This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dualhybrid - Proof of a Concept for an HEV with Two Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Due to the prevalent fuel economy, research on electric hybrid vehicles (HEVs) has attracted recently widespread attention. However, most researches were focused on electrification, neglecting the crucial role of internal combustion engines (ICEs) in reducing fuel consumption. Holding the opinion that ICEs can contribute more in developing fuel economic vehicles, we present in this paper a new HEV topology with two ICEs - Dualhybrid. Two separate traction units, conventional drivetrain with ICE1at front axle and electric hybrid drivetrain with ICE2+battery at rear axle constitute the powertrain of this new HEV concept.
One dimensional simulation with sub-models built upon different modelling methods is implemented. Energy management of Dualhybrid is identified with a rule-based control strategy. Base and Fullhybrid model were built as references and a comparative simulation among the three models was conducted. On the basis of the simulation results, an analysis of the efficiency of the powertrains was performed in detail. Results show that Dualhybrid equipped with two ICEs is more fuel economic compared to the reference models and has proven to be an effective HEV concept.
CitationZhang, H., Blesinger, G., Toedter, O., and Koch, T., "Dualhybrid - Proof of a Concept for an HEV with Two Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1019, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Kaup , C. , Hoffmann , S. , Unterberger , B. et al. 48-V-Dieselhybrid Fahrspaß bei reduziertem Verbrauch MTZ-Motortechnische Zeitschrift 77 3 18 23 2016
- Zeng , L. and Zhao , Z. An Optimized Energy Management Strategy of 48V Mild Hybrid Electrical Vehicle to Reduce Fuel Consumption DEStech Transactions on Materials Science and Engineering 2016
- Bao , R. , Avila , V. , and Baxter , J. Effect of 48 V Mild Hybrid System Layout on Powertrain System Efficiency and Its Potential of Fuel Economy Improvement SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1175 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1175
- Brian , M.
- Rick , A. and Sisk , B. A Simulation Based Analysis of 12V and 48V Microhybrid Systems Across Vehicle Segments and Drive Cycles SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1151 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1151
- Auto Motor Sport https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de 2010
- Grebe , U.D. and Nitz , L.T. Voltec-Das Antriebssystem für Chevrolet Volt und Opel Ampera MTZ-Motortechnische Zeitschrift 72 5 342 351 2011
- Hampshire , K. , German , R. , Pridmore , A. et al. Electric Vehicles from Life Cycle and Circular Economy Perspectives Version 2 25 2018
- Garcia , R. and Freire , F. A Review of Fleet-Based Life-Cycle Approaches Focusing on Energy and Environmental Impacts of Vehicles Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 79 935 945 2017
- Marshall , B.M. , Kelly , J.C. , Lee , T.K. et al. Environmental Assessment of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles Using Naturalistic Drive Cycles and Vehicle Travel Patterns: A Michigan Case Study Energy Policy 58 358 370 2013
- Montgomery , L.N. 1983
- Moore , T.S. 2001
- Pulkrabek , W.W. 2004
- Miklanek , L. , Vitek , O. , Gotfryd , O. , and Klir , V. Study of Unconventional Cycles (Atkinson and Miller) with Mixture Heating as a Means for the Fuel Economy Improvement of a Throttled SI Engine at Part Load SAE Int. J. Engines 5 4 1624 1636 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1678
- Ohler , S. 2014
- Graf , P. 2015
- Castagné , M. , Bentolila , Y. , Chaudoye , F. et al. Comparison of Engine Calibration Methods Based on Design of Experiments (DOE) Oil & Gas Science and Technology-Revue de l’IFP 63 4 563 582 2008
- Acharya , N. , Acharya , S. , Panda , S. et al. An Artificial Neural Network Model for a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Mahua Biodiesel Computational Intelligence in Data Mining Singapore Springer 2017 193 201
- Jander , B. and Baar , R. Modeling Thermal Engine Behavior Using Artificial Neural Network SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0534 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0534
- Samarasinghe , S. Neural Networks for Applied Sciences and Engineering: From Fundamentals to Complex Pattern Recognition Auerbach Publications 2016
- Mustafa , R. , Schulze , M. , Eilts , P. , and Küçükay , F. Intelligent Energy Management Strategy for a Parallel Hybrid Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1909 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1909
- Srinivas , M. and Patnaik , L.M. Adaptive Probabilities of Crossover and Mutation in Genetic Algorithms IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 24 4 656 667 1994
- Jeong , I.K. and Lee , J.J. Adaptive Simulated Annealing Genetic Algorithm for System Identification Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence 9 5 523 532 1996
- Klöffer , C. 2015
- Gemassmer , T. Effiziente und dynamische Drehmomenteinprägung in hoch ausgenutzten Synchronmaschinen mit eingebetteten Magneten KIT Scientific Publishing 2015
- Ehsani , M. , Gao , Y. , Longo , S. et al. Modern Electric, Hybrid Electric, and Fuel Cell Vehicles CRC Press 2018