This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a Multiwaves Vibration Filtering
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
In vibroacoustic, bandgap effects related to periodic and/or locally resonant architectural materials can lead to new types of structural vibration filters. This communication concerns periodic pipes used in industrial context. Such pipes are seen, as architectural structural waveguides in which flexural, torsional, and longitudinal waves can propagate. To control the propagation of these vibrations and reduce their possible noise disturbance, Bragg or resonant band effects can be obtained by architecting the axial variations of the cross-section. As a result, a waveguide can be tuned to create stop bands with bandwidths large enough to make them interesting for industrial applications. For this purpose, dispersion relations are derived and analyzed based on the Floquet method and numerical Finite Element simulations. In many practical cases, all kinds of waves generally coexist due to the inevitable structural couplings. Therefore, the optimization of the geometric and mechanical characteristics of the structure must be realized to attenuate several (at least two) types of waves at the same time. The response of optimized architecture pipes of finite size is simulated using the finite element method in order to illustrate the potential filter effect for practical applications.
CitationPlisson, J., Pelat, A., Gautier, F., Romero-Garcia, V. et al., "Design of a Multiwaves Vibration Filtering," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1560, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1560.
- Economou , E. , and Sigalas , M. Classical Wave Propagation in Periodic Structures: Cermet versus Network Topology Phys. Rev. B 48 18 13434 1993
- Kushwaha , M. , Halevi , P. , Dobrzynski , L. , and Djafari-Rouhani , B. Acoustic Band Structure of Periodic Elastic Composites Phys. Rev. Lett. 71 13 2022 2025 1993
- Brillouin , L. , and Parodi , M. Propagation des ondes dans les milieux periodiques Masson et Cie 1956
- Carta , G. and Brun , M. Bloch-Floquet Waves in Flexural Systems with Continuous And Discrete Elements Mechanics of Materials 87 11 26 2015
- Nobrega , E. , Gautier , F. , Pelat , A. , and Dos Santos , J. Vibration Band Gaps for Elastic Metamaterial Rods Using Wave Finite Element Method Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 79 192 202 2016
- Yu , D. , Liu , Y. , Zhao , H. , Wang , G. et al. Flexural Vibration Band Gaps in Euler-Bernoulli Beams with Locally Resonant Structures with Two Degrees of Freedom Physical Review B 73 2006
- Zhou , C.W. , Laine , J.P. , Ichchou , M.N. , and Zine , A.M. Wave Finite Element Method Based on Reduced Model for One-Dimensional Periodic Structures International Journal of Applied Mechanics 07 1550018 2015
- Hvatov , A. , and Sorokin , S. Free Vibrations of Finite Periodic Structures in Pass- and Stop-Bands of the Counterpart Infinite Waveguides Journal of Sound and Vibration 347 200 217 2015
- Pelat , A. , Gallot , T. , and Gautier , F. On the Control of the First Bragg Band Gap in Periodic Continuously Corrugated Beam for Flexural Vibration Journal of Sound and Vibration 446 249 262 Apr. 2019
- Lagarias , J.C. , Reeds , J.A. , Wright , M.H. , and Wright , P.E. Convergence Properties of the Nelder-Mead Simplex Method in Low Dimensions SIAM Journal on Optimization 9 1 112 147 1998
- Claeys , C. , de Melo Filho , N.G.R. , Van Belle , L. , Deckers , E. et al. Design and Validation of Metamaterials for Multiple Structural Stop Bands in Waveguides Extreme Mechanics Letters 12 7 22 2017