This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transformational Technologies Reshaping Transportation - An Industry Perspective
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Freight trucking has always embraced continuous improvement although the general public may be largely unaware of the tremendous changes that have occurred to date in vehicle safety, efficiencies, emissions mitigation and asset utilization. Today’s freight industry is in the early stages of dramatic technological advances in areas such as connectivity, automation and electrification. Fleet and manufacturer perspective on these transformational technologies are universally supportive, driven both by economic and regulatory factors. The early stages of these technological revolutions are characterized by a multitude of competing concepts confusing choices, complicated by a significant number of competing vested interests obscuring objectivity, and clouded by billions of dollars of venture capital. The objective of this report is to provide unbiased insight into the freight industry’s thoughts on these transformational technologies.
CitationRoeth, M., "Transformational Technologies Reshaping Transportation - An Industry Perspective," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1945, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1945.
- All websites were last accessed Mar-May, 2020.
- Steudle, K., and Annelin, N. , “Buckendale Lecture Series: Transformational Technologies Reshaping Transportation—A Government Perspective,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-2011, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-2011.
- Rizzoni, G., Ahmed, Q., Arasu, M., and Oruganti, P. , “Transformational Technologies Reshaping Transportation - An Academia Perspective,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2620, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2620.
- Mihelic, R. , “Fuel and Freight Efficiency - Past, Present and Future Perspectives,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 9(2):120-216, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8020.
- Mihelic, R. , “Project Management,” Presentation on Small Team Management to University of North Texas senior Project Course, Sep 25, 2008, copy available on request.
- Mihelic, R., Schaller, D., Roeth, M. , “Confidence Report: Trailer Aerodynamic Solutions,” NACFE, initial release Feb. 2016, revised 2020, https://nacfe.org/technology-guide/trailer-aerodynamics/.
- Mihelic, R., Schaller, D., Roeth, M. , “Confidence Report: Tractor Aerodynamic Solutions,” NACFE, initial release Apr. 2016, revised 2020, https://nacfe.org/technology-guide/tractor-aerodynamics/.
- Mihelic, R., Otto, K., Schaller, D., and Roeth, M. , “Defining Production,” NACFE, Jan. 2020, https://nacfe.org/defining-production/.
- Baus, M., Cook, A., and Schaller, D. , “Integrating New Emissions Engines into Commercial Vehicles: Emissions, Performance & Affordability,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3545, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3545.
- Mihelic, R., Otto, K., Lund, J. , and sRoeth, M., “Guidance Report: Viable Class 7/8 Electric, Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Tractors,” NACFE, Dec. 2019, https://nacfe.org/future-technology/viable-class-7-8/.
- Roeth, M., Park, Y., Rondini, D., and Schaller, D. , “2019 Annual Fleet Fuel Study,” NACFE, Dec. 2019, https://nacfe.org/annual-fleet-fuel-studies/.
- Mihelic, R., Roeth, M., Ballschmidt, B., and Lund, J. , “Guidance Report: Medium Duty Electric Trucks Cost of Ownership,” NACFE, Oct. 2018, https://nacfe.org/future-technology/medium-duty-electric-trucks-cost-of-ownership/.
- National Research Council , Reducing the Fuel Consumption and Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Medium-and Heavy-Duty Vehicles, Phase Two: First Report (Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2014). https://doi.org/10.17226/18736.
- Sharpe, B. , “U.S. Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Emission Regulations for Model Year 2018-2027 Heavy-Duty Vehicles, Engines, and Trailers,” the International Council on Clean Transportation, ICCT, Aug 2016, https://theicct.org/publications/us-efficiency-and-greenhouse-gas-emission-regulations-model-year-2018-2027-heavy-duty.
- U.S. EPA and U.S. DOT , “Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium-and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles,” Federal Register Final Rules, U.S. EPA and U.S. DOT, Sep 15, 2011, https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2011-09-15/pdf/2011-20740.pdf.
