This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of an Asymmetric Twin Scroll Volute Turbine under Pulsating Engine Boundary Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Future CO2 emission legislation requires the internal combustion engine to become more efficient than ever. Of great importance is the boosting system enabling down-sizing and down-speeding. However, the thermodynamic coupling of a reciprocating internal combustion engine and a turbocharger poses a great challenge to the turbine as pulsating admission conditions are imposed onto the turbocharger turbine. This paper presents a novel approach to a turbocharger turbine development process and outlines this process using the example of an asymmetric twin scroll turbocharger applied to a heavy duty truck engine application. In a first step, relevant operating points are defined taking into account fuel consumption on reference routes for the target application. These operation points are transferred into transient boundary conditions imposed on the turbine. These pulsating admission conditions to the turbocharger turbine are analyzed and subsequently discretized using the method of quasi-steadiness to avoid numerically very expensive unsteady CFD simulations. Following, an automated in-house developed workflow based on a parameterized model of the entire turbine stage is introduced and described. The parameterization is based on design parameters linked to aerodynamic properties, hence it is not limited to one specific geometry but rather able to represent a large variety of designs with comparatively few input parameters. Concluding, a meta-model based multi-disciplinary and multi-objective numerical optimization is performed to obtain the best geometry possible. The optimization objectives are linked to a perfect turbine-compressor matching with an existing benchmark compressor stage and regards to the engine’s air fuel ratio and exhaust gas recirculation requirements. The entire optimization is based on numerical methods, that is, a CFD study. However, the numerical models used throughout the paper are validated against experimental data to ensure the quality and accuracy of the predictions regarding its behavior in an experimental setup.
CitationPalenschat, T., Wahl, P., Nakov, G., Hoffmann, K. et al., "Optimization of an Asymmetric Twin Scroll Volute Turbine under Pulsating Engine Boundary Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0914, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0914.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- International Transport Forum , “Key Transport Statistics 2017,” Tech. Rep., International Transport Forum, 2018.
- International Transport Forum , “Global Trade: International Freight Transport to Quadruple by 2050,” Tech. Rep. January, International Transport Forum, 2015.
- McKinsey&Company , “Route 2030 - the Fast Track to the Future of the Commercial Vehicle Industry,” Tech. Rep., McKinsey Center for Future Mobility, 2018.
- European Automobile Manufacturers Association , “Reducing CO2 Emissions from Heavy-Duty Vehicles,” Tech. Rep., 2017.
- Li, Z. and Zheng, X. , “Review of Design Optimization Methods for Turbomachinery Aerodynamics,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 93:1-23, 2017.
- Bonaiuti, D. and Zangeneh, M. , “On the Coupling of Inverse Design and Optimization Techniques for the Multiobjective, Multipoint Design of Turbomachinery Blades,” Journal of Turbomachinery 131(2):16, 2009.
- Zangeneh, M. , “A Compressible Three-Dimensional Design Method for Radial and Mixed Flow Turbomachinery Blades,” Int. J. Numer. Methods Fluids, 1991.
- Zangeneh, M. , “On 3D Inverse Design of Centrifugal Compressor Impellers with Splitter Blades,” in ASME International Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congress and Exhibition, no. 98-GT-507, Stockholm, 1998.
- Zangeneh, M., Schleer, M., Ploger, F., Hong, S.S. et al. , “Investigation of an Inversely Designed Centrifugal Compressor Stage-Part I: Design and Numerical Verification,” Journal of Turbomachinery 126(1), 2004.
- Zhang, J., Zangeneh, M., and Eynon, P. , “A 3D Inverse Design Based Multidisciplinary Optimization on the Radial and Mixed-Inflow Turbines for Turbochargers,” in 11th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, London, 2014, 399-410.
- Zhang, J. and Zangeneh, M. , “Increasing Pulse Energy Recovery of Radial Turbocharger,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, no. GT2015-43579, Montreal, 2015.
- Zhang, J. , “Multidisciplinary Optimisation of Radial and Mixed-Inflow Turbines for Turbochargers,” PhD thesis, University College, London, 2017.
- Amirante, R., Catalano, L.A., Dadone, A., and Daloiso, V.S.E. , “Design Optimization of the Intake of a Small-Scale Turbojet Engine,” Tech Science Press CMES 18(1):17-30, 2007.
- Burguburu, S., Toussaint, C., Bonhomme, C., and Leroy, G. , “Numerical Optimization of Turbomachinery Bladings,” Journal of Turbomachinery 126(1):91-100, 2004.
- Jarrett, J.P., Dawes, W.N., and Clarkson, P.J. , “An Approach to Integrated Multi-Disciplinary Turbomachinery Design,” Journal of Turbomachinery 129(3):488-494, 2007.
- Kipouros, T., Jaeggi, D.M., Dawes, W.N., Parks, G.T. et al. , “Biobjective Design Optimization for Axial Compressors Using Tabu Search,” AIAA Journal 46(3):701-711, 2008.
- Shahpar, S. , “A Review of Automatic Optimisation Applications in Aerodynamic Design of Turbomachinery Components,” in Design Optimization International Conference, Athens, 2004.
