This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Droplet Behaviors of DI Gasoline Wall Impinging Spray by Spray Slicer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Owing to the small size of engines and high injection pressures, it is difficult to avoid the fuel spray impingement on the combustion cylinder wall and piston head in Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) engine, which is a possible source of hydrocarbons and soot emission. As a result, the droplets size and distribution are significantly important to evaluate the atomization and predict the impingement behaviors, such as stick, spread or splash. However, the microscopic behaviors of droplets are seldom reported due to the high density of small droplets, especially under high pressure conditions. In order to solve this problem, a “spray slicer” was designed to cut the spray before impingement as a sheet one to observe the droplets clearly. The experiment was performed in a constant volume chamber under non-evaporation condition, and a mini-sac injector with single hole was used. The filtering device should be as less intrusive as possible, so to detect a momentum flux distribution corresponding to the un-disturbed free spray. To fulfill this basic requirement, different slicer thickness (Tslicer) were tested by comparing the droplets behaviors through Particle Image Analysis (PIA) method. The droplet size and velocity distributions were presented and discussed. Results show that the “spray slicer” works better to cut the spray with smaller Tslicer. However, the velocity of the droplet at the tip of the spray decreases sharply with a decrease in Tslicer. When Tslicer = 0.4 mm, the dense region of the spray tip shows clear structure with less overlap droplets and the velocity is almost the same as that of Tslicer = 0.8 mm. Furthermore, the droplets diameter-velocity, velocity and diameter-minimum distance distributions at different locations were analyzed.
- Chao Wang - Dalian University of Technology
- Wuqiang Long - Dalian University of Technology
- Hongliang Luo - Hiroshima University
- Keiya Nishida - Hiroshima University
- Youichi Ogata - Hiroshima University
- Wu Zhang - Mazda Motor Corp.
- Ryosuke Hara - Mazda Motor Corp.
- Tatsuya Fujikawa - Mazda Motor Corp.
CitationLuo, H., Wang, C., Nishida, K., Ogata, Y. et al., "Droplet Behaviors of DI Gasoline Wall Impinging Spray by Spray Slicer," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1152, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1152.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Luo , H. , Uchitomi , S. , Nishida , K. , Ogata , Y. et al. Experimental Investigation on Fuel Film Formation by Spray Impingement on Flat Walls with Different Surface Roughness Atomization and Sprays 27 7 611 628 2017 10.1615/AtomizSpr.2017019706
- Luo , H. , Nishida , K. , Uchitomi , S. , Ogata , Y. et al. Effect of Temperature on Fuel Adhesion under Spray-Wall Impingement Condition Fuel 234 56 65 2018 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.07.021
- Zhao , F. , Lai , M.C. , and Harrington , D.L. Automotive Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25 5 437 562 1999 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-1285(99)00004-0
- Moreira , A.L.N. , Moita , A.S. , and Panao , M.R. Advances and Challenges in Explaining Fuel Spray Impingement: How Much of Single Droplet Impact Research Is Useful? Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 36 5 554 580 2010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2010.01.002
- He , X. , Ratcliff , M.A. , and Zigler , B.T. Effects of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Operating Parameters on Particle Number Emissions Energy & Fuels 26 4 2014 2027 2012 https://doi.org/10.1021/ef201917p
- Tanaka , D. , Uchida , R. , Noda , T. , Kolbeck , A. et al. Effects of Fuel Properties Associated with In-Cylinder Behavior on Particulate Number from a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1002 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1002
- Roque , A. , Foucher , F. , Lamiel , Q. , Imoehl , B. et al. Impact of Gasoline Direct Injection Fuel Films on Exhaust Soot Production in a Model Experiment International Journal of Engine Research 2019 https://doi.org/10.1177/1468087419879851
- Berggren , C. and Thomas , M. Reducing Automotive Emissions - The Potentials of Combustion Engine Technologies and the Power of Policy Energy Policy 41 636 643 2012 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2011.11.025
- Suh , H.K. , Park , S.W. , and Lee , C.S. Effect of Piezo-Driven Injection System on the Macroscopic and Microscopic Atomization Characteristics of Diesel Fuel Spray Fuel 86 17 2833 2845 2007 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2007.03.015
