This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Potentials and Challenges of a Brake Particle Emission Collecting System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Brake particle emissions as a part of non-exhaust emissions are becoming more and more relevant, various international research activities can be stated. Also from the legislation side, first hints are given in regards of possible regulations.
One possible approach for the reduction of brake particle emissions deals with the collection of those particles close to the foundation brake. The presented paper will follow such an approach and give some insights.
In a first step, the technical layout is described for bench and vehicle testing. While for bench testing a PMP-like style of the setup could be chosen, the vehicle test setup is oriented on conventional wheel dust measurements.
Hence, presented results of laboratory testing are dealing with PN and PM measurements. Also the impact on particle size distribution is discussed. It can be stated, that the particle collecting system is able to improve PN and PM emissions. Additionally, ultra-fine particles are almost eliminated.
The discussion of vehicle testing includes so-called colorimeter measurements and considers differences of brightness of the rim. As a result, the positive impact of the collecting system can also be confirmed for road conditions.
The presented work focusses on the potentials of emission reduction, but also the challenges that occur. In the outlook it is mentioned, that especially long-term tests should be carried out in the future.
CitationGramstat, S., Hascoet, M., Rocca-Serra, C., and Adamczak, L., "Potentials and Challenges of a Brake Particle Emission Collecting System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1635, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1635.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/documents/reports/cat09/1907101151_20190709_Non_Exhaust_Emissions_typeset_Final.pdf 2020
- https://wiki.unece.org/download/attachments/92012742/2019-30-10_01-TF%20Activities%20Update.pdf?api=v2 2020
- https://wiki.unece.org/download/attachments/92012742/2019-30-10_09-JARI_Brake_Measurement.pdf?api=v2 2020
- https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/research/single-project.php?row_id=66826 2020
- Grigoratos , T. , and Martini , G. Brake Wear Particle Emissions: A Review Environmental Science and Pollution Research 22 4 2491 2504 2014
- https://wiki.unece.org/display/trans/Latest+GTR+15 2018
- https://data.mendeley.com/datasets/dkp376g3m8/1 2020