This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Thermal Behavior of Dry Clutch under Non-Uniform Pressure Condition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Accuracy of heat flux models is critical to clutch design in case of excessive temperatures due to large amounts of friction heat generated in the narrow space. Pressure distribution on the clutch friction interface is an important factor affecting heat flux distribution, thus affecting temperature distribution. In this paper, an experiment is conducted to obtain the pressure distribution for one typical dry clutch equipped with a set of diaphragm spring. Considering that the frictional interface is in contact, this study makes use of pressure sensitive film and acquires data based on image processing techniques. Then a polynomial mathematical model with dimensionless parameters is developed to fit the pressure distribution on the friction disc. After that, the proposed pressure model is applied to a thermal model based on finite element method. In addition, two conventional thermal models (i.e., uniform heat flux model and uniform pressure model), are implemented for comparison. Finally, a dynamometer test is carried out to verify the proposed pressure model. The simulation results from the proposed pressure model and other two models are provided with temperature profiles along with time and radius. The results from the non-uniform pressure model agrees the experimental results better than those from the two conventional models. Therefore, the proposed non-uniform pressure model could provide a more accurate temperature prediction.
CitationJin, Y., Chen, L., and Cheng, C., "Transient Thermal Behavior of Dry Clutch under Non-Uniform Pressure Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1418, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Liu, F., Chen, L., and Fang, C. , “Modeling and Experimental Validation of Lever-Based Electromechanical Actuator for Dry Clutches,” Advances in Mechanical Engineering 8(9), 2017.
- Fang, C., Chen, L., and Liu, F. , “Finite Element Heat Transfer Model and Experimental Verification of Dry Dct Main Clutch,” Drive System Technique 4(3-8):28, 2016.
- Pisaturo, M., Cirrincione, M., and Senatore, A. , “Temperature on the Dry-Clutch Engagement Control in Gear-Shift Manoeuvres,” Paper presented at the in 2015 23rd Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), June 16-19, 2015.
- Przybilla, M., Kunze, C., Celik, S., and Dongaonkar, S. , “Combined Simulation Approach For Dry Clutch Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1232, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1232.
- Yevtushenko, A.A. and Grzes, P. , “The FEM-Modeling of the Frictional Heating Phenomenon in the Pad/Disc Tribosystem,” Numerical Heat Transfer 58(3):20, 2010.
- Belhocine, A. and Bouchetara, M. , “Thermal Analysis of a Solid Brake Disc,” Applied Thermal Engineering 32:59-67, 2012.
- Sun, S., Lei, Y., Fu, Y. et al. , “Analysis of Thermal Load for Dry Clutch under the Frequent Launching Condition,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0814, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0814.
- Pisaturo, M. and Senatore, A. , “Simulation of Engagement Control in Automotive Dry-Clutch and Temperature Field Analysis through Finite Element Model,” Applied Thermal Engineering 93:958-966, 2016.
- Pisaturo, M., Senatore, A., and D'Agostino, V. , Automotive Dry-Clutch Control: Engagement Tracking and FE Thermal Model (IEEE Jubilee International Conference on Intelligent Engineering Systems, June 2016).
- Cui, J., Xie, F., and Wang, C. , “Numerical Investigation on Thermal Deformation of Friction Pair in Hydro-Viscous Drive,” Applied Thermal Engineering 90:460-470, 2015.
- Cui, J., Xie, F., and Wang, C. , “Numerical Investigation on Thermal Deformation of Friction Pair in Hydro-Viscous Drive,” Applied Thermal Engineering 90(5):460-470, 2015.
- Sfarni, S., Bellenger, E., Fortin, J., and Malley, M. , “Numerical and Experimental Study of Automotive Riveted Clutch Discs with Contact Pressure Analysis for the Prediction of Facing Wear,” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 47(2):129-141, 2011.
- Abdullah, O.I., Schlattmann, J., and Al-Shabibi, A.M. , “Stresses and Deformations Analysis of a Dry Friction Clutch System,” Tribology in Industry 35(2):155-162, 2013.
- Abdullah, O.I. and Schlattmann, J. , “Contact Analysis of a Dry Friction Clutch System,” ISRN Mechanical Engineering 1-9, 2013, 2013.
- Abdullah, O.I. and Schlattmann, J. , “Thermal Behavior of Friction Clutch Disc Based on Uniform Pressure and Uniform Wear Assumptions,” 4(3): 228-237, 2016.
- Abdullah, O.I. and Schlattmann, J. , “Finite Element Analysis of Temperature Field in Automotive Dry Friction Clutch,” Tribology in Industry 34(4):206-216, 2012.
- Abdullah, O.I. and Schlattmann, J. , “The Correction Factor for Rate of Energy Generated in the Friction Clutches under Uniform Pressure Condition,” Advances in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics 5:277-290, 2012.
- Xu, T. , Similarity Theory and Model Test (Beijing: Machinery Industry Press, 1982). ISBN:7562922004.
- Rohsenow, W.M., Hartnett, J.P., and Ganic, E.N. , Handbook of Heat Transfer Applications 2th Edition (New York: Mcgraw-Hill Education, 1985). ISBN:9780070535558.
- Raghavan, M.R. and Jayachandran, R. , “Analysis of the Performance Characteristics of a Two-Inertia Power Transmission System with a Plate Clutch,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 24(6):499-503, 1989.
- Czél, B., Váradi, K., Albers, A., and Mitariu, M. , “Fe Thermal Analysis of a Ceramic Clutch,” Tribology International 42(5):714-723, 2009.
- Senatore, A., D'Agostino, V., Di Giuda, R., and Petrone, V. , “Experimental Investigation and Neural Network Prediction of Brakes and Clutch Material Frictional Behaviour Considering the Sliding Acceleration Influence,” Tribology International 44(10):1199-1207, 2011.
- Prescale Pressure Measurement Film Instruction Manual, Fuji Film Company Website, http://www.fujifilm.com.cn/products/prescale/prescalefilm/prescalefilm.html, 2019.