This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Improvement of an Asymmetric Twin Scroll Turbocharger Turbine through Secondary Flow Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A powerful and efficient turbocharger turbine benefits the engine in many aspects, such as better transient response, lower NOx emissions and better fuel economy. The turbine performance can be further improved by employing secondary flow injection through an injector over the shroud section. A secondary flow injection system can be integrated with a conventional turbine without affecting its original design parameters, including the rotor, volute, and back disk.
In this study, a secondary flow injection system has been developed to fit for an asymmetric twin-scroll turbocharger turbine, which was designed for a 6-cylinder heavy-duty diesel engine, aiming at improving the vehicle’s performance at 1100 rpm under full-loading conditions. The shape of the flow injector is similar to a single-entry volute but can produce the flow angle in both circumferential and meridional directions when the flow leaves the injector and enters the shroud cavity. The preliminary design consists of ten design parameters, which is able to control circumferential area distributions, exit flow angles, and flow velocities. To investigate the availability of the injection system, a DOE study has been conducted with the creation of 200 different design candidates that cover the entire design space. Each design candidate is evaluated under ten different turbine operating points, which were picked from the engine exhaust pulse at 90 krpm, covering both equal and unequal admission conditions. To evaluate the turbine performance, a full-rotor steady-state simulation has been conducted using the commercial CFD solver ANSYS-CFX 19.2.
This study found the injection system does not influence the original turbine matching during the idle operation (zero injection flow). Within the current DOE set-up, the mean turbine torque can be increased by 24.22%, but the improvement of energy-weighted mean turbine efficiency is limited because of the extra cost by introducing additional flow resources. The secondary flow injection system can be regarded as a novel turbocompounding technology, which can be used to increase the engine torque whenever needed. The current study reveals the availability of the novel system and provides a framework for further optimizations.
- Zheng Liu - Nanyang Technological University
- Alessandro Romagnoli - Nanyang Technological University
- Torsten Palenschat - Daimler AG
- Meng Soon Chiong - Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Srithar Rajoo - Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Muhamad H. Padzillah - Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Aman Mamat - Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Markus Kraft - University of Cambridge
CitationLiu, Z., Romagnoli, A., Palenschat, T., Chiong, M. et al., "Performance Improvement of an Asymmetric Twin Scroll Turbocharger Turbine through Secondary Flow Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1011, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1011.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Fajardo, P. , “Methodology for the Numerical Characterization of a Radial Turbine under Steady and Pulsating Flow,” Ph.D. dissertation, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia Valencia, Spain, 2012.
- Meghnine, M.A., Hamidou, M.K., and Hamel, M. , “Influence of the Volute Cross-Sectional Shape on Mixed Inflow Turbine Performances,” Advances in Mechanical Engineering 9(7):1687814017708174, 2017.
- Yang, M., Martinez-Botas, R., Rajoo, S., Yokoyama, T. et al. , “An Investigation of Volute Cross-Sectional Shape on Turbocharger Turbine under Pulsating Conditions in Internal Combustion Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 105:167-177, 2015.
- Lee, S., Barrans, S., Jupp, M., and Nickson, A. , “The Impact of Volute Aspect Ratio on the Performance of a Mixed Flow Turbine,” Aerospace 4(4):56, 2017.
- Suhrmann, J.F., Peitsch, D., Gugau, M., and Heuer, T. , “On the Effect of Volute Tongue Design on Radial Turbine Performance,” in ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection, 2012, 891-901.
- Gu, F., Engeda, A., and Benisek, E. , “A Comparative Study of Incompressible and Compressible Design Approaches of Radial Inflow Turbine Volutes,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 215(4):475-486, 2001.
- Khairuddin, U., Costall, A.W., and Martinez-Botas, R.F. , “Influence of Geometrical Parameters on Aerodynamic Optimization of a Mixed-Flow Turbocharger Turbine,” in ASME Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2015, V02CT42A002-V02CT42A002.
- Zhang, J., Zangeneh, M., and Eynon, P. , “A 3D Inverse Design Based Multidisciplinary Optimization on the Radial and Mixed-Inflow Turbines for Turbochargers,” in 11th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, London, 2014, 399-410.
- Benner, M., Sjolander, S., and Moustapha, S. , “The Influence of Leading-Edge Geometry on Secondary Losses in a Turbine Cascade at the Design Incidence,” Journal of Turbomachinery 126(2):277-287, 2004.
- Zhang, W., Zou, Z., and Ye, J. , “Leading-Edge Redesign of a Turbomachinery Blade and Its Effect on Aerodynamic Performance,” Applied Energy 93:655-667, 2012.
- Gad-el Hak, M. , Flow Control: Passive, Active, and Reactive Flow Management (Cambridge University Press, 2007).
- Hunziker, R., Dickmann, H.-P., and Emmrich, R. , “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of a Centrifugal Compressor with an Inducer Casing Bleed System,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 215(6):783-791, 2001.
