This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated Application of Active Sound Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
In modern vehicle acoustics, Active Sound Design (ASD) is a popular method to enhance the interior sound perception of a vehicle. In vehicles with a traditional internal combustion engine, the load dependency of the sound can be increased to give a positive dynamic feedback. Irritating small band resonances can be attenuated by boosting the surrounding frequency content, and downsized-engines with a small number of cylinders can be made to sound like the larger ones from former days. However, once a characteristic sound is designed for a specific vehicle, it is a tedious process to transfer this lead-sound to derivatives (e.g. same model but different exhaust system). So far, sound designers must adapt the ASD dataset manually - usually this takes several loops of measuring the vehicles interior sound on a track and adjusting the ASD settings back in the office. This paper introduces a new method of a semi-automated transfer of the interior sound from a reference vehicle to a target vehicle by using ASD, where the reference vehicle and every target vehicle must be measured only once. The novel software tool automatically compares the measurements of a reference-target-pair in terms of an order analysis. The resulting differences are directly used to create a new ASD dataset for the target vehicle. Presented test results show a remarkable match between the interior sounds of the chosen reference-target-pair.
CitationEisele, G., Streicher, B., Lange, S., Steffens, C. et al., "Automated Application of Active Sound Design," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1539, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1539.
- Joachim , S. , Ulrich , W. , and Jens , W. Active Noise Control and Sound Quality Design in Motor Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1846 1999 https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1846
- Markus , B. and Torsten , B. Comprehensive Automotive Active Sound Design-Part 1: Electric and Combustion Vehicles INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings 249 3214 3219 2014
- Markus , B. and Torsten , B. Comprehensive Automotive Active Sound Design-Part 2: Operational Sounds and Brand Sound INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings 249 3228 3231 2014
- Zeller , P. Aktive Schallbeeinflussung Handbuch Fahrzeugakustik Springer 2018 282 288
- Scheuber , J. , Schirmacher , R. , and Josef , H. Active Design of Automotive Engine Sound INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings. Institute of Noise Control Engineering 2002 1544 1549