This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flexible Anti-Vibration Stability Cab Mount System for Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Present day truck cab suspension comprises fully floating linkage type cab suspension to facilitate ride comfort. Fully floating cab has certain limitations in terms of stability of cab in dynamic articulations during vehicle running especially in off-road terrain applications. Presence on linkages leads to more wear and tear of joints and bushes which will in turn provide detrimental effect on vibration levels of cab that affects ride comfort for occupants. There is a dire need to develop a system that provides improvement in lateral and vertical stability of cab without compromising ride comfort of occupants. Durability of the product also to be met till life of vehicle.
Anti-Vibration Stability Cab Mount is an unsymmetrical mount designed by compounding of elastomeric(rubber) metal bonded outer sleeves sandwiched between multistage inner mount bonded on aluminum casing. Cabin front supports are hinged to mount along with housing providing proper alignment to cab after assembly. This mount is assembled under pre-compression to felicitate sufficient stiffness in roll, pitch and yaw motions of cab during dynamic motions. Polymer inserts and side washers are provided for better wear resistance and noise reduction of mount. Certain advantages observed are: articulation reduction by 65%, improvement in cab stability in vertical and lateral directions; ease of maintenance by less number of parts and simple system; noiseless & maintenance free system; light weight by 30kgs as compared to conventional fully floating system; better handling & Ride comfort improvement due to less un-sprung cab suspension mass. The system is then manufactured and tested and results are observed with significant improvement in ride comfort characteristics as per ISO 2631-1.
CitationAchanta, K., Sharma, B., Bhanja, S., and Behera, N., "Flexible Anti-Vibration Stability Cab Mount System for Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1087, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- “Mechanical Vibration and Shock - Evaluation of Human Exposure to Whole-Body Vibration - Part 1: General Requirements.”
- SAE J1060 , “Subjective Rating Scale for Evaluation of Noise and Ride Comfort Characteristics.”
- Soliman, A. , “Improvement of the Truck Ride Comfort Via Cab Suspension,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1148, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1148.
- Wong, J.Y. , “Theory of Ground Vehicles.”
- Gillespie, T.D. , “Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics.”
- Sindgikar, P., Jadhav, N., and Gopalakrishna, K. , “Design of Cabin Suspension Characteristics of Heavy Commercial Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0265, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0265.