This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hybrid Optimization Methodology for Flexplate of Automatic Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For Automatic transmission application, crankshaft torque is transferred to torque converter through flex plate. As the flex plate has no functional requirement of storing energy as in case of Manual Transmission (MT) flywheel, flex plate design can be optimized to great extent. Flex plate structure must have compliance to allow the axial deformation of torque convertor due to ballooning pressure generated inside the converter. Flex plate experiences dynamic torque and centrifugal forces due to high rotational speed. It should have compliance to accommodate the assembly misalignments with torque convertor in both axial and radial directions. In this paper, sequential and hybrid optimization techniques are described to optimize the flex plate design with stress, stiffness and mass as design constraints. The load path, corrugation length and axial stiffness of flex plate captured accurately using this hybrid optimization. The variation of shape, size, orientation and number of holes are based on the load path and axial stiffness of flex plate. The results show that 35 % of weight reduction is achieved with original design and it meets all design requirements in product development.
CitationGandhi, V., Yadav, V., K, K., and Bidre, A., "Hybrid Optimization Methodology for Flexplate of Automatic Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0916, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0916.
- Zhang, D.K. et al. , “The Layout Optimization for Axial Stiffness of a Flexplate Disk with Weight and Inertial Moment Constraints,” Advanced Materials Research 655-657:630-635, 2013.
- Chen, K.-N. , “Structural Optimization of Automotive Flexplates Using a Fully Parameterized Finite element Model,” International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering (IJMPE) 6(4):54-58, 2018.
- Abdullah, S., Omar, M.Z., and Haris, S. , “Topological and Topographical Optimization of Automotive Spring Lower Seat,” Latin American Journal of Solids and Structures 13:1388-1405, 2016, doi:10.1590/1679-78252082.
- Chen, J., Shapiro, V., Suresh, K., and Tsukanov, Igor , “Parametric and Topological Control in Shape Optimization,” in Proceedings of ASME 2006 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, 2006, 1-12.
- Dienemann, R., Schumacher, A., and Fiebig, S. , “Topology Optimization for Finding Shell Structures Manufactured by Deep Drawing,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 56, 2017, doi:10.1007/s00158-017-1661-0.
- Altair Engineering Inc , Altair User’s Guide (India: Altair Hyperworks, 2017).