This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Analysis of a Magnetic Contactor in Electric Vehicle Li-Ion Battery Packs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper, we perform 3D numerical simulations to understand the thermal operation of a high-current-load DC Magnetic Contactor (MC) within a Li-ion battery pack. The main focus is on evaluating the thermal behavior of an electronically controlled MC through a parametric study that investigates the effect of the magnitude of electric current with the corresponding Ohmic heat generation of the MC. For the numerical analysis we perform time-accurate, conjugate heat transfer-based 3D CFD simulations on high spatial resolution grids with commercial CFD software STAR-CCM+. The results of the numerical simulations with temperature dependent material properties are validated against experimental temperature measurements at various locations on the outer body of the MC. The spatial distribution of temperature, and current within the MC and its connected components are also computed for various input parameter values to evaluate a range of its operational validity within an automotive Li-ion battery pack.
CitationPulugundla, G., Galvan, K., and Dubey, P., "Thermal Analysis of a Magnetic Contactor in Electric Vehicle Li-Ion Battery Packs," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1345, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1345.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Croft , T. , Hartwell , F. , and Summers , W. American Electricians' Handbook New York McGraw Hill 2013
- Kim , S-H. Park , H-J. , Ro , J-S. , and Jung , H-K. Design and Analysis Method for a DC Magnetic Contactor with a Permanent Magnet ASME/JSME/KSME, 17th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS) 2014
- Pulugundla , G. , Dubey , P. , and Srouji , A. Time-Accurate CFD Analysis of Liquid Cold Plates for Efficient Thermal Performance of Electric Vehicle Li-Ion Battery Modules 2019-01-0500 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0500
- Zhoujian , A.N. , Li , J. , Yong , D. , Chao , D. et al. A Review on Lithium-Ion Power Battery Thermal Management Technologies and Thermal Safety J. Thermal Sci. 26 391 412 2017
- Pulugundla , G. and Dubey , P. Numerical and Experimental Study of Thermal Behavior of an Electric Fuse in Electric Vehicle Li-ion Battery Packs ASME-JSME-KSME 2019 8th Joint Fluids Engineering Conference American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection
- Guojin , L. , Haiqiang , L. , and Bin , B. Thermal Simulation of Small Capacity AC Contactor Based on ANSYS 26th International Conference on Electrical Contacts 2012
- STAR-CCM+ User’s Manual http://www.cd-adapco.com/products/star-ccm/documentation