This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantifying Engine Braking for Various Common Street Motorcycles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Motorcycle engine braking was measured in each forward gear for a cross-section of typical street motorcycles. Using GPS data acquisition and video, deceleration relative to speed was examined. Motorcycle characteristics included various engine displacements and types of motorcycle. The data acquired will give more insight into the extent which engine braking is a factor for deceleration, a topic which has not been addressed in a peer-reviewed journal article to this date.
CitationJansen, H., LeBlanc, B., Wilhelm, C., Shaw, T. et al., "Quantifying Engine Braking for Various Common Street Motorcycles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0880, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Dunn, A., Dorohoff, M., Bayan, F., Cornetto, A. et al. , “Analysis of Motorcycle Braking Performance and Associated Braking Marks,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0610, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0610.
- Bartlett, W. and Greear, C. , “Braking Rates for Students in a Motorcycle Training Program,” Accident Reconstruction Journal 20(6):19-20, 2010.
- Hugemann, W. and Lange, F. , “Braking Performance of Motorcyclists,” Impact 9(3):56-61, 2001.
- Ecker, H., Wasserman, J., Hauer, G., Ruspekhofer, R. et al. , “Braking Deceleration of Motorcycle Riders,” Presented at in International Motorcycle Safety Conference, Orlando, Florida, March 1-4, 2001.
- Thom, D., Arao, H., and Hancock, P. , “Hand Position and Motorcycle Front Brake Response Time,” Proceedings of the Human Factors Society Annual Meeting 29(3):278-281, 1985.
- Fries, T., Smith, J., and Cronrath, K. , “Stopping Characteristics for Motorcycles in Accident Situations,” SAE Technical Paper 890734, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890734.
- Promocycle Foundation , “Federation Motocycliste du Quebec, Task Analysis for Intensive Braking of a Motorcycle in a Straight Line,” January 2004.
- White, K., Merala, R., Desautels, D., and Ellis-Caleo, T. , “Rollout Deceleration of Modern Passenger Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0616, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0616.
- Cliff, W. and Bowler, J. , “The Measured Rolling Resistance of Vehicles for Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 980368, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980368.
- McNally, B. and Bartlett, W. , “Motorcycle Sliding Coefficient of Friction Tests,” Presented at in 21st Annual Special Problems in Accident Reconstruction, Jacksonville, Florida, 2003.
- Peck, L. Focha, W., and Gloekler, T. , “Motorcycle Sliding Friction for Accident Investigation,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Motorcycle Conference, 2014, 16, 62-78.
- Day, T. and Smith, J. , “Friction Factors for Motorcycles Sliding on Various Surfaces,” SAE Technical Paper 840250, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840250.
- Cossalter, V. , Motorcycle Dynamics 2nd Edition (LULU, 2006), 73-80, ISBN:10-1430308613.