This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling and Numerical Simulation of the Noise Generated by Automotive Turbocharger Compressor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
We study in detail the flow mechanism, the aeroacoustic sources and its sound propagation in turbochargers by applying numerical simulations based on an appropriate aeroacoustic formulation. Thereby, we consider Lightill’s analogy for the investigation of the different noise mechanisms. The flow inside a turbocharger is highly turbulent and compressible. Thus, all three terms of Lighthill’s tensor are examined: (1) the Reynolds stress term, (2) the excess term and (3) the viscosity term. The investigations will be performed both in time and frequency domain, and we do a detailed study of the influences of different spatial and temporal discretizations.
CitationKaltenbacher, M., Freidhager, C., and Schoder, S., "Modelling and Numerical Simulation of the Noise Generated by Automotive Turbocharger Compressor," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1512, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1512.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Evans, D., and Ward, A. , “Inimizing Turbocharger Whoosh Noise for Diesel Powertrains,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2485, 2005, http://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2485.
- Teng, C., and Homco, S. , “Investigation of Compressor Whoosh Noise in Automotive Turbochargers,” SAE Int. J. of Passeng. Cars-Mech. Syst. 2(1):1345-1351, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2053.
- Kameier, F., and Neise, W. , “Rotating Blade Flow Instability as a Source of Noise in Axial Turbomachines,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 833-853, 1997.
- Mendonca, F., Baris, O., and Capon, G. , “Simulation of Radial Compressor Aeroacoustics Using CFD,” Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, 2012.
- Wakaki, D., Sakuka, Y., Yamasaki, N., and Yamagata, A. , “Study on Rotational Frequency Noise in a Centrifugal Compressor for Automobile Turbochargers,” Journal of Thermal Science 53-59, 2014.
- Wakaki, D., Sakuka, Y., Inokuchi, Y., Ueda, K. et al. , “CFD Simulation of Pulsation Noise in a Small Centrifugal Compressor with Volute and Resonance Tube,” Journal of Thermal Science 24-29, 2015.
- Park, H. and Kim, P. , “Experimental Investigation on the Pulsation Noise Induced from Automotive Turbocharger Compressors,” in International Conference on Mechatronics, Control and Electronic Engineering, 2014.
- Broatch, A., Galindo, J., Navarro, R., Garcia-Tiscar, J. et al. , “Simulations and Measurements of Automotive Turbocharger Compressor Whoosh Noise,” Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics 9:12-20, 2015.
- Torregrosa, A.J., Broatch, A., and Margot, X. , “Experimental Methodology for Turbocompressor In-Duct Noise Evaluation Based on Beamforming Wave Decomposition,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 376:60-71, 2016.
- Li, P. , “Reducing Turbocharger Whoosh Noise for a Gasoline Engine MPV,” in 8th Symposium Automotive NVH Comfort Symposium, 2014.
- Broatch, A., Galindo, J., Navarro, R., and Garcia-Tiscar, J. , “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Automotive Turbocharger Compressor Aeroacoustics at Different Operating Conditions,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 1-11, 2016.
- Navarro, R. , “A Numerical Approach for Predicting Flow-Induced Acoustics at Near-Stall Conditions in an Automotive Turbocharger Compressor,” Ph.D. thesis, Universitat Politecnica Valencia, 2014.
- Sundström, E. , “Centrifugal Compressor Flow Instabilities at Low Mass Flow Rate,” PhD thesis, KTH Stockholm, 2016.
- Karim, A., Miazgowicz, K., Lizotte, B., and Zouani, A. , “Computational Aero-Acoustics Simulation of Compressor Whoosh Noise in Automotive Turbochargers,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1880, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1880.
- Wakaki, D., Sakuka, Y., Inokuchi, Y., Ueda, K. et al. , “CFD Simulation of Pulsation Noise in a Small Centrifugal Compressor with Volute and Resonance Tube,” Journal of Thermal Science 24:24-29, 2015.
- Liu, C., Cao, Y., Zhang, W., Ming, P. et al. , “Numerical and Experimental Investigations of Centrifugal Compressor BPF Noise,” Applied Acoustics 150:290-301, 2019.
- Sundström, E., Semlitsch, B., and Mihaescu, M. , “Acoustic Signature of Flow Instabilities in Radial Compressors,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 434:221-236, 2018.
- Lighthill, M.J. , “On Sound Generated Aerodynamically I. General Theory,” Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A 211:564-587, 1952.
- Lighthill, M.J. , “On Sound Generated Aerodynamically II. Turbulence as a Source of Sound,” Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A 222:1-22, 1954.
- Zeng, Z., Li, X., Li, C., and Zhu, Y. , “Modeling Ventilation in Naturally Ventilated Double-Skin Facade with a Venetian Blind,” Building and Environmen 1-6, 2012.
- Boretti, A. , “Experimental and Computational Analysis of a Transonic Compressor Rotor,” in 17th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, Auckland, 2010.
- Sundström, E. , “Flow Instabilities in Centrifugal Compressors at Low Mass Flow Rate,” Ph.D. thesis, KTH, Sweden, 2017.
- Junger, C. , “Computational Aeroacoustics for the Characterization of Noise Sources in Rotating Systems,” Ph.D. thesis, TU Wien, 2019.
- “Star-CCM+ Documentation—Steve Portal,” https://thesteveportal.plm.automation.siemens.com/Home, 1999, accessed Dec. 10, 2019.
- Wille, R. , “Karman Vortex Streets,” Advances in Applied Mechanics 273-287, 1960.
- Kaltenbacher, M., Hüppe, A., Reppenhagen, A., Zenger, F. et al. , “Computational Aeroacoustics for Rotating Systems with Application to an Axial Fan,” AIAA Journal 5, 2017.
- Schoder, S., Roppert, K., Weitz, M., Junger, C. et al. , “Aeroacoustic Source Term Computation Based on Radial Basis Functions,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 2019.