- Zhou , Z.F. , Murad , S.H.M. , Tian , J.M. , Camm , J. et al. Experimental Investigation on Heat Transfer of n-Pentane Spray Impingement on Piston Surface Applied Thermal Engineering 138 197 206 2018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.04.059
- Luo , H. , Nishida , K. , Uchitomi , S. , Ogata , Y. et al. Microscopic Behavior of Spray Droplets under Flat-Wall Impinging Condition Fuel 219 467 476 2018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2018.01.059
- Manin , J. , Bardi , M. , Pickett , L.M. , Dahms , R.N. et al. Microscopic Investigation of the Atomization and Mixing Processes of Diesel Sprays Injected into High Pressure and Temperature Environments Fuel 134 531 543 2014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2014.05.060
- Crua , C. , Heikal , M.R. , and Gold , M.R. Microscopic Imaging of the Initial Stage of Diesel Spray Formation Fuel 157 140 150 2015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.04.041
- Feng , Z. , Zhan , C. , Tang , C. , Yang , K. et al. Experimental Investigation on Spray and Atomization Characteristics of Diesel/Gasoline/Ethanol Blends in High Pressure Common Rail Injection System Energy 112 549 561 2016 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.06.131
- Guo , H. , Ma , X. , Li , Y. , Liang , S. et al. Effect of Flash Boiling on Microscopic and Macroscopic Spray Characteristics in Optical GDI Engine Fuel 190 79 89 2017 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.11.043
- Montanaro , A. , Allocca , L. , Costa , M. , and Sorge , U. Assessment of a 3D CFD model for GDI Spray Impact against Wall through Experiments Based on Different Optical Techniques International Journal of Multiphase Flow 84 204 216 2016 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j. ijmultiphaseflow.2016.05.007
- Allocca , L. , Lazzaro , M. , Meccariello , G. , and Montanaro , A. Schlieren Visualization of a GDI Spray Impacting on a Heated Wall: Non-Vaporizing and Vaporizing Evolutions Energy 108 93 98 2016 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.09.107
- Zhao , L. , Torelli , R. , Zhu , X. , Scarcelli , R. et al. An Experimental and Numerical Study of Diesel Spray Impingement on a Flat Plate SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10 2 407 422 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0854
- Luo , H. , Ogata , Y. , and Nishida , K. Effects of Droplet Behaviors on Fuel Adhesion of Flat Wall Impinging Spray Injected by a DISI Injector SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0034 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0034
- Postrioti , L. , Battistoni , M. , Ungaro , C. , and Mariani , A. Analysis of Diesel Spray Momentum Flux Spatial Distribution SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 720 736 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0682
- Postrioti , L. , Bosi , M. , Mariani , A. , and Ungaro , C. Momentum Flux Spatial Distribution and PDA Analysis of a GDI Spray SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0459 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0459
- Berg , T. , Deppe , J. , Michaelis , D. , Voges , H. et al. Comparison of Particle Size and Velocity Investigations in Sprays Carried Out by Means of Different Measurement Techniques ICLASS’06 Kyoto, Japan 2006
- Kashdan , J.T. , Shrimpton , J.S. , and Whybrew , A. A Digital Image Analysis Technique for Quantitative Characterisation of High-Speed Sprays Opt Laser Eng 45 1 106 115 2007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2006.03.006
- Rioboo , R. , Bauthier , C. , Conti , J. , Voue , M. et al. Experimental Investigation of Splash and Crown Formation during Single Drop Impact on Wetted Surfaces Experiments in Fluids 35 6 648 652 2003 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-003-0719-5
- Krechetnikov , R. and Homsy , G.M. Crown-Forming Instability Phenomena in the Drop Splash Problem Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 331 2 555 559 2009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2008.11.079
- Hiroyasu , H. and Arai , M. Structures of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 900475 1990 https://doi.org/10.4271/900475
- Payri , F. , Desantes , J.M. , and Arregle , J. Characterization of DI Diesel Sprays in High Density Conditions SAE Technical Paper 960774 1996 https://doi.org/10.4271/960774
- Park , S.W. and Lee , C.S. Macroscopic and Microscopic Characteristics of a Fuel Spray Impinged on the Wall Experiments in Fluids 37 5 745 762 2004 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-004-0866-3