This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of JASO GLV-1 0W-8 Low Viscosity Engine Oil for Improving Fuel Efficiency considering Oil Consumption and Engine Wear Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Engine oil with viscosity lower than 0W-16 has been needed for improving fuel efficiency in the Japanese market. However, lower viscosity oil generally has negative aspects with regard to oil consumption and anti-wear performance. The technical challenges are to reduce viscosity while keeping anti-wear performance and volatility level the same as 0W-20 oil. They have been solved in developing a new engine oil by focusing on the molybdenum dithiocarbamate friction modifier and base oil properties. This paper describes the new oil that supports good fuel efficiency while reliably maintaining other necessary performance attributes.
- Sachiko Okuda - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Hiroki Saito - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Seiichi Nakano - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Yusuke Koike - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Takumaru Sagawa - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Satoshi Kawamura - Nissan Automotive Technology Co., Ltd.
- Keisuke Yoshida - Aichi Machine Industry Co.,Ltd.
CitationOkuda, S., Saito, H., Nakano, S., Koike, Y. et al., "Development of JASO GLV-1 0W-8 Low Viscosity Engine Oil for Improving Fuel Efficiency considering Oil Consumption and Engine Wear Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1423, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1423.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
- Tanaka, H., Nagashima, T., Sato, T., and Kawauchi, S. , “The Effect of 0W-20 Low Viscosity Engine Oil on Fuel Economy,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3468 , 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3468.
- Yamada, Y., Ishimaru, M., Yaguchi, A., Inoue, K. et al. , “Retention of Friction Reducing Performance of MoDTC-Containing Fuel Efficient Gasoline Engine Oils During Use,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2053 , 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2053.
- Sagawa, T., Ueno, T., Nakamura, K., Ishikawa, T. et al. , “Development of 0W-20 ILSAC GF-3 Gasoline Engine Oil,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1636 , 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1636.
- Mabuchi, Y., Hamada, T., Izumi, H., Yasuda, Y. et al. , “The Development of Hydrogen-free DLC-coated Valve-lifter,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1752 , 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1752.
- Okuda, S., Dewa, T., and Sagawa, T. , “Development of 5W-30 GF-4 Fuel-saving Engine Oil for DLC-coated Valve Lifters,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1979 , 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1979.
- Sagawa, T., Nakano, S., Bito, Y., Koike Okuda, S., and Suzuki, R. , “Development of Low Viscosity API SN 0W-16 Fuel-Saving Engine Oil Considering Chain Wear Performance,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(2):469-477, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0881.
- SAE Standards , “Engine Oil Viscosity Classification,” SAE J300, 2015.
- JASO Standards , “Material and Surface Treatment, Automobile Gasoline Engine Oils,” No. m364-19e, JSAE(2019).
- Yoshida, S., Yamamori, K., Hirano, S., Sagawa, T., Okuda, S., Miyoshi, T., and Yukimura, S. , “The Development of JASO GLV-1 - Next Generation Low Viscosity Automotive Gasoline Engine Oils Specification,” 2019 JSAE spring meeting.
- Sagawa, T., Nakano, S., Shouganji, I., and Okuda, S. , “MR20DD Motoring Fuel Economy Test for 0W-12 and 0W-8 Low Viscosity Engine Oil,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2295 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2295.
- Nakashima, Y., Yamamori, K., and Hirano, S. , “New Approach to JASO Standardization of New Fired Fuel Economy Engine Dyno Test for the New JASO Gasoline Engine Oil Standard for Low Viscosity Grades (JASO GLV-1),” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2297 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2297.
- Kamata, K. , “Technical Trends of GTL Base Oil,” Journal of Economic Maintenance Tribology 634:19-23, 2018.
- Clark, R., Wedlock, D., and Cherrillo, R. , “Future Fuels and Lubricant Base Oils from Shell Gas to Liquids (GTL) Technology,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2191 , 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2191.
- JASO Standards , “Material and Surface Treatment, Automobile Gasoline Engine Oils - Motored Fuel Economy Test Procedure,” No. m365-19e, JSAE, 2019.
- Okuyama, Y., Shimokoji, D., Sakurai, T., and Maruyama, M. , “Study of Low-Viscosity Engine Oil on Fuel Economy and Engine Reliability,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1247 , 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1247.
- Iijima, N., Sakurai, T., Suyama, S., Takiguchi, M. et al , “Relation between Lubricating Oil Consumption and Oil Evaporation on Cylinder Wall in Gasoline Engine,” JSAE Proceeding Spring, No. 43-08, 205-20085255, pp. 5-8, 2008.
- Harigaya, Y., Suzuki, M., and Yamaguga, K. , Study on Lubricating Oil Evaporation on Cylinder Liner Wall of an Engine. Vol. 59-2 (Bulletin of the Faculty of Education, Utsunomiya University, 2009), 57-64.