- Verstraete, T., Müller, L., and Müller, J.-D. , “CAD-Based Adjoint Optimization of the Stresses in a Radial Turbine,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, no. GT2017-65005, Charlotte, 2017.
- Derakhshan, S., Pourmahdavi, M., Abdolahnejad, E., Reihani, A., and Ojaghi, A. , “Numerical Shape Optimization of a Centrifugal Pump Impeller Using Artificial Bee Colony Algorithm,” Computers and Fluids 81:145-151, 2013.
- Heinrich, M. and Schwarze, R. , “Genetic Algorithm Optimization of the Volute Shape of a Centrifugal Compressor,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, 2016.
- Ibaraki, S., Van den Braembussche, R.A., Verstraete, T., Alsalihi, Z., Sugimoto, K., and Tomita, I. , “Aerodynamic Design Optimization of a Centrifugal Compressor Impeller Based on an Artificial Neural Network and Genetic Algorithm,” in 11th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, London, 2014, 65-77.
- Khairuddin, U.B., Costall, A., and Martinez-Botas, R. , “Influence of Geometrical Parameters on Aerodynamic Optimization of a Mixed-Flow Turbocharger Turbine,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, no. GT2015-42053, Montreal, 2015.
- Khairuddin, U.B. and Costall, A. , “Aerodynamic Optimization of the High Pressure Turbine and Interstage Duct in a Two-Stage Air System for a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, no. GT2017-63370, Charlotte, 2017.
- Müller, L., Alsalihi, Z., and Verstraete, T. , “Multidisciplinary Optimization of a Turbocharger Radial Turbine,” Journal of Turbomachinery 135(2), 2013.
- Pierret, S. and Van den Braembussche, R.A. , “Turbomachinery Blade Design Using a Navier-Stokes Solver and Artificial Neural Network,” Journal of Turbomachinery 121(2):326, 1999.
- Roclawski, H., Bohle, M., and Gugau, M. , “Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of a Mixed Flow Turbine Wheel,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, no. GT2012-68233, Copenhagen, 2012.
- Shahpar, S. and Caloni, S. , “Aerodynamic Optimisation of High Pressure Turbines for Lean-Burn Combustion System,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 135(055001), 2013.
- Verstraete, T., Alsalihi, Z., and Van den Braembussche, R.A. , “Multidisciplinary Optimization of a Radial Compressor for Microgas Turbine Applications,” Journal of Turbomachinery 132(3), 2010.
- Wöhr, M., Müller, M., and Leweux, J. , “Variable Geometry Compressors for Heavy Duty Truck Engine Turbochargers,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 140(7), 2018.
- Aulich, M., Voß, C., and Raitor, T. , “Optimization Strategies Demonstrated on a Transonic Centrifugal Compressor,” in 15th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery, Honolulu, 2014.
- Geller, M., Schemmann, C., and Kluck, N. , “Optimization of the Operation Characteristic of a Highly Stressed Centrifugal Compressor Impeller Using Automated Optimization and Metamodeling Methods,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, no. GT2017-63262, Charlotte, 2017.
- Voß, C., Aulich, M., and Raitor, T. , “Metamodel Assisted Aeromechanical Optimization of a Transonic Centrifugal Compressor,” in 1st DLR TRACE User Conference, Cologne, 2014.
- Palenschat, T. , “Optimisation of an Asymmetric Twin Scroll Turbocharger Turbine under Pulsating Engine Conditions,” Ph.D. thesis, Imperial College London, 2019.
- Montgomery, D.C. , Design and Analysis of Experiments, Second Edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 5 Edition, 2001.
- Rao, S.S. , Engineering Optimization: Theory and Practice (New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2009).
- Schröder, C. , “Numerical Parameter Study of a Mixed-Flow Turbine Wheel for an Asymmetric Twin-Scroll Turbocharger Considering Pulsating Engine Boundary Conditions,” Bachelor thesis, 2017.
- Wöhr, M., Schneid, M., Palenschat, T., Dillmann, A., Müller, M., and Harsha, V. , “Automated Turbocharger Compressor Development at Daimler Trucks,” in 13th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, London, 2018.
- Mitchell, M. , An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms. Vol. 32 (Cambridge: MIT Press, 1996).
- Press, W.H., Teukolsky, S., Vetterling, W.T., and Flannery, B.P. , Numerical Recipes 3rd Edition: The Art of Scientific Computing (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007).
- Nelder, J.A. and Mead, R. , “A Simplex Method for Function Minimization,” The Computer Journal 7(4):308-313, 1965.
- Palenschat, T., Cortell, J.F., Newton, P., Martinez-Botas, R., Müller, M., and Rajoo, S. , “Numerical Study of the Quasi-Steady Approach Applied to an Asymmetric Twin-Scroll Volute Turbocharger Turbine for a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Under Realistic Boundary Conditions,” in 13th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, London, 2018.
- Palenschat, T., Newton, P., Martinez-Botas, R., Müller, M., and Leweux, J. , “3-D Computational loss Analysis of an Asymmetric Volute Twin-Scroll Turbocharger,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, no. GT2017-64190, Charlotte, 2017.