This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In Cycle Pre-Ignition Diagnosis and Super-Knock Suppression by Employing Ion Current in a GDI Boosted Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper, a low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) diagnostic strategy is designed based on the ion current signal. Novel diagnostic and re-injection strategies are proposed to suppress super-knock induced by pre-ignition within the detected combustion cycle. A parallel controller system that integrates a regular engine control unit (ECU) and CompactRIO (cRIO) from National Instruments (NI) is employed. Based on this system, the diagnostic and suppression strategy can be implemented without any adaptions to the regular ECU. Experiments are conducted on a 1.5-liter four-cylinder, turbocharged, direct-injected gasoline engine. The experimental results show two kinds of pre-ignition, one occurs spontaneously, and the other is induced by carbon deposits. Carbon deposits on the spark plug can strongly interfere with the ion current signal. By applying the ion current signal, approximately 14.3% of spontaneous and 90% of carbon induced pre-ignition cycles can be detected. Moreover, among detected carbon induced pre-ignition cycles, 91.4% of them can be detected earlier than crank angle at 50% heat release (CA50), providing ample time for super-knock suppression. The results also show that additional fuel injection (re-injection) after the detection of pre-ignition in the current combustion cycle can be used to suppress super-knock. The re-injection timing is a crucial parameter of the suppression strategy. When re-injection is early, super-knock can be suppressed effectively; otherwise, continuous pre-ignition might be induced when re-injection is too late, e.g., later than CA90. Furthermore, the duration of re-injection is also essential because too little fuel has a limited effect on suppression, yet too much fuel will produce more carbon deposits, thereby aggravate pre-ignition in the following cycles. Therefore, fuel re-injection strategy must be carefully calibrated before being used to suppress super-knock.
- Wei Yan - Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Group Corp.
- Tan Jian - Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Group Corp.
- Longhua Chen - Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Group Corp.
- Jinqiu Wang - Tongji University
- Zongjie Hu - Tongji University
- Denghao Zhu - Tongji University
- Weiqi Ding - Tongji University
- Liguang Li - Tongji University
CitationWang, J., Hu, Z., Zhu, D., Ding, W. et al., "In Cycle Pre-Ignition Diagnosis and Super-Knock Suppression by Employing Ion Current in a GDI Boosted Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1148, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1148.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Heywood , J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York McGraw-Hill Education 2018 1377 1378 978-1260116106
- Willand , J. , Daniel , M. , Montefrancesco , E. , Geringer , B. et al. Limits on Downsizing in Spark Ignition Engines due to Pre-Ignition MTZ Worldwide 70 5 56 61 2009 10.1007/BF03226955
- Wang , Z. , Liu , H. , Song , T. , Qi , Y. et al. Relationship Between Super-Knock and Pre-Ignition International Journal of Engine Research 16 2 166 180 2015 10.1177/1468087414530388
- Okada , Y. , Miyashita , S. , Izumi , Y. , and Hayakawa , Y. Study of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine SAE International Journal of Engines 7 2 584 594 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1218
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K.M. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE International Journal of Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Noubari , H.A. and Dumont , G.A. Towards an Improved Knock Detection and Quantification Using Wavelets and Entropy-Based Noise Compensation SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2269 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2269
- Lawton , J. and Weinberg , F. Electrical Aspects of Combustion Oxford Clarendon Press 1969 978-0198553410
- Collings , N. , Dinsdale , S. , and Hands , T. Plug Fouling Investigations on a Running Engine - An Application of a Novel Multi-Purpose Diagnostic System Based on the Spark Plug SAE Transactions 100 4 681 686 1991 https://doi.org/10.4271/912318
- Collings , N. , Dinsdale , S. , and Eade , D. Knock Detection by Means of the Spark Plug SAE Transactions 95 3 969 974 1986 https://doi.org/10.4271/860635
- Ohashi , Y. , Koiwa , M. , Okamura , K. , and Ueda , A. The Application of Ionic Current Detection System for the Combustion Condition Control SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0550 1999 https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0550
- Fan , Q. , Bian , J. , Lu , H. , Tong , S. et al. Misfire Detection and Re-Ignition Control by Ion Current Signal Feedback During Cold Start in Two-Stage Direct-Injection Engines International Journal of Engine research 15 1 37 47 2012 10.1177/1468087412458099
- Chao , Y. , Chen , X. , Deng , J. , Hu , Z. et al. Additional Injection Timing Effects on First Cycle during Gasoline Engine Cold Start Based on Ion Current Detection System Applied Energy 221 55 66 2018 10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.03.056
- Tong , S. , Li , H. , Yang , Z. , Deng , J. et al. Cycle Resolved Combustion and Pre-Ignition Diagnostic Employing Ion Current in a PFI Boosted SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0881 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0881
- Larsson , M. , Denbratt , I. , and Koopmans , L. Ion Current Sensing in an Optical HCCI Engine with Negative Valve Overlap SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0009 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0009
- Dong , G. , Lu , H. , Wu , Z. , Dibble , R. et al. Effect of Electric Fields on the Ion Current Signals in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 37 4 4865 4873 2019 10.1016/j.proci.2018.07.082
- Chen , Y. , Li , L. , Miao , Q. , Cao , Y. et al. Effect of Stratification on Ion Distribution in HCCI Combustion Using 3D-CFD with Detailed Chemistry SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2512 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2512
- Zhu , D. , Chen , Z. , Chao , Y. , Deng , J. et al. Primary Study on the Transient EGR Control of GDI Turbocharged Engine by Ion Sensing Technology IFAC-PapersOnLine 51 31 146 153 2018 10.1016/j.ifacol.2018.10.027
- Liu , Y. , Deng , J. , Hu , Z. , and Li , L. In-Cycle Combustion Feedback Control for Abnormal Combustion Based on Digital Ion Current Signal International Journal of Engine Research 19 2 241 249 2017 10.1177/1468087417731653
- Yoshiyama , S. , Tomita , E. , and Hamamoto , Y. Fundamental Study on Combustion Diagnostics Using a Spark Plug as Ion Probe SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2828 2000 https.//doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2828
- Zahdeh , A. , Rothenberger , P. , Nguyen , W. , Anbarasu , M. et al. Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 246 273 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0340
- Tong , S. , He , X. , Deng , J. et al. Board Boosted Gasoline Engine Pre-ignition Diagnostic Journal of Tongji University (Natural Science) 44 10 1609 1616 2016 10.11908/j.issn.0253-374x.2016.10.020