This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Topology Optimisation of Brake Caliper
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The objective of the research is to develop a lightweight yet stiff, 2 piston fixed brake caliper which can be used in formula student race car. To make a race car, its components need to be lighter. To stop a car with minimum stopping distance, it needs to have a sophisticated braking system with well-designed components. The designing of the caliper is carried out on the Altair Inspire software. The topology optimisation algorithm is used to minimise the weight of the caliper without compromising the stiffness. The structural analysis is also carried out on the Altair Inspire. The caliper is also tested for fatigue failure using Ansys.
CitationUgemuge, M. and Das, S., "Topology Optimisation of Brake Caliper," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1620, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1620.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Ugemuge , M. , and Das , S. Design and Testing of Custom Brake Caliper of a Formula Student Race Car SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0007 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0007
- Sergent , N. , Tirovic , M. , and Voveris , J. Design Optimization of an Opposed Piston Brake Caliper Engineering Optimization 46 11 1520 1537 2014 https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2013.846337
- Ballo , F. , Gobbi , M. , Mastinu , G. , and Pishdad , A. Lightweight Design of a Brake Caliper ASME. International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, 1: 15th International Conference on Advanced Vehicle Technologies; 10th International Conference on Design Education; 7th International Conference on Micro- and Nanosystems V001T01A010 https://doi.org/10.1115/DETC2013-12431
- Mastinu , G. 2017 Brake Development Methods-Topology Optimization of a Brake Caliper and Upright of a Race Car Pfeffer , P. 7th International Munich Chassis Symposium 2016, Proceedings Wiesbaden Springer Vieweg
- Farias , L.T. , Schommer , A. , Haselein , B.Z. , Soliman , P. et al. Design of a Brake Caliper using Topology Optimization Integrated with Direct Metal Laser Sintering SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0539 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0539
- Article , J. , Tirovic , M. , Sergent , N. , Campbell , J. et al. Structural Analysis of a Commercial Vehicle Disc Brake Caliper Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Journal of Automobile Engineering https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407011423447
- Shah , A. , Patil , S. , and Abhyankar , U. Innovative Concept of Front Disc Brake Module with Weight Reduction and Cost Optimisation SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2505 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2505
- Weiss , E. , Braun , G. , Schmidt , E. , Dullinger , M. et al. Measurement of the Actuation Force of the Brake Pedal in Brake-by-wire Systems Via the Use of Micromechanical Sensors Krueger , S. and Gessner , W. Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications Yearbook 2002. VDI-Buch Berlin, Heidelberg Springer 2002
- Doshi , M. , Subramaniam , S. , Patel , S. , and Shah , M. Performance Optimization of Bias Bar-Type Brake System Using Data Acquisition System (DAQ) Vasudevan , H. , Kottur , V. , and Raina , A. Proceedings of International Conference on Intelligent Manufacturing and Automation. Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering Singapore Springer 2019
- Patel , P.M. and Sudheendra , S. Design and Analysis of Titanium Caliper Disc Brake IJEDR 5 1 2017 2321-9939
- Shah , Shah , R. , Thigale , C. , and Swapnil Design and Analysis of a Hydraulic Brake Caliper International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology. 8 33 41 2017
- Xingchen , Chen , Y. , Huang , C. , Bolot , C. et al. Effect of Heat Treatment on the Phase Transformation and Mechanical Properties of Ti6Al4V Fabricated by Selective Laser Melting Journal of Alloys and Compounds 2018 https://doi.org/764.10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.06.076
- Limpert , R. Brake Design and Safety Second Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers Inc