This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation on the Regeneration of Lean NO X Trap Using Dimethyl Ether
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The ever-stringent emission regulations are major challenges for the diesel fueled engines in automotive industry. The applications of advanced after-treatment technologies as well as alternative fuels  are considered as promising methodology to reduce exhaust emission from compression ignition (CI) engines. Using dimethyl ether (DME) as an alternative fuel has been extensively studied by many researchers and automotive manufactures since DME has demonstrated enormous potential in terms of emission reduction, such as low CO emission, and soot and sulfur free. However, the effect of employing DME in a lean NOX trap (LNT) based after-treatment system has not been fully addressed yet.
In this work, investigations of the long breathing LNT system using DME as a reductant were performed on a heated after-treatment flow bench with simulated engine exhaust condition. The scope of the study covers the regeneration effectiveness of NOX on the LNT after-treatment system, the formation of the by-products, including ammonia (NH3), nitrous oxide(N2O), methane (CH4). These by-products were measured and compared with the results when using other types of reductants, such as diesel, ethanol, n-butanol, under the same LNT test conditions. The test results reveal the constantly high regeneration effectiveness of DME as a reductant during the LNT regeneration process under different injection quantities. A lower amount of N2O and NH3, coming along with a higher amount of CH4, are generated when using DME as a reductant, as compared to that of using diesel and n-butanol as reductants under the same conditions.
CitationLiang, L., Zhu, H., Sandhu, N., Purohit, D. et al., "An Investigation on the Regeneration of Lean NOX Trap Using Dimethyl Ether," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1354, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1354.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Purohit , D. 2018
- Thackeray , M.M. , Wolverton , C. , and Isaacs , E.D. Electrical Energy Storage for Transportation-Approaching the Limits of, and Going beyond, Lithium-Ion Batteries Energy & Environmental Science 5 7 7854 7863 2012 10.1039/C2EE21892E
- Naoki , N. , Wu , F.X. , Lee , J.T. , and Yushin , G. Li-Ion Battery Materials: Present and Future Materials Today 18 5 252 264 2015 10.1016/j.mattod.2014.10.040
- Zheng , M. , Reader , G.T. , and Hawley , J.G. Diesel Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation - A Review on Advanced and Novel Concepts Energy Conversion and Management 6 45 883 900 2004 10.1016/S0196-8904(03)00194-8
- Asad , U. 2009
- Idicheria , C. and Pickett , L. Soot Formation in Diesel Combustion under High-EGR Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3834 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3834
- Forzatti , P. , Lietti , L. , Nova , I. , and Tronconi , E. Diesel NOx Aftertreatment Catalytic Technologies: Analogies in LNT and SCR Catalytic Chemistry Catalysis Today 151 June 2010 10.1016/j.cattod.2010.02.025
- Xu , L. , Watkins , W. , Snow , R. , Graham , G. et al. Laboratory and Engine Study of Urea-Related Deposits in Diesel Urea-SCR After-Treatment Systems SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1582 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1582
- Maunula , T. Combination of LNT and SCR for NOx Reduction in Passenger Car Applications Combustion Engines 53 2 2014
- Koebel , M. , Elsener , M. , and Kleemann , M. Urea-SCR: A Promising Technique to Reduce NOx Emissions from Automotive Diesel Engines Catalysis Today 2000 10.1016/s0920-5861(00)00299-6
- Jeftić , M. and Zheng , M. Lean NO x Trap Supplemental Energy Savings with a Long Breathing Strategy Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 227 3 400 408 2013 10.1177/0954407012457900
- Aversa , C. , Yu , S. , Jeftic , M. , Bryden , G. et al. Long Breathing Lean NOx Trap Regeneration with Supplemental N-Butanol SAGE Journals 2018-01 10.1177/0954407017752225
- Jeftic , M. Strategies for Enhanced after-Treatment Performance: Post Injection Characterization and Long Breathing with Low NOx Combustion 2016
- Purohit , D. , Dev , S. , Tan , Q. , Sandhu , N. et al. An Investigation on the Regeneration of Lean NOx Trap Using Ethanol and N-Butanol SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0737 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0737
- Semelsberger , T.A. , Borup , R.L. , and Greene , H.L. Dimethyl Ether (DME) as an Alternative Fuel Journal of power Sources June, 2006 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.05.082
- Sato , Y. , Nozaki , S. , and Noda , T. The Performance of a Diesel Engine for Light Duty Truck Using a Jerk Type In-Line DME Injection System SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1862 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1862
- Huang , Z. , Qiao , X. , Zhang , W. , Wu , J. , and Zhang , J. Dimethyl Ether as Alternative Fuel for CI Engine and Vehicle Front. Energy Power Eng. China 3 1 99 108 2009
- Tamm , S. , Ingelsten , H.H. , and Palmqvist , A.E.C. DME as Reductant for Continuous Lean Reduction of NOx over ZSM-5 Catalysts Catalysis Letters 123 3-4 233 238 2008 10.1007/s10562-008-9487-4
- Erkfeldt , S. , Palmqvist , A. , and Jobson , E. NO x Reduction Performance of Lean NO x Catalyst and Lean NO x Adsorber Using DME as Reducing Agent Topics in Catalysis 42 1-4 149 152 2007
- Park , S. , Byungchul , C. , and Byeong-Soo , O. A Combined System of Dimethyl Ether (DME) Steam Reforming and Lean NOx Trap Catalysts to Improve NOx Reduction in DME Engines International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36 11 6422 6432 2011 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.02.124
- Aversa , C. Investigation on the Performance of a Long Breathing Lean NOx Trap Using N-Butanol 2017
- Wang , J. , Ji , Y. , Easterling , V. , Crocker , M. et al. The Effect of Regeneration Conditions on the Selectivity of NOx Reduction in a Fully Formulated Lean NOx Trap Catalyst Catalysis Today 175 1 83 92 2011 10.1016/j.cattod.2011.02.048
- Castoldi , L. , Lietti , L. , Forzatti , P. , Morandi et al. The NOx Storage-Reduction on PtK/Al2O3 Lean NOx Trap Catalyst Journal of Catalysis 276 2 335 350 10.1016/j.jcat.2010.09.026