- Gao, J., Zheng, Q., Dong, P., and Zha, X. , “Control of Tip Leakage Vortex Breakdown by Tip Injection in Unshrouded Turbines,” Journal of Propulsion and Power 30(6):1510-1519, 2014.
- Rao, N.M. and Camci, C. , “Axial Turbine Tip Desensitization by Injection from a Tip Trench: Part 1 - Effect of Injection Mass Flow Rate,” in ASME Turbo Expo 2004: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2004, 1075-1088.
- Dey, D. and Camci, C. , “Development of Tip Clearance Flow Downstream of a Rotor Blade with Coolant Injection from a Tip Trench,” in Proceedings of the 8th ISROMAC Conference, 2000, 572-579.
- Mischo, B., Burdet, A., Behr, T., and Abhari, R.S. , “Reduction of Rotor Tip Leakage through Cooling Injection from Casing in a High-Work Turbine: Computational Investigation Using a Feature-Based Jet Model,” in ASME Turbo Expo 2007: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection, 2007, 1343-1355.
- Behr, T., Kalfas, A.I., and Abhari, R.S. , “Control of Rotor Tip Leakage through Cooling Injection from the Casing in a High-Work Turbine,” Journal of Turbomachinery 130(3):031014, 2008.
- Liu, H., Romagnoli, A., Martinez-Botas, R., Rajoo, S. et al. , “Multi-Injection Turbine Housing: A Novel Concept for Tip-Leakage Improvement in Radial Turbines,” in ASME Turbo Expo 2017: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection, 2017.
- Streule, T., Sumser, S., Hertweck, G., Nolte, A. et al. , “The Asymmetric Twin Scroll Turbine for Exhaust Gas Turbochargers,” in ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection, 2008, 1547-1554.
- Brinkert, N., Sumser, S., Weber, S., Fieweger, K. et al. , “Understanding the Twin Scroll Turbine: Flow Similarity,” Journal of Turbomachinery 135(2):021039, 2013.
- Palenschat, T., Newton, P., Martinez-Botas, R.F., Müller, M. et al. , “3-D Computational Loss Analysis of an Asymmetric Volute Twin-Scroll Turbocharger,” in ASME Turbo Expo 2017: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection, 2017.
- Palenschat, T., Mueller, M., Rajoo, S., Chiong, M.S. et al. , “Steady-State Experimental and Meanline Study of an Asymmetric Twin-Scroll Turbine at Full and Unequal and Partial Admission Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0971, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0971.
- Copeland, C.D., Martinez-Botas, R., and Seiler, M. , “Unsteady Performance of a Double Entry Turbocharger Turbine with a Comparison to Steady Flow Conditions,” Journal of Turbomachinery 134(2):021022, 2012.
- Liu, Z. and Copeland, C. , “New Method for Mapping Radial Turbines Exposed to Pulsating Flows,” Energy 162:1205-1222, 2018.
- Copeland, C., Newton, P., Martinez-Botas, R., and Seiler, M. , “A Comparison of Pulsed Flow Timescales within a Turbine Stage,” in 10th IMECHE International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, University of Bath, 2012.
- Cao, T., Xu, L., Yang, M., and Martinez-Botas, R.F. , “Radial Turbine Rotor Response to Pulsating Inlet Flows,” Journal of Turbomachinery 136(7):071003, 2014.
- Pesiridis, A., Lioutas, S., and Martinez-Botas, R.F. , “Integration of Unsteady Effects in the Turbocharger Design Process,” in ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2012, 721-733.
- Szymko, S., Martinez-Botas, R., and Pullen, K. , “Experimental Evaluation of Turbocharger Turbine Performance under Pulsating Flow Conditions,” in ASME Turbo Expo 2005: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2005, 1447-1457.
- Hanjalic, I.K., Nagano, Y., and Tummers, M. , “Ten Years of Experience with the SST Turbulence Model,” in Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 4, pp. 625-632, 2003.
- Newton, P. , “An Experimental and Computational Study of Pulsating Flow within a Double Entry Turbine with Different Nozzle Settings,” Ph.D. dissertation, Imperial College London, 2014.
- Campolongo, F., Cariboni, J., and Saltelli, A. , “An Effective Screening Design for Sensitivity Analysis of Large Models,” Environmental Modelling & Software 22(10):1509-1518, 2007.
- Pianosi, F., Sarrazin, F., and Wagener, T. , “A Matlab Toolbox for Global Sensitivity Analysis,” Environmental Modelling & Software 70:80-85, 2015.
- Krige, D.G. , “A Statistical Approach to Some Basic Mine Valuation Problems on the Witwatersrand,” Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy 52(6):119-139, 1951.
- Lophaven, S.N., Nielsen, H.B., and Søndergaard, J. , “Dace-A Matlab Kriging Toolbox,” Version 2.0, 2002.