- U.S. EPA and U.S. DOT , “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium-and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles— Phase 2“, Federal Register Final Rules, U.S. EPA and U.S. DOT, 25, Oct 2016, https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2016-10-25/pdf/2016-21203.pdf.
- California Air Resources Board (CARB) , “Adoption of a Regulation to Reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions from Heavy - Duty Vehicles,” 2008, http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2008/ghghdv08/uid.pdf.
- Meszler, D., Delgado, O., Rodriquez, F., Muncrief, R. , “European Heavy-Duty Vehicles: Cost-Effectiveness of Fuel-Efficiency Technologies for Long-Haul Tractor-Trailers in the 2025-2030 Timeframe,” ICCT, Jan 2018, https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_EU-HDV-tech-2025-30_20180424_updated.pdf.
- Rodriguez, F. and Posada, F. , “Future Heavy-Duty Emission Standards,” ICCT, Nov 2019, https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/Future%20_HDV_st andards_opportunity_20191125.pdf.
- Personal Communication between Mike Roeth, NACFE, and Steve Tam, ACT Research, Jan 17, 2020.
- Personal communication between Mike Roeth, NACFE, and Steve Tam, ACT Research, March 25, 2020.
- Mihelic, R., Schaller, D., and Roeth, M. , “Confidence Report: Tractor Aerodynamics,” NACFE, May 2016, https://nacfe.org/technology-guide/tractor-aerodynamics/.
- Murray, D. and Glidewell, S. , “An Analysis of the Operational Costs of Trucking: 2019 Update,” American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI), Nov 2019, https://truckingresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/ATRI-Operational-Costs-of-Trucking-2019-1.pdf.
- Mihelic, R. and Roeth, M. , “More Regional Haul: An Opportunity for Trucking?” NACFE, Apr 2019, https://nacfe.org/regional-haul/.
- FMCSA , “Electronic Driver Log,” webpage, https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-service/elds/electronic-logging-devices.
- FMCSA , “Electronic Logging Devices and Hours of Service Supporting Documents,” Federal Register, Dec 16, 2015, https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2015-12-16/pdf/2015-31336.pdf.
- Blohm, G. , “How Modern Driver Workflows Impact Driver Retention,” Omnitracs & HDT webinar, Apr 15, 2020, https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1285062.
- EIA , “Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update,” DOE Energy Information Administration (EIA) website, https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/.
- AFDC , “Fuel Prices,” U.S. Department of Energy Alternative Fuels Data Center (AFDC), https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/prices.html.
- LLNL , “Estimated U.S. Energy Consumption in 2019,” U.S. Dept. of Energy Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Energy Flow Charts website, https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/commodities/energy.
- EIA , “Electricity Explained,” U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Information Administration (EIA) website, https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/prices-and-factors-affecting-prices.php.
- FHWA , “Vehicle Weight Classes & Categories,” U.S. Department of Energy, Alternative Fuels Data Center (AFDC), https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10380.
- Mihelic, R. , Photographs 2018-2019.
- UCS , “Ready for Work,” Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), December 2019, https://ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/2019-12/ReadyforWorkFullReport.pdf.
- FHWA , “Verification, Refinement, and Applicability of Long-Term Pavement Performance Vehicle Classification Rules,” U.S. Federal Highway Administration, Publication Number: FHWA-HRT-13-091, Nov 2014, https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/infrastructure/pavem ents/ltpp/13091/002.cfm.
- FHWA , “Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles,” U.S. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), document FHWA-HOP-04-22, Oct 2004, https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publications/size_regs_final_rpt/size_regs_final_rpt.pdf.
- Mihelic, R., Otto, K., Lund, J., Roeth, M. , “Guidance Report: Battery Electric Vehicles - Where They Make Sense,” NACFE, May 2018, https://nacfe.org/future-technology/electric-trucks/.
