This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Internal Nozzle Flow in Transparent Multi-Hole Diesel Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An accurate prediction of internal nozzle flow in fuel injector offers the potential to improve predictions of spray computational fluid dynamics (CFD) in an engine, providing a coupled internal-external calculation or by defining better rate of injection (ROI) profile and spray angle information for Lagrangian parcel computations. Previous research has addressed experiments and computations in transparent nozzles, but less is known about realistic multi-hole diesel injectors compared to single axial-hole fuel injectors. In this study, the transient injector opening and closing is characterized using a transparent multi-hole diesel injector, and compared to that of a single axial hole nozzle (ECN Spray D shape). A real-size five-hole acrylic transparent nozzle was mounted in a high-pressure, constant-flow chamber. Internal nozzle phenomena such as cavitation and gas exchange were visualized by high-speed long-distance microscopy. Through optical observation, we find that the initial sac condition is mostly occupied by gas, and the gas remains relatively long after the start of injection, even longer than the case from a single axial hole, thereby affecting the ramp-up in ROI. Also, pronounced cavitation occurs at the hole inlet for the multi-hole nozzle, unlike the single axial hole. Using different initial levels and positions of gas in the sac, based upon experiments, CFD simulations were performed to predict ROI and internal cavitation. While the experiment showed continuous cavitation during injection, the RANS simulations showed cavitation only at lower needle lift. In addition, less bulk cavitation and gas ingestion into the nozzle are predicted at the end of injection compared to experiment, which affects the sac state for the next injection.
CitationYasutomi, K., Hwang, J., Pickett, L., Sforzo, B. et al., "Transient Internal Nozzle Flow in Transparent Multi-Hole Diesel Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0830, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- DeLuca, F. , “History of Fuel Injection,” 2015, http://documents.mx/documents/history-of-fuel-injection.html, accessed Oct. 12, 2019.
- Boehner, W. and Hummel, K. , “Common Rail Injection System for Commercial Diesel Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 970345, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970345.
- Daum, S., Gill, D., and Theissl, H. , “Medium and Heavy Duty Diesel Fuel Injection System Requirements to Meet Future Emissions Legislation,” Fuel Systems for IC Engines 129-139, Jan. 2012.
- Krieger, K., Hummel, H.-G., and Naik, L.M. , “Diesel Fuel Injection Technology - An Essential Contribution towards an Environment Friendly Powerful Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1429, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1429.
- Park, C., Kook, S., and Bae, C. , “Effects of Multiple Injections in a HSDI Diesel Engine Equipped with Common Rail Injection System,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0127, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0127.
- Liu, Y. and Reitz, R.D. , “Optimizing HSDI Diesel Combustion and Emissions Using Multiple Injection Strategies,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0212, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0212.
- Sadafale, S.S., Mittal, M., and Inaba, K. , “Phenomenological Modeling and Experiments to Investigate the Combined Effects of High Pressure and Multiple Injection Strategies with EGR on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a CRDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0056, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0056.
- Reitz, H.R., Ogawa, H., Payri, R., Fansler, T. et al. , “IJER Editorial: The Future of the Internal Combustion Engine,” International Journal of Engine Research, 2019.
- Hiroyasu, H. , “Diesel Engine Combustion and Its Modeling,” International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Reciprocating Engines 53-75, 1985.
- Arcoumanis, C., Flora, H., Gavaises, M., and Badami, M. , “Cavitation in Real-Size Multi-Hole Diesel Injector Nozzles,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1249, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1249.
- Gavaises, M., Andriotis, A., Papoulias, D., Mitroglou, N. et al. , “Characterization of String Cavitation in Large-Scale Diesel Nozzles with Tapered Holes,” Physics of Fluids 21(5):52107, May 2009.
- Lockett, R.D. and Bonifacio, A. , “Hydrodynamic Luminescence in a Model Diesel Injector Return Valve,” International Journal of Engine Research, July 2019.
- Makri, K., Lockett, R., and Jeshani, M. , “Dynamics of Post-Injection Fuel Flow in Mini-Sac Diesel Injectors Part 1: Admission of External Gases and Implications for Deposit Formation,” International Journal of Engine Research, Dec. 2019.
