This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi Domain Modeling of NVH for Electro-Mechanical Drives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
Acoustics and vibrations are amongst the foremost indicators in perceiving the quality of drive units. Analyzing these factors is vital for improve the performances of electro-mechanical systems. This paper deals with the study of vibro-acoustic behavior concerning the drivetrain components using system modeling and Finite Element calculations. A generic simulation methodology within system modeling is proposed enabling the vibro-acoustic simulation of electro-mechanical drivetrains. Excitations for these systems mostly arise from the electric motor and mechanical gears. The paper initially depicts the system model for gear whining considering the associated nonlinearities of the mesh. The results obtained from the gear mesh submodel, together with the excitations resulting from the motor, aid in the comprehension of the forces at the bearings and of the vibrations at the housings. Furthermore, acoustical characterization of the variants is depicted by the examination of emitted acoustic pressures and intensities, which are calculated using the setups of acoustic finite elements. For the method verification, a three-stage gear model of an electro-mechanical drivetrain is developed. The simulation model allows studying rotational oscillations of the shafts, three-dimensional vibrations of gear parts and peripheral components and pressure fluctuations of the surrounding fluids. Eventually, the experimental validations for surface vibrations and acoustic fluctuations are performed with the aid of a laser vibrometer and acoustic camera. Finally, it is shown that the system level simulations allow for a better grasp of the vibrations and noise involved in the drivetrain assemblies.
CitationKolluru, Y., Doelling, R., and Hedrich, L., "Multi Domain Modeling of NVH for Electro-Mechanical Drives," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1584, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1584.
- Kato, T., Mizutani, R., Matsumoto, H., and Yamamoto, K. , “Advanced Technologies of Traction Motor for Automobile,” in Proceedings of the IEEE ECCE Asia Downunder, Melbourne, Australia, June 3-6, 2013, 147-152.
- de Santiago, J., Bernhoff, H., Ekergard, B., Eriksson, S. et al. , “Electrical Motor Drivelines in Commercial all-Electric Vehicles: A Review,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol 61:475-484, 2012.
- Rask, E., Duoba, M., and Losh-Bush, H. , “Recent Hybrid Electric Vehicle Trends and Technologies,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), Chicago, Sept. 6-9, 2011, 1-6.
- Rodriguez, J.M., Meneses, R., and Orus, J. , “Active Vibration Control for Electric Vehicle Compliant Drivetrains,” in Proceedings of the 39th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Vienna, Austria, Nov. 10-13, 2013, 2590-2595.
- Ito, Y., Tomura, S., and Moriya, K. , “Vibration-Reducing Motor Control for Hybrid Vehicles,” R&D Review of Toyota CRDL 40:37-43, 2005.
- Kolluru, Y., Doelling, R., and Hedrich, L. , “Numerical Simulations of Vibro-Acoustic Behaviors Related to Drive Train Assemblies,” in 2019 International Symposium on Systems Engineering (ISSE), Oct. 2019, 1-8.
- Genc, M., Budak, B., and Kaya, N. , “Modellng and Vibration Analysis of Powertrain System,” International Journal of Automotive Science and Technology 17-25, 2018, https://doi.org/10.30939/ijastech 345094.
- Amann, N., Bocker, J., and Prenner, F. , “Active Damping of Drive Train Oscillations for an Electrically Driven Vehicle,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 9:697-700, 2004.
- Alves, C.J., and Antunes, P.R. , “Numerical Calculations of Eigen Frequencies and Eigen Modes of 3-D Simply-Connected Domain Using Method of Fundamental Solutions,” Proceeding of ICCES 5, 2005.
- Corves, B. , Multi-Body Dynamics-Vibration Analysis (RWTH Aachen: Institute of General Mechanics, 2017).
- Anderl, R. , Simulations with NX: Kinematics, FEM, CFD, EM and Data Management with Numerous Examples of NX 9 (Hanser eLibrary. Hanser Publications, 2014).
- Preumont, A. , Vibration Control of Active Structures: An Introduction (Germany, Netherlands: Springer, 2011).
- Saeed, E., and Peter, E. , Rigid-Elastic Modeling of Meshing Gear Wheels in Multibody Systems (Springer Science, 2005).
- Morgan, J.A., Dhulipudi, M.R., Yakoub, R.Y., and Lewis, A.D. , “Gear Mesh Excitation Models for Assessing Gear Rattle and Gear Whine of Torque Transmission Systems with Planetary Gear Sets,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2245, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2245.
- Hiroaki, E., and Nader, S. , Gearbox Simulation Models with Gear and Bearing Faults (Intech, 2012).
- Wriggers, P. , Computational Contact Mechanics Second Edition (New Jersey: Springer, 2006), 416-430.
- Jover Rodríguez, P.V., Belahcen, A., Arkkio, A. et al. , “Air-Gap Force Distribution and Vibration Pattern of Induction Motors under Dynamic Eccentricity,” Electr Eng 90:209, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00202-007-0066-2.
- Simulia, A. , “Analysis User’s Guide, Defining Submodel, Dassault Systems Simulia,” 2019.
- Polytec GmbH Technology , https://www.polytec.com/eu/vibrometry/technology/, accessed Apr. 29, 2019.
- Head Acoustics , “Acoustic Camera/Head Visor (Code/5000ff) Handbook,” 2016.
- Siemens LMS , “LMS Test. Lab Structures Training,” 2015.
- Tuononen, A., and Lajunen, A. , “Modal Analysis of Different Drivetrain Configurations in Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Vibration and Control 24:126-136, 2016.
- Crolla, D.A., and Cao, D. , “The Impact of Hybrid and Electric Powertrains on Vehicle Dynamics, Control Systems and Energyregeneration. Vehicle System Dynamics,” Int. J. Veh. Mechanics and Mobility 50:95-109, 2012.
- Jan, T., Welf-Guntram, D., and Eric, H. , “Acoustical Optimization of a Train Gearbox Based on Overall System Simulation,” in INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings, Inter Noise 16, Hamburg Germany, 2016, 1-885, 1-10 (10).
- Ghorbel, A., Abdennadher, M., Walha, L., Zghal, B. et al. , Vibration Analysis of a Nonlinear Drivetrain System in the Presence of Acyclism. Design and Modeling of Mechanical Systems—III. CMSM, Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering (Cham: Springer, 2018).
- Parker, R.G., Guo, Y., and Eritenel, T. , Vibration Propagation of Gear Dynamics in a Gear-Bearing-Housing System Using Mathematical Modeling and Finite Element Analysis (Columbus, OH: The Ohio State University, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 2012).
- Saito, A., Kuroishi, M., and Nakai, H. , “Vibration Prediction Method of Electric Machines by Using Experimental Transfer Function and Magnetostatic Finite Element Analysis,” Journal of Physics Conference Series (Online) 744(1):12, Sept. 2016, https://doi.org/101088/1742-6596/744/1/012088.
- Zegelaar, P.W.A. , “The Dynamic Response of Tyres to Brake Torque Variations and Road Unevennesses,” Ph.D. thesis, Delft University of Technology, NL, 1998.
- Smith, J.D. , Gear Noise and Vibration Second Edition (New York, Basel: Marcel Dekker, Inc., 2003).
- Tim, D. , “Method for System Level Vibro-Acoustic Gear Modeling and Simulation of Electro-Mechanical Drive Trains,” in 2015, IEEE International Symposium on Systems Engineering (ISSE), Rome, Italy, 2015.