- EU Science Hub , “Well-to-Wheel Analyses,” https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/jec/activities/wtw.
- Allison website , https://www.allisontransmission.com/company/history-heritage.
- Daimler website , https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko/Mercedes-Benz-and-the-invention-of-the-anti-lock-braking-system-ABS-ready-for-production-in-1978.xhtml?oid=9913502.
- Cummins website , https://www.cummins.com/timeline.
- Varnhagen, D. , “Electronic Horizon: A Map as a Sensor and Predictive Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1945, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1945.
- International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice , “Taxonomy and Definitions for Terms Related to Driving Automation Systems for On-Road Motor Vehicles,” SAE Standard J3018, revised Jun 2018, https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j3016_201806/.
- 110th U.S. Congress, H.R. 4040 , “Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008,” enacted Aug 2008, https://www.congress.gov/bill/110th-congress/house-bill/4040.
- Cerasis website , https://cerasis.com/3pl-vs-4pl/.
- Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals , “Supply Chain Management Terms and Glossary,” Aug 2013, download from https://cscmp.org/CSCMP/Academia/SCM_Definitions_and_Glossar y_of_Terms/CSCMP/Educate/SCM_Definitions_and_Glossary_of_T erms.aspx?hkey=60879588-f65f-4ab5-8c4b-6878815ef921.
- ISO , “Series 1 Freight Containers — Classification, Dimensions and Ratings,” ISO 668:2020, https://www.iso.org/standard/76912.html.
- ISO , “Series 1 Freight Containers — Specification and Testing — Part 1: General Cargo Containers for General Purposes,” ISO 1496-1:2013, https://www.iso.org/standard/59672.html.
- Roberts, J., Mihelic, R., and Roeth, M. , “Confidence Report: Two-Truck Platooning,” 2016, https://nacfe.org/technology/two-truck-platooning/.
- Zhang, L. and Chen, F. , “Fuel Economy in Truck Platooning: A Literature Overview and Directions for Future Research,” Journal of Advanced Transportation 2020, Article ID 2604012, Jan 2020, https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/2604012, and at https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jat/2020/2604012/.
- Roeth, M. , “Peloton Technology Platooning Test Nov 2013,” NACFE, Dec 2013, https://nacfe.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Peloton-NACFE-Fuel-Test-Report-120213.pdf on this page https://nacfe.org/report-library/collaboration-reports/.
- Viscelli, S. , “Driverless? Autonomous Trucks and the future of the American Trucker,” UC Berkeley Center for Labor Research and Education, Sep 2018, http://driverlessreport.org/.
- Mihelic, R. , “Fuel and Freight Efficiency-Past, Present and Future Perspectives,” presentation 61st L. Ray Buckendale Lecture, Sep 2016.
- Park, Y., Roeth, M., and Schaller, D. , “Run on Less Report,” NACFE, Feb 2018, https://nacfe.org/run-on-less-report/.
- U.S. Department of Energy National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) , “Recovery Act-Systems Level Technology Development, Integration, and Demonstration for Efficient Class 8 Trucks (SuperTruck) and Advanced Technology Powertrains for Light-Duty Vehicles (ATP-LD),” Financial Assistance Funding Opportunity Announcement DE_FOA-0000079, DOE RFP on SuperTruck, Oct. 2008, officially issued Jun 9, 2009, https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/closed-funding-opportunities.
- Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) , “DE-FOA-0001447: “Advanced Systems Level Technology Development, Integration and Demonstration for Efficient Class 8 Trucks (SuperTruck II),” EERE Funding Opportunity, https://eere-exchange.energy.gov/#FoaId0aa8732c-3c61-4040-aa2b-cd4fba6797d0.
- “Final Rule for Control of Emissions of Air Pollution From Highway Heavy-Duty Engines,” website, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), 1997, https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emissions-vehicles-and-engines/final-rule-control-emissions-air-pollution-highway-heavy.