- Sou, A., Hosokawa, S., and Tomiyama, A. , “Effects of Cavitation in a Nozzle on Liquid Jet Atomization,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 50(17-18):3575-3582, Aug. 2007.
- Roth, H., Giannadakis, E., Gavaises, M., Arcoumanis, C. et al. , “Effect of Multi-Injection Strategy on Cavitation Development in Diesel Injector Nozzle Holes,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1237, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1237.
- Miranda, R., Chaves, H., and Obermeier, F. , “Cavitation in a Transparent Real Size VCO Injection Nozzle,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Liquid Atomisation and Spray Systems, ICLASS, Sorrento, Jan. 2003.
- Mitra, P., Matusik, K., Duke, D., Srivastava, P. et al. , “Identification and Characterization of Steady Spray Conditions in Convergent, Single-Hole Diesel Injectors,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0281, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0281.
- Mitroglou, N., McLorn, M., Gavaises, M., Soteriou, C. et al. , “Instantaneous and Ensemble Average Cavitation Structures in Diesel Micro-Channel Flow Orifices,” Fuel 116:736-742, 2014.
- Reid, B.A., Gavaises, M., Mitroglou, N., Hargrave, G.K. et al. , “On the Formation of String Cavitation inside Fuel Injectors,” Experiments in Fluids 55(1), 2014.
- Fitzgerald, R.P., Della Vecchia, G., Peraza, J.E., Martin, G.C. et al. , “Features of Internal Flow and Spray for a Multi-Hole Transparent Diesel Fuel Injector Tip,” in ILASS-Europe 2019, 29th Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Paris, France, Sept. 2-4, 2019, 2-4.
- Westlye, F.R., Battistoni, M., Skeen, S.A., Manin, J. et al. , “Penetration and Combustion Characterization of Cavitating and Non-Cavitating Fuel Injectors under Diesel Engine Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0860, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0860.
- Sforzo, B.A., Matusik, K.E., Powell, C.F., Kastengren, A.L., et al. , “Fuel Nozzle Geometry Effects on Cavitation and Spray Behavior at Diesel Engine Conditions,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Cavitation (CAV2018), 2018, pp. 474-480.
- Gavaises, M. , “Flow in Valve Covered Orifice Nozzles with Cylindrical and Tapered Holes and Link to Cavitation Erosion and Engine Exhaust Emissions,” International Journal of Engine Research 9(6):435-447, 2008.
- Mitroglou, N., Gavaises, M., Nouri, J.M., and Arcoumanis, C. , “Cavitation Inside Enlarged and Real-Size Fully Transparent Injector Nozzles and Its Effect on Near Nozzle Spray Formation,” Proceedings of the DIPSI Workshop 2011 Droplet Impact Phenomena & Spray Investigations 47(May):33-45, 2011.
- Pratama, R.H., Sou, A., Katsui, T., and Nishio, S. , “String Cavitation in a Fuel Injector,” Atomization and Sprays 27(3):189-205, 2017.
- Chen, Z., He, Z., Shang, W., Duan, L. et al. , “Experimental Study on the Effect of Nozzle Geometry on String Cavitation in Real-Size Optical Diesel Nozzles and Spray Characteristics,” Fuel 232(May):562-571, 2018.
- Watanabe, H., Nishikori, M., Hayashi, T., Suzuki, M. et al. , “Visualization Analysis of Relationship between Vortex Flow and Cavitation Behavior in Diesel Nozzle,” International Journal of Engine Research 16(1):5-12, 2015.
- Hayashi, T., Suzuki, M., and Ikemoto, M. , “Effects of Internal Flow in a Diesel Nozzle on Spray Combustion,” International Journal of Engine Research 14(6):646-654, 2013.
- Karathanassis, I.K., Trickett, K., Koukouvinis, P., Wang, J. et al. , “Illustrating the Effect of Viscoelastic Additives on Cavitation and Turbulence with X-Ray Imaging,” Scientific Reports 8(1):1-15, 2018.
- Naseri, H., Trickett, K., Mitroglou, N., Karathanassis, I. et al. , “Turbulence and Cavitation Suppression by Quaternary Ammonium Salt Additives,” Scientific Reports 8(1):1-15, 2018.
- Karathanassis, I.K., Koukouvinis, P., Kontolatis, E., Lee, Z. et al. , “High-Speed Visualization of Vortical Cavitation Using Synchrotron Radiation,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 838:148-164, 2018.
