This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Design and Optimization Method for Pedestrian Lower Extremity Injury Analysis with the aPLI Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As pedestrian protection tests and evaluations have been officially incorporated into new C-NCAP, more stringent requirements have been placed on pedestrian protection performance. In this study, in order to reduce the injury of the vehicle front end structure to the pedestrian's lower extremity during the collision, the advanced pedestrian legform impactor (aPLI) model was used in conjunction with the finite element vehicle model for collision simulation based on the new C-NCAP legform test evaluation regulation. This paper selected the key components which have significant influences on the pedestrian's leg protection performance based on the CAE vehicle model, including front bumper, front-cover plate, upper impact pillar, impact beam and lower support plate, to form a simplified model and conducted parametric modeling based on it. Then, the variable correlation analysis was carried out on the sample results obtained from the design of experiment (DOE), and the contribution analysis of design variables to the injury measures was discussed. The sample variables and responses were also used to construct the approximate models for further optimization studies. Taking the pedestrian lower extremity injuries as the optimization target, the front end structural parameters were matched and optimized. Finally, an optimal configuration for parameter matching of key components of the front end structure for pedestrian protection was established, which effectively improve the protection of pedestrian lower extremity.
- Yue Fu - Chongqing Univ.; State Key Lab. of Vehicle NVH & Safety Tech
- Huijie Xu - Chongqing University
- Guan Lin - Chongqing University
- Zhenfei Zhan - Chongqing Univ.; State Key Lab. of Vehicle NVH & Safety Tech
- Ping Wang - Chongqing University
- Ruyi Chen - Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Huili Yu - State Key Lab of Veh NVH & Safety Tech
CitationFu, Y., Xu, H., Lin, G., Zhan, Z. et al., "A Design and Optimization Method for Pedestrian Lower Extremity Injury Analysis with the aPLI Model," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0929, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0929.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- World Health Organization, Global Status Report on Road Safety 2015 (Switzerland: Geneva, 2015).
- Traffic Management Bureau of the Public Security Ministry, Statistics of Road Traffic Accidents in PR of China (2014) (Beijing: China Communication Press, 2015).
- Yue, G., Han, F., Li, X., Ma, L. et al. , “Design of Front End Energy Absorbing Structure for SUV Models for Pedestrian Leg Protection,” Journal of Automotive Safety and Energy 01(4):307-321, 2010, doi:10.3969/j.issn.1676-8484.2010.04.009.
- Mo, F., Jiang, X., Duan, S., Zhi, X. et al. , “Parametric Analysis of Occupant Ankle and Tibia Injuries in Frontal Impact,” PLoS One 12(9):1-10, 2017, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0184521.
- C-NCAP Management Center. “C-NCAP Management Rules Manuscript (2021 Edition),” Tianjin: China Automotive Technology and Research Center, 2019.
- Isshiki, T., Antona-Makoshi, J., Konosu, A., and Takahashi, Y. , “Simplifying the Structural Design of the Advanced Pedestrian Legform Impactor for Use in Standardized Testing,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1049, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1049.
- Ashton, S. , “A Preliminary Assessment of the Potential for Pedestrian Injury Reduction Through Vehicle Design,” SAE Technical Paper 801315, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/801315.
- Harris, J. , “Safer Cars for the Pedestrian,” in I Mech E Conference Publications (Institution of Mechanical Engineers), 15-21, 1980, doi:10.1016/0020-7403(80)90061-2.
- Ashton, S. and Mackay, G. , “Benefits from Changes in Vehicle Exterior Design - Field Accident and Experimental Work in Europe,” SAE Technical Paper 830626, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830626.
- Liu, B., Zhan, Z., Zhao, X., Chen, H. et al. , “A Research on the Body-in-White (BIW) Weight Reduction at the Conceptual Design Phase,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0743, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0743.
- Zhan, Z., Fu, Y., Yang, R.J., and Peng, Y. , “An Automatic Model Calibration Method for Occupant Restraint Systems,” Structural & Multidisciplinary Optimization 44(6):815-822, 2011, doi:10.1007/s00158-011-0671-6.
- Lv, X., Huang, X., Gu, X., Liu, W. et al. , “Reliability-Based Multiobjective Optimisation of Vehicle Bumper Structure Holes for the Pedestrian Flexible Legform Impact,” International Journal of Crashworthiness 21(3):198-210, 2016, doi:10.1080/13588265.2016.1155527.
- Harris, J. , “Proposals for Test Methods to Evaluate Pedestrian Protection for Cars,” in Thirteenth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, 1993.
- Li, G., Yang, J., and Simms, C. , “The Influence of Gait Stance on Pedestrian Lower Limb Injury Risk,” Accident Analysis & Prevention 85:83-92, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.aap.2015.07.012.
- Wang, B., Wang, F., Otte, D., Han, Y. et al. , “Effects of Passenger Car Front Profile and Human Factors on Pedestrian Lower Extremity Injury Risk Using German In-Depth Accident Data,” International Journal of Crashworthiness 24(2):163-170, 2018, doi:10.1080/13588265.2017.1422375.
- Isshiki, T., Antona-Makoshi, J., Konosu, A., and Takahashi, Y. , “Optimal Specifications for the Advanced Pedestrian Legform Impactor,” Stapp car crash journal 61:373-395, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-22-0014.
- Isshiki, T., Antona-Makoshi, J., Konosu, A., and Takahashi, Y. , “Consolidated Technical Specifications for the Advanced Pedestrian Legform Impactor (aPLI),” in IRCOBI Conference, Athens, Greece, 2018.
- Peter, S. and David, B. , “ATD-aPLI-D00.17 Beta Version User Manual,” Jun. 2019.
- Zhan, Z., Fu, Y., and Yang, R. , “Enhanced Error Assessment of Response Time Histories (EEARTH) Metric and Calibration Process,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0245, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0245.
- Markatou, M., Tian, H., Biswas, S., and Hripcsak, G. , “Analysis of Variance of Cross-Validation Estimators of the Generalization Error,” Journal of Machine Learning Research 6(1):1127-1168, 2005, doi:10.1007/s10844-005-0864-9.
- Gelman, A., Goodrich, B., Gabry, J., and Vehtari, A. , “R-Squared for Bayesian Regression Models,” The American Statistician 73(3):307-309, 2018, doi:10.1080/00031305.2018.1549100.
- Cressie, N. , “Statistics for Spatial Data,” Terra Nova 4, 1992, doi:10.1111/j.1365-3121.1992.tb00605.x.
- Venkatesh, V. and Gopal, S. , “Expectation Disconfirmation and Technology Adoption: Polynomial Modeling and Response Surface Analysis,” MIS Quarterly 34(2):281-303, 2010, doi:10.2307/20721428.
- Dyn, N., Levin, D., and Rippa, S. , “Numerical Procedures for Surface Fitting of Scattered Data by Radial Functions,” SIAM Journal on Scientific and Statistical Computing 7(2):639-659, 1986, doi:10.1137/0907043.