This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Step by Step Conversion of ICE Motorcycle to a BEV Configuration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the mass movement toward electrification and renewable technologies, the scope of innovation of electrification has gone beyond the automotive industry into areas such as electric motorcycle applications. This paper provides a discussion of the methodology and complexities of converting an internal combustion motorcycle to an electric motorcycle. In developing this methodology, performance goals including, speed limits, range, weight, charge times, as well as riding styles will be examined and discussed.
Based on the goals of this paper, parts capable of reaching the performance targets are selected accordingly. Documentation of the build process will be presented along with the constraints, pitfalls, and difficulties associated with the process of the project. The step-by-step process that is developed can be used as a guideline for future build and should be used as necessary. During the development and conversion process, the model of the electric motorcycle was developed in Simulink to size the battery pack and the electric motor. This model was also the focus of different design experiments to choose the proper components and subsystems to minimize the development cycle time.
The goal of this paper is also to provide guidelines of the conversion process for the future industry as well as the academic arena.
CitationLawrence, M. and Siavoshani, S., "Step by Step Conversion of ICE Motorcycle to a BEV Configuration," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1436, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1436.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Barlow, T.J., Latham, S., McCrae, I.S., and Boulter, P.G. , A Reference Book of Driving Cycle for Use in the Measurement oRoad Vehicle Emissions Version:3 Edition (TRL Limited, 2009).
- BMS Battery Management by Batrium , “Batrium,” Accessed October 24, 2019. https://www.batrium.com/.
- Cossalter, V. , Cossalter V: Motorcycle Dynamics 2Nd Edition (Erscheinungsort nicht ermittelbar: Gardners Books Ltd. Eastbourne, 2006).
- Ehsani, M., Gao, Y., and Emadi, A. , Modern Electric, Hybrid Electric, and Fuel Cell Vehicles: Fundamentals, Theory, and Design (Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2010).
- Veiga, I.V.A., Zymler, R., Shayani, R.A., Viana, D.M., and Orrico, M.V.M. , “Sizing of Motor and Battery Pack for an Automotive Electric Vehicle Given a Specific Route,” in 2012 Sixth IEEE/PES Transmission and Distribution: Latin America Conference and Exposition (T&D-LA), Montevideo, 2012, 1-8, doi:10.1109/TDC-LA.2012.6522595.
- Yao, L.W., Aziz, J.A., Kong, P.Y. and Idris, N.R.N. , “Modeling of Lithium-Ion Battery Using MATLAB/Simulink,” in IECON 2013 - 39th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Vienna, 2013, 1729-1734, doi:10.1109/IECON.2013.6699393.
- Lebel, F.A., Pelletier, L., Messier, P., and Trovao, J.P. , “Battery Pack Sizing Method - Case Study of an Electric Motorcycle,” in 2018 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/vppc.2018.8604955.
- “ME1302 Brushless 15 KW - 38 KW Liquid-Cooled PMAC Motor 24-120V,” ElectricMotorsport.com. Accessed October 20, 2019, https://www.electricmotorsport.com/me1302-brushless-15-kw-38-kw-liquid-cooled-pmac-motor-24-120v.html.
- Matsuda, Y., Murase, T., and Kawai, D. , “The Feasibility Study of a Design Concept of Electric Motorcycle,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1775, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1775.
- Matsuda, Y. , “A Study of Electric Motorcycle,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0012, 2014, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-32-0012.
- Williamson, S.S. , “Electric Drive Train Efficiency Analysis Based on Varied Energy Storage System Usage for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle Applications,” in 2007 IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Orlando, FL, 2007, 1515-1520. doi:10.1109/PESC.2007.4342219.
- Yao, L.W., Aziz, J.A., Kong, P.Y., and Idris, N.R.N. , “Modeling of Lithium-Ion Battery Using MATLAB/Simulink,” in IECON 2013 - 39th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, November 2013.
- “Zero FX,” Zero FX Electric Motorcycle||ZERO MOTORCYCLES, Accessed January 4, 2020, https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/.