- Lorenzi, M., Mitroglou, N., Santini, M., and Gavaises, M. , “Novel Experimental Technique for 3D Investigation of High-Speed Cavitating Diesel Fuel Flows by X-Ray Micro Computed Tomography,” Review of Scientific Instruments 88(3):033706, Mar. 2017.
- Mitroglou, N., Lorenzi, M., Santini, M., and Gavaises, M. , “Application of X-Ray Micro-Computed Tomography on High-Speed Cavitating Diesel Fuel Flows,” Experiments in Fluids 57(175), 2016.
- Moon, S., Huang, W., Li, Z., and Wang, J. , “End-of-Injection Fuel Dribble of Multi-Hole Diesel Injector: Comprehensive Investigation of Phenomenon and Discussion on Control Strategy,” Applied Energy 179:7-16, Oct. 2016.
- Xue, Q., Battistoni, M., Som, S., Quan, S. et al. , “Eulerian CFD Modeling of Coupled Nozzle Flow and Spray with Validation Against X-Ray Radiography Data,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2):1061-1072, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1425.
- Battistoni, M., Xue, Q., Som, S., and Pomraning, E. , “Effect of Off-Axis Needle Motion on Internal Nozzle and Near Exit Flow in a Multi-Hole Diesel Injector,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(1):167-182, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1426.
- Marti-Aldaravi, P., Saha, K., Gimeno, J., and Som, S. , “Numerical Simulation of a Direct-Acting Piezoelectric Prototype Injector Nozzle Flow for Partial Needle Lifts,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0101, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0101.
- Bode, M., Falkenstein, T., Davidovic, M., Pitsch, H. et al. , “Effects of Cavitation and Hydraulic Flip in 3-Hole GDI Injectors,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(2):380-393, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0848.
- Battistoni, M., Som, S., and Powell, C.F. , “Highly Resolved Eulerian Simulations of Fuel Spray Transients in Single and Multi-Hole Injectors: Nozzle Flow and Near-Exit Dynamics,” Fuel 251:709-729, Sept. 2019.
- Battistoni, M., Kastengren, A.L., Powell, C.F., and Som, S. , “Fluid Dynamics Modeling of End-of-Injection Process,” in ILASS Americas 26th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Portland, OR, May 2014, 1-7.
- Gold, M., Pearson, R., Turner, J., Sykes, D. et al. , “Simulation and Measurement of Transient Fluid Phenomena within Diesel Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0066, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0066.
- Gomez Santos, E., Shi, J., Gavaises, M., Soteriou, C. et al. , “Investigation of Cavitation and Air Entrainment during Pilot Injection in Real-Size Multi-Hole Diesel Nozzles,” Fuel 263, 2020.
- “Engine Combustion Network | Engine Combustion Network Website,” https://ecn.sandia.gov/, accessed Oct. 20, 2017.
- Kastengren, A.L., Tilocco, F.Z., Powell, C.F., Manin, J. et al. , “Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Measurements of Nozzle Geometry and Hydraulic Behavior,” Atomization and Sprays 22(12):1011-1052, 2012.
- Yasutomi, K., Hwang, J., Manin, J., Pickett, L. et al. , “Diesel Injector Elasticity Effects on Internal Nozzle Flow,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2279, 2019.
- Manin, J., Pickett, L.M., and Yasutomi, K. , “Stereoscopic High-Speed Microscopy to Understand Transient Internal Flow Processes in High-Pressure Nozzles,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Manuscript in progress, 2019.
- Kastengren, A., Powell, C.F., Tilocco, F.Z., and Fezzaa, K. , “Initial Evaluation of Engine Combustion Network Injectors with X-Ray Diagnostics,” in ILASS-Americas 2011, Ventura, CA, 2012.
- Manin, J., Bardi, M., Pickett, L.M., Dahms, R.N. et al. , “Microscopic Investigation of the Atomization and Mixing Processes of Diesel Sprays Injected into High Pressure and Temperature Environments,” Fuel 134:531-543, 2014.
- Pickett, L.M., Manin, J., Payri, R., Bardi, M. et al. , “Transient Rate of Injection Effects on Spray Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0001, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0001.
- Crua, C., Shoba, T., Heikal, M., