This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Use of Piezoelectric Washers for Feedback Combustion Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The use of piezoelectric cylinder pressure sensors is very popular during engine testing, but cylinder pressure information is becoming mandatory also in several on-board applications, where Low Temperature Combustion (LTC) approaches require a feedback control of combustion, due to poor combustion stability and the risk of knock or misfire.
Several manufacturers showed the capability to develop solutions for cylinder pressure sensing in on-board automotive and aeronautical applications, and some of them have been patented. The most straight-forward approach seems the application of a piezo-electric washer as a replacement of the original part equipping the spark plug; the injector could also be used to transfer the cylinder pressure information to the piezoelectric quartz, in diesel or Gasoline Direct Injections (GDI) engines.
The paper describes the features of signals acquired using piezoelectric washers, discussing possible applications, highlighting the factors which impact the sensors accuracy, and proposing algorithms to compensate potential errors in the evaluation of combustion metrics. The sensors have been first tested on a press, then in two different gasoline engines: a naturally aspirated V12 and a turbocharged 2 cylinders with Variable Valve Lift system (VVL). Signals have been compared to those obtained with lab-grade cylinder pressure sensors, with particular attention to peak pressure, combustion phase and knock intensity.
The main issue affecting the accuracy of cylinder pressure measurement using the piezoelectric spark plug washer is the effect of temperature variations both on the force transmitted by the thread to the washer and piezoelectricity properties.
CitationCorti, E., Abbondanza, M., Ponti, F., and Raggini, L., "The Use of Piezoelectric Washers for Feedback Combustion Control," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1146, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1146.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Auld, A., Ward, A., Mustafa, K., and Hansen, B. , “Assessment of Light Duty Diesel After-Treatment Technology Targeting Beyond Euro 6d Emissions Levels,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(4):1795-1807, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0978.
- Hooftman, N., Messagie, M., Van Mierlo, J., and Coosemans, T. , “A Review of the European Passenger Car Regulations - Real Driving Emissions vs Local Air Quality,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 86:1-21, April 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.01.012.
- Maurya, R.K. , Characteristics and Control of Low-Temperature Combustion Engines, Springer International Publishing, 2018, ISBN:978-3-319-68507-6, http://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-68508-3.
- Sellnau, M., Foster, M., Moore, W., Sinnamon, J. et al. , “Second Generation GDCI Multi-Cylinder Engine for High Fuel Efficiency and US Tier 3 Emissions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):1002-1020, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0760.
- Pohlkamp, K. and Reitz, R. , “Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) in a SingleCylinder Air-Cooled HSDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0074, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-32-0074.
- Patent: NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd (2003), EP 1 338 879 B1. 01998804.7.
- Patent: NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd., Nagoya, Japan (2019). EP 1 338 879 B1. 4686861.
- Patent: Cessna Aircraft Company Wichita Kansas 67201, USA (1996), EP 0 715 160 B1.
- Patent: Nissan Motor Co., Ltd, Yokohama, Japan (1986), US Patent 4,566,316.
- Patent: NGK Spark Plug, Ltd, Nagoya, Japan (1987), US Patent 4,686,861.
- Ponti, F., Ravaglioli, V., Corti, E., Moro, D. et al. , “Development of a Novel Approach for Non-Intrusive Closed-Loop Heat Release Estimation in Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0314, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0314.
- De Cesare, M., Ravaglioli, V., Carra, F., and Stola, F. , “Review of Combustion Indexes Remote Sensing Applied to Different Combustion Types,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1132, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1132.
- Ponti, F. , “Indicated Torque Estimation Using a Torsional Behavior Model of the Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3761, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3761.
- Moro, D., Cavina, N., and Ponti, F. , “In-Cylinder Pressure Reconstruction Based on Instantaneous Engine Speed Signal,” ASME. J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 124(1):220-225, January 2002, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1391430.
- Cavina, N., Sgatti, S., Cavanna, F., and Bisanti, G. , “Combustion Monitoring Based on Engine Acoustic Emission Signal Processing,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1024, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1024.
- Chiavola, O., Chiatti, G., and Recco, E. , “Analysis of the Relationship between Noise Emission and In-Cylinder Pressure in a Small Displacement Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1364, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1364.
- Romani, L., Lenzi, G., Ferrari, L., and Ferrara, G. , “Indirect Estimation of In-Cylinder Pressure through the Stress Analysis of an Engine Stud,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0814, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0814.
- Romani, L., Bianchini, A., Vichi, G., Bellissima, A., and Ferrara, G. , “Experimental Assessment of a Methodology for the Indirect in-Cylinder Pressure Evaluation in Four-Stroke Internal Combustion Engines,” Energies 2018:11, 1982.
- Shimasaki, Y., Kobayashi, M., Sakamoto, H., Ueno, M. et al. , “Study on Engine Management System Using In-cylinder Pressure Sensor Integrated with Spark Plug,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0519, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0519.
- Sawamoto, K., Kawamura, Y., Kita, T., and Matsushita, K. , “Individual Cylinder Knock Control by Detecting Cylinder Pressure,” SAE Technical Paper 871911, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871911.
- Morris, J. , “Intra-Cylinder Combustion Pressure Sensing,” SAE Technical Paper 870816, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870816.
- Yamamoto, Y., Akazaki, S., Ohara, M., and Mizuno, T. , “Development of Cylinder Pressure Measurement System Using Adaptive Calculation,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1009, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1009.
- Andrie, M. , “Non-Intrusive Low Cost Cylinder Pressure Transducer for Internal Combustion Engine Monitoring and Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0245, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0245.
- Sellnau, M., Matekunas, F., Battiston, P., Chang, C. et al. , “Cylinder-Pressure-Based Engine Control Using Pressure-Ratio-Management and Low-Cost Non-Intrusive Cylinder Pressure Sensors,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0932, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0932.
- Tsugai, M., Bessho, M., Araki, T., Onishi, M. et al. , “Piezoresistive Acceleration Sensor for Automotive Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 920476, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920476.
- Haas, M. , “UniAir - The First Fully-Variable, Electro-Hydraulic Valve Control System,” in Schaeffler Symposium, 2010, file:///C:/Users/enrico.corti2/Desktop/Schaeffler_Kolloquium_2010_18_en.pdf.
- Cavina, N., Rojo, N., Businaro, A., and Cevolani, R. , “Comparison between Pressure- and Ion-Current-Based Closed-Loop Combustion Control Performance,” SAE Int. J. Engines 12(2):219-230, 2019, https://doi-org.ezproxy.unibo.it/10.4271/03-12-02-0016.
- Grinstead, C.M. and Snell, J.L. , Introduction to Probability (American Mathematical Society, 1997), ISBN:0-8218-0749-8.
- Ravaglioli, V. and Bussi, C. , “Model-Based Pre-Ignition Diagnostics in a Race Car Application,” Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal 12(12):1-12, June 2019.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (McGraw Hill Professionals, 2018), ISBN:1260116115.
- Fanelli, I., Camporeale, S., and Fortunato, B. , “Efficient On-Board Pegging Calculation from Piezo-Electric Sensor Signal for Real Time In-Cylinder Pressure Offset Compensation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2):672-682, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0901.
- Fukuoka, T. , Threaded Fasteners for Engineers and Design - Solid Mechanics and Numerical Analysis (Corona Publishing Co Ltd, 2015).