This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Failure Prediction and Design Optimization of Exhaust Manifold based on CFD and FEM Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A thermo-mechanical fatigue analysis was conducted based on a coupled Finite Element Analysis (FEA) - Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) method on the crack failure of the exhaust manifold for an inline 4-cylinder turbo-charged diesel engine under the durability test. In the this analysis, the temperature-dependent material properties were obtained from measurements and the model was calibrated with comparison of the predicted exhaust manifold temperatures with the on-engine measurements under the same engine load condition. Temperature and stress/strain distributions in the exhaust manifold were predicted with the calibrated model. Analysis results showed that the cracks took place at locations with high plastic deformations, suggesting that the cause of the failure be thermo-mechanical fatigue (TMF). Using the equivalent plastic strain (PEEQ) as the indicator for thermal mechanical fatigue, three exhaust manifold design revisions were carried out by CAE analysis. And the best one was chosen for prototype. Later tests showed that this new design passed the engine durability test successfully.
CitationLuo, X., Zou, P., Zeng, X., Yuan, X. et al., "Failure Prediction and Design Optimization of Exhaust Manifold based on CFD and FEM Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1166, 2020.
- Li, H.Q., Yang, W.L., Liu, G.Q. et al. , “Thermal Stress Analysis of ICE Exhaust Manifold,” Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering 26(5):81-84, 2005.
- Ji, G.W., Wei, P.Y., and Liu, X. , “Analysis on Thermal Stress of Engine Exhaust Manifold,” Computer Aided Engineering 22(Z2):73-75, 2013.
- Londhe, A. and Yadav, V. , “Thermo-Structural Strength Analysis for Failure Prediction and Concern Resolution of an Exhaust Manifold,” in ABAQUS User Conference, Newport, 2008.
- Grindeanu, I., Choi, K.K., and Chang, K.H. , “Shape Design Optimization of Thermoplastic Structure for Durability,” Journal of Mechanical Design 120(3):491-500, 1998.
- Kazuo, I., Nakada, M., Takahashi, S. et al. , “Evaluation of Thermal Fatigue Life on the Exhaust Manifold by Analyzing Restraint Ratio,” in FISITA World Automotive Congress, Seoul, 2000.
- Mamiya, N., Masuda, T., and Noda, Y. , “Thermal Fatigue Life of Exhaust Manifolds Predicted by Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0854 , 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0854.
- Charkaluk, E., Constantinescu, A., and Thomas, J.J. , “Numerical Approach in Thermomechanical Fatigue,” in Proceedings of International Congress on Fracture (ICF-11), Okinawa, 2005.
- Gocmez, T. and Deuster, U. , “An Integral Engineering Solution for Design of Exhaust Manifolds,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1229 , 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1229.
- Seifert, T., Riedel, H. . “Fatigue Life Prediction of High Temperature Components in Combustion Engines and Exhaust Systems,” in Munich: 4th European Automotive Simulation Conference, July, 2009.
- Zhi, E.L., Xue, N.L., Xian, J.H. et al. , “Numerical Simulation for Exhaust Manifold Based on the Serial Coupling of STAR-CCM+ and ABAQUS,” Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology 6(20):3903-3909, 2013.
- Zieher, F., Langmayr, F. Ennemoser, A. et al. “Advanced Thermal Mechanical Fatigue Life Simulation of Cylinder Heads,” in ABAQUS User Conference, Boston, 2004.
- Manivasagam, S. , “Integrated Simulation Approach for Durable Powertrain Component Development,” Onward Technologies Ltd., 2007.
- Santacreu, P.O., Bucher, L., Koster, A. et al. , “Thermomechanical Figure of Stainless Steels for Automotive Exhaust Systems,” Revue de Métallurgie 103(01):37-42, 2006.
- Zhang, T. , Su, X., Bao, Z., and Zhang, Y. , “Thermal-Stress Simulation and Analysis of Exhaust Manifold,” Machinery Design & Manufacture, 2016, 11(11):171-174.
- Partoaa, A.A., Abdolzadeh, M., and Rezaeizadeh, M. , “Effect of Fin Attachment on Thermal Stress Reduction of Exhaust Manifold of an Off Road Diesel Engine,” J. Cent. South Univ 24:546-559, 2017.
- Qian, Z., Dong, J., Wang, X., Shengkun, L., and Xiangfu, L. , “Exhaust Manifold TMF Analysis,” in SAE-China Congress, Beijing, 2013.
- Zeng, X.C., Luo, X.W., Wei, T., Yan, H. et al. , “Development and Application of Engine Analysis Platform Based on Thermal Equilibrium and Structural Strength,” Computer Aided Engineering 26:29-35, 2017.
- Zeng, X., Luo, X., Wei, T., Yuan, X. et al., “Innovative Research and its Applications Based on Engine Thermal Equilibrium and Structural Strength,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0770 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0770.
- Zeng, X.C., Luo, X.W., Zou, P.P. et al. , “Engine Cylinder Head Thermal Mechanical Fatigue Evaluation Technology and Platform Application,” SAE International Journal of Engines, JENG-2019-0052R1, 2019.
- Luo, X.W., Zeng, X.C., Zou, P.P. et al. , “A Finite Element Analysis-Computational Fluid Dynamics Coupled Analysis on Thermal-Mechanical Fatigue of Cylinder Head of a Turbo-Charged Diesel Engine,” Journal of Automobile Engineering. JAUTO-19-0326.R1, 2019.