This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Innovative Additive Manufacturing Process for Successful Production of 7000 Series Aluminum Alloy Components Using Smart Optical Monitoring System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Aircraft components are commonly produced with 7000 series aluminum alloys (AA) due to its weight, strength, and fatigue properties. Auto Industry is also choosing more and more aluminum component for weight reduction. Current additive manufacturing (AM) methods fall short of successfully producing 7000 series AA due to the reflective nature of the material along with elements with low vaporization temperature. Moreover, lacking in ideal thermal control, print inherently defective products with such issues as poor surface finish alloying element loss and porosity. All these defects contribute to reduction of mechanical strength. By monitoring plasma with spectroscopic sensors, multiple information such as line intensity, standard deviation, plasma temperature or electron density, and by using different signal processing algorithm, AM defects have been detected and classified. For composition analysis, the ratio of the maximum intensities of Mg(I)/Al(I) shows a strong trend with the amount of Zn and Mg in the powder, and the results are extremely promising regarding the ability to use the online spectra for real time determination of the composition of the AA7075 powders with high accuracy. A test matrix based on DOE was built and response surface analysis was performed to get a regression formulae. The formula was utilized to control porosity during the process. Minimizing porosity level, process parameters can be further optimized and verified with the regression formulae. Having optimized process parameters, a preliminary design of in-process control system is followed, incorporating spectral signal data, such as Mg(II)/Mg(I), peak-line intensity ratio of Mg/Al, and so on.
CitationChoi, J., Mazumder, J., and Rice, A., "Innovative Additive Manufacturing Process for Successful Production of 7000 Series Aluminum Alloy Components Using Smart Optical Monitoring System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1300, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Fraser, W.E. , “Metal Additive Manufacturing: A Review,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 23(6):1917-1928, 2014.
- Workshop Summary Report , “The Roadmap Workshop on Measurement Science for Metal-Based Additive Manufacturing,” NIST, May 2013.
- Matsunawa, A. , “Defects Formation Mechanisms in Laser Welding and Their Suppression Methods,” in Proc. of ICALEO, 203-219, 1994.
- Matsunawa, A., Katayama, S., and Fujita, Y. , “Laser Welding of Aluminum Alloys - Defects Formation Mechanisms and Their Suppression Methods,” in Proc. 7th Int. Conf./INALCO ’98: Joints in Aluminum, Cambridge, 65-76, 1998.
- Cao, X., Wallace, W., Immarigeon, J.-P., and Poon, C. , “Research in Laser Welding of Wrought Aluminum Alloys I,” Laser Welding Processes, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 18(1):1-22, 2003a.
- Cao, X., Wallace, W., Immarigeon, J.-P., and Poon, C. , “Research in Laser Welding of Wrought Aluminum Alloys II,” Metallurgical Microstructures, Defects, and Mechanical Properties, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 18(1):23-49, 2003b.
- Dinda, G.P., Dasgupta, A., Bhattacharya, S., Natu, H. et al. , “Microstructural Characterization of Laser-Deposited Al 4047 Alloy,” Metallurgical and Materials Transaction A 44(5):2233-2242, 2013.
- Kutsuna, M. and Yan, Q.U. , “Study on Porosity Formation in Laser Welds of Aluminum Alloys (Report 2): Mechanism of Porosity Formation by Hydrogen and Magnesium,” J. Light Met. Weld. Constr. 36(11):1-17, 1998.
- Zhao, H., White, D.R., and DebRoy, T. , “Current Issues and Problems in Laser Welding of Automotive Aluminum Alloys,” Int. Mater. Rev. 44(6):238-266, 1999.
- Waltenberg, R.G. and Coblentz, W.W. , “Preparation and Reflective Properties of Some Alloys of Aluminum with Zinc and Magnesium,” NBS Scientific Paper 363 15(A2b):653-657.
- Kinsman, K.G., and Duley, W.W. , “Laser Seam Welding of Aluminum Alloys,” US patent #5874708, 1999.
- Mazumder, J., Choi, J., Nagarathnam, K., Koch, J. et al. , “The Direct Metal Deposition of H13 Tool Steel for 3-D Components,” JOM 49(5):55-60, 1997.
- Choi, J. and Chang, Y. , “Characteristics of Laser Aided Direct Metal Deposition Process for Tool Steel,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture 45(4-5):597-607, 2005.
