This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of a Method for the Estimation of Transmissivity of Transparent Surfaces to Exterior Lighting Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The paper derives a practical method for analysing transmission rates for light passing through transparent media like outer lenses of head lamps and tail lamps. It is shown that only two geometric parameters are needed to do the analysis, as are the angle of incidence measured to the surface normal and the surface normal itself. The surface is needed to be described mathematically - whether analytical (CAD) or discretised (FE or CFD), but no thickness is necessary. Two fields of application will be shown. The first one is the estimation of light performance or module position of head lamps in the early design process. A second one addresses the optimal time to doing outdoor weathering tests with respect to maximal impact of solar irradiation
CitationStahlbaum, R., Günther, B., and Kleimeyer, M., "Application of a Method for the Estimation of Transmissivity of Transparent Surfaces to Exterior Lighting Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1197, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1197.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Hecht, E. , Optics Fifth Edition (Addison Wesley, 2015).
- Baehr, H.D. and Stephan, K. , “Wärme- und Stoffübertragung,” . In: 5. Neu Bearbeitete Auflage, (Berlin, Heidelberg, Springer-Verlag, 2006).
- Nou, J., Chauvin, R., Thil, S., and Grieu, S. , “A New Approach to the Real Time Assessment of the Clear-Sky Direct Normal Irradiance,” Applied Mathematical Modelling 40(15.16):7245-7264, 2016.
- Bayer Material Science , “Optical Properties of Makrolon and Apec for Non-Imaging Optics,” Edition 2014-08, Order-No.: MS00060960.
- Bayer AG , “ATI 8043d Makrolon®/Apec® Transparenz und Farbe,” Ausgabe 2001-10, Bestell-Nr.: KU 18517-0110d/6116627.
- Evonik Industries , “Lieferprogramm Formmassen PLEXIGLAS® ⋅ PLEXALLOY® ⋅ PLEXIFIX® ⋅ PLEXIMID® ⋅ CYROLITE®,” 10/0909/06111 (de), September 2009.