power Battery by Reciprocating Air Flow,” Applied Thermal Engineering 152:445-454, 2019.
- Zhang, J., Wu, B., Li, Z., and Huang, J. , “Simultaneous Estimation of Thermal Parameters for Large-Format Laminated Lithium-Ion Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 259:106-116, 2014.
- FAST-IR-2K_TELOPS Camera Test Report.
- An, Z., Jia, L., Wei, L., Dang, C., and Peng, Q. , “Investigation on Lithium-Ion Battery Electrochemical and Thermal Characteristic Based on Electrochemical-Thermal Coupled Model,” Applied Thermal Engineering 137:792-807, 2018.
- Chen, D., Jiang, J., Kim, G.-H., Yang, C., and Pesaran, A. , “Comparison of Different Cooling Methods for Lithium Ion Battery Cells,” Applied Thermal Engineering 94:846-854, 2016.
- Karimi, G., and Li, X. , “Thermal Management of Lithium-Ion Batteries for Electric Vehicles,” International Journal of Energy Research 37(1):13-24, 2013.
- Bergman, T.L., Incropera, F.P., Lavine, A.S., and Dewitt, D.P. , Introduction to Heat Transfer (John Wiley & Sons, 2011).
- Zhang, X., Klein, R., Subbaraman, A., Chumakov, S. et al. , “Evaluation of Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient and Specific Heat Capacity of a Lithium-Ion Battery using Infrared Camera and Lumped Capacitance Method,” Journal of Power Sources 412:552-558, 2019.
- Catherino, H.A. , “Delayed Thermal Response in Batteries,” . In: Battery Congress 2016, Proceedings Volume 83, (2016), 53-64.
- Goutam, S., Timmermans, J.-M., Omar, N., Bossche, P.V.d., and Van Mierlo, J. , “Comparative Study of Surface Temperature Behavior of Commercial Li-Ion Pouch Cells of Different Chemistries and Capacities by Infrared Thermography,” Energies 8(8):8175-8192, 2015.
- Samba, A., Omar, N., Gualous, H., Capron, O. et al. , “Impact of Tab Location on Large Format Lithium-Ion Pouch Cell Based on Fully Coupled Tree-Dimensional Electrochemical-Thermal Modeling,” Electrochimica Acta 147:319-329, 2014.