This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Laminated Steels for Stamped Bumpers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Light-weight solutions for stamped steel components that exhibit the same or similar appearance properties for purposes of authentic feel and perception to customers will play a critical role as the progress towards reaching maximum fuel efficiency for large vehicles continues. This paper outlines the potential uses for laminated steel in large stamped steel bumper applications that would normally be stamped with thick sheet metal in order to meet vehicle level functional objectives. The paper presents the investigation of the one-for-one drop-in capabilities of the laminate steel material to existing stamping dies, special processing considerations while manufacturing, vehicle level performance comparisons, and class “A” coating options and process needs. Most of all, it will highlight the significant vehicle weight saving benefits and opportunities as compared to current production stamped steel bumpers.
CitationHerz, E., Putti, J., and Murphy, M., "Application of Laminated Steels for Stamped Bumpers," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1055, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1055.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Heenan, B. , “Automotive Steel: Designed Beyond the Life of a Car,” SAE Technical Paper 971196, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971196.
- Zhao, Z., Hsiung, C., and Xiao, X. , “Forming Simulation and Validation of Laminated Steel Panels,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1675, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1675.
- Uikey, D., Evans, D., and Vasudevan, R. , “Bumper System Development to Improve Compatibility per Proposed IIHS Bumper Barrier Criteria,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1660, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1660.
- SAE International Ground Vehicle Standard , “Standardized Dent Resistance Test Procedure,” 2004-06-07 SAE Standard J2575_200406, https://doi.org/10.4271/J2575_200406.
- SAE International Ground Vehicle Standard , “Test for Chip Resistance of Surface Coatings,” 2012-10-23 SAE Standard J400_201210, https://doi.org/10.4271/J400_201210.