- Chan, C. , “The Rise & Fall of Electric Vehicles in 1828-1930: Lessons Learned [Scanning Our Past],” Proceedings of the IEEE 101(1):206-212, Jan. 2013, doi: 10.1109/JPROC.2012.2228370 or https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6384804.
- “Verified Technologies for SmartWay and Clean Diesel,” U.S. Environmental Protection Agency website, https://www.epa.gov/verified-diesel-tech/smartway-technology-trucks-and-school-buses.
- “Frito-Lay Transforms California Production Site into First-of-Its-Kind Showcase for Sustainability,” PepsiCo press release, Oct 3, 2019, https://www.pepsico.com/news/press-release/frito-lay-transforms-california-production-site-into-first-of-its-kind-showcase-10032019.
- Mehta, P. , “PepsiCo Targets 100% Renewable Electricity for U.S. Operations in 2020,” Tech Mag, Jan 17, 2020, http://technologymagazine.org/pepsico-targets-100-renewable-electricity-u-s-operations-2020/.
- PepsiCo , “Annual Report,” 2019, https://www.pepsico.com/docs/album/annual-reports/pepsico-inc-2019-annual-report.pdf?sfvrsn=ea470b5_2.
- PepsiCo , “Sustainable Food System,” Sustainability Report, Sep 2019, https://www.pepsico.com/docs/album/sustainability-report/2018-csr/pepsico_2018_csr.pdf?sfvrsn=b23814c0_6.
- “PepsiCo's Frito-Lay Division Accelerates Investment in Compressed Natural Gas,” Frito Lay Press release, Aug 4, 2016, https://www.fritolay.com/news/pepsico-s-frito-lay-division-accelerates-investment-in-compressed-natural-gas.
- FleetOwner , “Frito-Lay’s CNG Fleet Reaches 100 Million Miles,” Aug 10, 2016, https://www.fleetowner.com/running-green/article/21694172/fritolays-cng-fleet-reaches-100-million-miles.
- “Frito-Lay Starts 'Charge' on Largest Fleet of All-Electric Trucks in North America,” Frito-Lay Press Release, Sep 8, 2010, https://www.fritolay.com/news/frito-lay-starts-charge-on-largest-fleet-of-all-electric-trucks-in-north-america.
- “Top 100 Private Fleets,” Transport Topics, 2019, https://www.ttnews.com/top100/private/2019.
- Springer, N. , “ACT 101: Have You Left Money Lying Around? A Look at California’s Clean Fuel Market,” ACT News, Apr 18, 2019, https://www.act-news.com/news/have-you-left-money-lying-around/.
- “Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs),” U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), website, https://www.epa.gov/greenpower/renewable-energy-certificates-recs.
- “Natural Gas Vehicle (NGV) and Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PEV) Weight Exemption,” U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Alternative Fuels Data Center (AFDC) website, https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/11682.
- Lambert, F. , “Tesla Semi Production is Delayed Until 2021 — Electric Truck Now 2 Years Late,” Electrek, Apr 29, 2020, https://electrek.co/2020/04/29/tesla-semi-production-delay-2021-electric-truck/.
- “Top 100 For Hire Fleets,” Transport Topics, 2019, https://www.ttnews.com/top100/for-hire/2019.
- NFI website , https://www.nfiindustries.com/about-nfi/.
- Bliem, B. , “Driving Innovation & Delivering Results,” American Trucking Association Technology & Maintenance Council (ATA TMC) Spring 2018 conference, Slides available from TMC or author.
- Fenton, D. , “The Unpaved Road to Commercializing Battery Electric Freight Trucks,” Volvo LIGHTS presentation, ACT NEWS webinar, May 19, 2020, https://www.act-news.com/webinar/webinar-the-unpaved-road-to-commercializing-battery-electric-freight-trucks/.