- Grum, J. and Znidarsic, M. , “Microstructure, Microhardness, and Residual Stress Analysis of Laser Surface Cladding of Low-Carbon Steel,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 19(2):243-258, 2004.
- Ghosh, S. and Choi, J. , “Deposition Pattern Based Thermal Stresses in Single-layer Laser Aided Direct Material Deposition Process,” J. of Manuf. Sci. and Eng.-Trans. of the ASME 129(2):319-332, 2007.
- Huang, W. and Kovacevic, R. , “A Laser-Based Vision System for Weld Quality Inspection,” Sensors 11(1):506-521, 2011.
- Huang, W. and Kovacevic, R. , “A Neural Network and Multiple Regression Method for the Characterization of the Depth of Weld Penetration in Laser Welding Based on Acoustic Signatures,” Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 22(2):131-143, 2011.
- Song, L., Huang, W., Han, X., and Mazumder, J. , “Real-Time Composition Monitoring Using Support Vector Regression of Laser-Induced Plasma for Laser Additive Manufacturing,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronic 64(1):633-642, 2017.
- Rodil, S.S., Gomez, R.A., Bernardez, J.M., Rodriguez, F. et al. , “Laser Welding Defects Detection in Automotive Industry Based on Radiation and Spectroscopical Measurements,” Int. J. of Adv. Manuf. Tech. 49(1-4):133-145, 2010.
- Mazumder, J., Dasgupta, A., and Vasilyev, M. , “Optical Sensor for Quality Monitoring of a Welding Process,” US Patent #8,164,022, 2012.
- Mirapeix, J., Ruiz-Lombera, R., Valdiande, J.J., Rodriguez-Cobo, L. et al. , “Defect Detection with CCD-Spectrometer and Photodiode-Based Arc-welding Monitoring Systems,” J. of Mat. Proc. Tech. 211(12):2132-2139, 2011.
- Chen, M.H. and Liu, L.M. , “Study on Attraction of Laser to Arc Plasma in Laser-TIG Hybrid Welding on Magnesium Alloy,” IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science 39(4):1104-1109, 2011.
- Sokolowski, W., Herziger, G., and Beyer, E. , “Spectroscopic Study of Laser-Induced Plasma in the Welding Process of Steel and Aluminum,” High Power Lasers and Laser Machining Tech. 1132:288-295, 1989.
- Finke, B.R., Kapadia, P.D., and Dowden, J.M. , “A Fundamental Plasma Based Model for Energy-Transfer in Laser Material Processing,” J. of Physics D-Applied Physics 23(6):643-654, 1990.
- Dilthey, U., Goumeniouk, A., Lopota, V., and Turichin, G. , “Kinetic Description of Keyhole Plasma in Laser Welding,” Journal of Physics D-Applied Physics 33(21):2747-2753, 2000.
- Szymanski, Z., Kurzyna, J., and Kalita, W. , “The Spectroscopy of the Plasma Plume Induced during Laser Welding of Stainless Steel and Titanium,” J. of Physics D-Applied Physics 30(22):3153-3162, 1997.
- Mirapeix, J., Cobo, A., Garcia-Allende, P.B., Conde, O.M. et al. , “Welding Diagnostics Based on Feature Selection and Optimization Algorithms,” Optical Sensing and Detection 7726, 2010.
- Mazumder, J. and Lee, S.H. , “Monitoring of a Welding Process, Inventors,” U.S. Patent #8,723,078, 2014.
- Mirapeix, J., Cobo, A., Fuentes, J., Davila, M. et al. , “Use of the Plasma Spectrum RMS Signal for Arc-Welding Diagnostics,” Sensors 9(7):5263-5276, 2009.
- Sibillano, T., Ancona, A., Berardi, V., and Lugara, P.M. , “Real-Time Monitoring of Laser Welding by Correlation Analysis: The Case of AA5083,” Optics and Lasers in Eng. 45(10):1005-1009, 2007.
- Cline, H.E. and Anthony, T.R. , “Heat Transfer and Melting Material with Scanning Laser or Electron Beam,” J. of Appl. Phys. 48(9):3899, 1977.
- Smithells, C.J. , Metal Reference Book Eighth Edition (London: Butterworth- Heinemann, 2003).
