This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Steering Behavior of an Articulated Amphibious All-Terrain Tracked Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a study related to an Articulated Amphibious All-Terrain Tracked Vehicle (ATV) characterized by a modular architecture. The ATV is composed by two modules: the first one hosts mainly the vehicle engine and powertrain components, meanwhile the second one can be used for goods transportation, personnel carrier, crane and so on. The engine torque is transmitted to the front axle sprocket wheel of each module and finally distributed on the ground through a track mechanism. The two modules are connected through a multiaxial joint designed to guarantee four relative degrees of freedom. To steer the ATV, an Electro Hydraulic Power System (EHPS) is adopted, thus letting the vehicle steerable on any kind of terrain without a differential tracks speed. The paper aims to analyze the steady-state lateral behavior of the ATV on a flat road, through a non-linear mathematical vehicle model built in Matlab/Simulink environment. The model describes the vehicle main planar motion and the interaction between the two modules through the application of a hydraulic steering torque. The model simulates steady-state handling maneuvers in Matlab/Simulink. Two scenarios are considered: one with the application of an open-loop hydraulic steering torque without any vehicle feedback; the second one with a closed-loop steering torque actuation based on the relative angle between the two modules (hitch angle). Finally, the influence of the ATV longitudinal speed on vehicle lateral characteristics is also presented.
CitationTota, A., Velardocchia, M., Rota, E., and Novara, A., "Steering Behavior of an Articulated Amphibious All-Terrain Tracked Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0996, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0996.
- Wong , J.Y. Terramechanics and Off-Road Vehicle Engineering: Terrain Behaviour, Off-Road Vehicle Performance and Design Butterworth-Heinemann 2009
- Muro , T. and O’Brien , J. Terramechanics: Land Locomotion Mechanics CRC Press 2004
- Bekker , M.G. Theory of Land Locomotion 1956
- Maclaurin , B. A Skid Steering Model with Track Pad Flexibility Journal of Terramechanics 44 1 95 110 2007
- Maclaurin , B. J Terramech
- Guo , T. and Peng , H. A Simplified Skid-Steering Model for Torque and Power Analysis of Tracked Small Unmanned Ground Vehicles 2013 American Control Conference 2013
- Maclaurin , B. Comparing the Steering Performances of Skid-and Ackermann-Steered Vehicles Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 222 5 739 756 2008
- Hohl , G.H. Military Terrain Vehicles Journal of Terramechanics 44 1 23 34 2007
- Maclaurin , E.B. and Crolla , D.A. Wheel Spin Control for On/Off Road Vehicles Traction Control and Anti Wheel Spin Systems for Road Vehicles, International Conference London, UK 1988
- Horton , D.N.L. and Crolla , D.A. Theoretical Analysis of the Steering Behaviour of Articulated Frame Steer Vehicles Vehicle System Dynamics 15 4 211 234 1986
- Pazooki , A. , Rakheja , S. , and Cao , D. Kineto-Dynamic Directional Response Analysis of an Articulated Frame Steer Vehicle International Journal of Vehicle Design 65 1 1 30 2014
- Gao , Y. et al. Oscillatory Yaw Motion Control for Hydraulic Power Steering Articulated Vehicles Considering the Influence of Varying Bulk Modulus IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 27 3 1284 1292 2018
- He , Y. et al. Dynamic Modelling and Stability Analysis of Articulated Frame Steer Vehicles International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems 12 1 28 59 2005
- Venturini , S. and Bonisoli , E. Design of a Spherical Pendulum Didactic Test Rig International Journal of Mechanics and Control 19 1 69 76 2018
- Liu , Y. and Liu , G. Modeling of Tracked Mobile Manipulators with Consideration of Track-Terrain and Vehicle-Manipulator Interactions Robotics and Autonomous Systems 57 11 1065 1074 2009
- Galvagno , E. , Rondinelli , E. , and Velardocchia , M. Electro-Mechanical Transmission Modelling for Series-Hybrid Tracked Tanks International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems 19 3 256 280 2012
- Morgando , A. , Velardocchia , M. , Vigliani , A. , Van Leeuwen , B.G. et al. An Alternative Approach to A ESC Based on Measured Wheel Forces Vehicle System Dynamics 49 12 1855 1871 2011