This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Testing Methods and Recommended Validation Strategies for Active Safety to Optimize Time and Cost Efficiency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Given the current proliferation of active safety features on new vehicles, especially for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and Highly Automated Driving (HAD) technologies, it is evident that there is a need for testing methods beyond a vehicle level physical test. This paper will discuss the current state of the art in the industry for simulation-based verification and validation (V&V) testing methods. These will include, but are not limited to, "Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL)", “Software-in-the-Loop (SIL)”, “Model-in-the-Loop (MIL)”, “Driver-in-the-Loop (DIL)”, and any other suitable combinations of the aforementioned (XIL). Aspects of the test processes and needed components for simulation will be addressed, detailing the scope of work needed for various types of testing. The paper will provide an overview of standardized test aspects, active safety software validation methods, recommended practices and standards. The focus will be on trade-offs of cost and performance, as well as providing general guidance for the type of testing necessary for different phases of product development and implementation. Specific example applications, such as Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) functions, will be examined relative to the V&V processes.
CitationAllen, J., Koo, W., Murugesan, D., and Zagorski, C., "Testing Methods and Recommended Validation Strategies for Active Safety to Optimize Time and Cost Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1348, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1348.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Kalra, N. and Paddock, S.M. , “Driving to Safety: How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?,” https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR1400/RR1478/RAND_RR1478.pdf, Apr. 2016.
- Allen, J. , “Simulation and Test Systems for Validation of Electric Drive and Battery Management Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2144 , 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-2144.
- Becker, N. , “The Safety of the Intended Functionality Report on ISO/TC22/SC32/WG8 Activities Geneva,” ISO21448 Project, Jan. 31, 2019.
- Muli, M., Moudgal, V., and Allen, J. , “Best Practices and Recommendations for the Model-Based Development Process,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2529 , 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2529.
- Schuette, H. and Waeltermann, P. , “Hardware-in-the-Loop Testing of Vehicle Dynamics Controllers - A Technical Survey,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1660 , 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1660.
- Allen, J. , “Implementation of HIL Testing Systems for Aerospace ECUs,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3385 , 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3385.
- Sievers, G., Seiger, C., Peperhowe, M., Krumm, H. et al. , “Driving Simulation Technologies for Sensor Simulation in SIL and HIL Environments,” in DSC 2018 Europe, 2018.
- Heiming, B. and Haupt, H. , “Hardware-in-the-Loop Testing of Networked Electronics at Ford,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1658 , 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1658.
- Hager, B. and Allen, J. , “Raw Data Injection and Failure Testing of Camera, Radar, and Lidar for Highly Automated Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1378 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1378.
- Form, T. , “General Introduction to Pegasus,” Pegasus Symposium 2017, Aachen, Nov. 2017.
- PEGASUS Project Office , “Pegasus Method: An Overview,” 2019, https://www.pegasusprojekt.de/files/tmpl/Pegasus-Abschlussveranstaltung/PEGASUS-Gesamtmethode.pdf.
- Pegasus Symposium Exhibition Flyer 09, Aachen, Nov. 2017.
- Eberle, U. , “Perspectives on Automated Driving, Development Processes and Beyond,” in Pegasus Symposium, Aachen, Nov. 2017.
- Cassar, J. and Muli, M. , “Virtual Validation: A New Paradigm in Controls Engineering,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2404 , 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2404.
- Bagschik, G., Menzel, T., and Maurer, M. , “Ontology Based Scene Creation for the Development of Automated Vehicles,” in 2018 IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium, Changshu, 2018.
- Euro NCAP , https://www.euroncap.com/en/for-engineers/protocols/.