- Tsuyuki, K., Miura, S., Idris, N., Hendrik, K. et al. , “Measurement of Concrete Strength Using the Emission Intensity Ratio Between Ca(II) 396.8 nm and Ca(I) 422.6 nm in a Nd:YAG Laser-Induced Plasma,” Appl. Spectroscopy 60:61-64, 2006.
- Cowpe, J.S., Moorehead, R.D., Moser, D., Astin, J.S. et al. , “Hardness Determination of Bio-Ceramics Using Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy,” Spectrochim. Acta B 66:290-294, 2011.
- Pilkington, R.D., Astina, J.S., and Cowpe, J.S. , “Application of Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy for Surface Hardness Measurements,” Spectroscopy Europe 27(6):13-15, 2015.
- Vítková, G., Prokeš, L., Novotný, K., Porˇízka, P. et al. , “Hardness Determination of Bio-Ceramics Using Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy,” Spectrochim. Acta B 101:191-199, 2014.
- Chan, G.C.Y., Chan, W.-T., Mao, X., and Russo, R.E. , “Investigation of Matrix Effects in Inductively Coupled Plasma-Atomic Emission Spectroscopy Using Laser Ablation and Solution Nebulization Effect of Second Ionization Potential,” Spectrochimica Acta Part B: Atomic Spectroscopy 56(1):77-92, 2001.
- Chan, G.C.Y. and Hieftje, G.M. , “Warning Indicators for the Presence of Plasma-Related Matrix Effects in Inductively Coupled Plasma-Atomic Emission Spectrometry,” J. Anal. At. Spectrom. 23(2):181-192, 2008.
- Le Drogoff, B., Margot, J., Chaker, M., Sabsabi, M. et al. , “Temporal Characterization of Femtosecond Laser Pulses Induced Plasma for Spectrochemical Analysis of Aluminum Alloys,” Spectrochimica Acta Part B 56:987-1002, 2001.
- Cottam, R., Liu, Q., Wong, Y.C., Wang, J., et al. , “Laser Cladding of High Strength Aluminum Alloy 7075 Powder on a 7075 substrate for Repair of Damaged Components, ” Materials Forum Volume 35, Edited by Howard, P., Huggett, P. and Wuhrer, R., Institute of Materials Engineering Australasia Ltd, 89-94, 2011.
- Durandet, Y., Brandt, M., Liu, Q. , “Challenges of Laser Cladding Al 7075 Alloy with AI-12Si Alloy Powder”, Materials Forum Volume 29, Edited by Howard, P., Huggett, P. and Wuhrer, R., Institute of Materials Engineering Australasia Ltd, 136-142, 2011.
- Keszler, A.M. and Nemes, L. , “Time Averaged Emission Spectra of Nd:YAG Laser Induced Carbon Plasmas,” J. of Mole. Structure 695:211-218, 2004.
- Harilal, S.S., Bindhu, C.V., Isaac, R.C., Nampoori, P.N. et al. , “Electron Density and Temperature Measurements in a Laser Produced Carbon Plasma,” Journal of Applied Physics 82:2140-2146, 1997.
- Kalnicky, D.J. , “Excitation Temperature and Electron Number Density Distributions Experienced by Analyte Species in an Inductively Coupled Argon Plasma,” Retrospective Theses and Dissertations, Iowa State University 5752, 1976.
- Asamoah, E. and Hongbing, Y. , “Influence of Laser Energy on the Electron Temperature of a Laser-Induced Mg Plasma,” Applied Physics B 123(1):22, 2017.
- Tiryakioğlu, M., Robinson, J.S., Salazar-Guapuriche, M.A., Zhao, Y.Y., and Eason, P.D. , “Hardness-Strength Relationships in the Aluminum Alloy 7010,” Materials Science & Engineering A 631:196-200, 2015.
- Flynn, R.J. and Robinson, J.S. , J. Mater. Process. Technol. 153, 674-154, 680, 2004.
- Flynn, R.J. , “Property Prediction and Residual Stresses in Aluminum Alloy 7010,” Ph.D. thesis, University of Limerick, Ireland, 2013.
- Mazumder, J., Song, L., and Wang, C. , “In-situ Identification and Control of Microstructures Produced by Phase Transformation of a Material,” US Patent 9,752,988, 2017.
- Mazumder, J., and Song, L. , “Smart Additive Manufacturing System (SAMS),” U.S. Patent 9,981,341, 2018.