This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Effect of Structural Parameters on the Linear Control Performance of High Speed On-Off Valve Based on Flow Field Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A high speed on-off valve (HSV) under the control of high-frequency pulse width modulation (PWM) can make control as linear as proportional valve do, since its valve opening is adjusted linearly by the duty ratio within a certain effective range. It is essential for HSV to achieve linear control performance precisely. In practice the performance is influenced by not only the control strategy, but also by the structural parameters of the valve, such as the valve core diameter, the conical seat angle, and so on.
In this article, it is indicated that the effects of the structural parameters on the linear control performance of HSV is exerted by flow force, because different structural parameters bring about different valve opening-flow force characteristics. Hence the relation between the valve structural parameters and the flow force is emphasized. First, the mathematical model of HSV is established, including the flow force mathematical formula being derived in detail. Furthermore, the steady flow field of the HSV is simulated via the method of computational fluid dynamics (CFD). In conclusion, the valve core diameter and the conical seat angle are the crucial structural parameters, which impact mostly the gradient of flow force versus the valve opening. Meanwhile, the linearity of the gradient decisively affects the linear control performance of the HSV. The results are verified by experiments, which constitute a meaningful reference to design HSV.
CitationMeng, A., Gao, X., Li, N., and Garris, C., "Study on the Effect of Structural Parameters on the Linear Control Performance of High Speed On-Off Valve Based on Flow Field Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1644, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1644.
- Jeong , H.-S. , and Kim , H.-E. Experimental Based Analysis of the Pressure Control Characteristics of an Oil Hydraulic Three-Way on/off Solenoid Valve Controlled by PWM Signal Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 124 1 196 205 2002
- Schuette , H. , and Waeltermann , P. Hardware-in-the-Loop Testing of Vehicle Dynamics Controllers - A Technical Survey SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1660 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1660
- Mahrenholz , J. , and Lumkes , J. Jr. Analytical Coupled Modeling and Model Validation of Hydraulic On/Off Valves Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 1 2010
- Wang , W.-W. , and Song , J. High Speed On-Off Solenoid Valve with Proportional Control Based on High Frequency PWM Control Journal of Tsinghua University. 51 5 715 201110 719
- Wang , F. , Gu , L.-Y. , and Chen , Y. A Hydraulic Pressure-Boost System Based on High-Speed On-Off Valve IEEE/ASME Transaction on Mechatronics 18 2 733 743 2013
- Meng , A.-H. , and Song , J. Linear Control Performance Improvement of High Speed On-Off Valve Controlled by PWM SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2672 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2672
- Zhao , X. , Li , L. , Song , J. , Li , C.-F. , and Gao , X. Linear Control of Switching Valve in Vehicle Hydraulic Control Unit Based on Sensorless Solenoid Position Estimation IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics 63 7 4073 4085 2016
- Gao , X. , Yang , Y.-Y. , and Zhao , X. Nonlinear Dynamic Modeling of a PWM-Driven Switching Valve in Vehicle Hydraulic Brake System Journal of Automobile Engineering 0954407016675775 1 19 2016
- Zhong , Q. , Zhang , B. , and Yang , H.-Y. Performance Analysis of a High-Speed On/Off Valve Based on an Intelligent Pulse-Width Modulation Control Advances in Mechanical Engineering. 9 11 1 11 2017
- Wu , S. , Zhao , X.-Y. , and Li , C.-F. Multi-Objective Optimization of a Hollow Plunger Type Solenoid for High Speed On/Off Valve IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics 65 4 3115 3123 2018
- Fang , J.-G. , Wang , X.-F. , and Wu , J.-J. Modeling and Control of a High Speed On/Off Valve Actuator International Journal of Automotive Technology 20 6 1221 1236 2019