- O’Leary, J. , “The Unpaved Road to Commercializing Battery Electric Freight Trucks,” NFI Presentation, ACT NEWS webinar, May 19, 2020, https://www.act-news.com/webinar/webinar-the-unpaved-road-to-commercializing-battery-electric-freight-trucks/.
- FreightWaves, “Werner Joins California Electric Truck Testing Parade,” Jan 9, 2020, https://www.benzinga.com/government/20/01/15100332/werner-joins-california-electric-truck-testing-parade.
- Lund, J. Mihelic, R., and Roeth, M. , “Guidance Report: Amping Up: Charging Infrastructure for Electric Trucks,” NACFE, Mar. 2019, https://nacfe.org/future-technology/amping-up-charging-infrastructure-for-electric-trucks/.
- UPS website , https://sustainability.ups.com/media/UPS_Rolling_Lab.pdf.
- “UPS to Expand Use of Liquefied Natural Gas,” U.S. Department of Energy Vehicle Technologies Office (VTO), Oct 25, 2013, https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/articles/ups-expand-use-liquefied-natural-gas.
- “UPS Adds More Than 700 Vehicles to Its Natural Gas Fleet,” UPS press release, Jun 19, 2018, https://pressroom.ups.com/pressroom/ContentDetailsViewer.page?ConceptType=PressReleases&id=1529343847549-316.
- “UPS Dramatically Increases Use of Renewable Natural Gas,” UPS press release, Nov 20, 2017, https://pressroom.ups.com/pressroom/ContentDetailsViewer.page?ConceptType=PressReleases&id=1511187112246-353.
- “UPS to Add More than 6,000 Vehicles to Its Natural Gas Fleet,” UPS press release, Oct 9, 2019, https://pressroom.ups.com/pressroom/ContentDetailsViewer.page?ConceptType=PressReleases&id=1570546455953-42.
- “UPS Invests in Arrival, Accelerates Fleet Electrification With Order Of 10,000 Electric Delivery Vehicles,” UPS press release, Jan 19, 2020, https://pressroom.ups.com/pressroom/ContentDetailsViewer.page?Co nceptType=PressReleases&id=1580304360144453.
- “Curve Ahead: The Future of Commercial Fleet Electrification,” UPS/GreenBiz whitepaper, Oct. 2018, https://sustainability.ups.com/media/UPS_GreenBiz_Whitepaper_v2.pdf.
- “Supercharging Electric Vehicle Fleets,” GreenBiz/UPS webcast, Sep 5, 2019, https://www.greenbiz.com/webcast/supercharging-electric-vehicle-fleets.
- Roeth, M. et al , “Run on Less Regional Report,” NACFE, Jun 2020, https://runonless.com/.
- Mihelic, R. , “Envisioning Future Commercial Vehicles,” presentation for Stifel Transportation Equipment Equity Research, Mihelic Vehicle Consulting, Aug. 30, 2017. Available from author, or through Stifel at https://stifel2.bluematrix.com/sellside/EmailDocViewer?encrypt=8fe 7415e-801a-48c0-ade6-3a8e7418dddc&mime=pdf&co=Stifel&id=null&source=mail) http://www.stifel.com/.
- Private communication between Mike Roeth, NACFE, and Keshav Sondhi, Frito Lay/PepsiCo, May 27, 2020.
- “UPS invests in Arrival and orders 10,000 Generation 2 Electric Vehicles,” Arrival press release, Jan 29, Jan 29, 2020, https://arrival.com/news/ups-invests-in-arrival-and-orders-10000-generation-2-electric-vehicles.
- Confidence Reports website , https://nacfe.org/report-library/confidence-reports/.
- Hirsch, J. , “Mitsubishi-Fuso to End US, Canadian Sales,” Transport Topics News (TTNews), May 28, 2020, https://www.ttnews.com/articles/mitsubishi-fuso-end-us-canadian-sales.
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) , Annual Merit Review (AMR) website, https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/annual-merit-review-presentations.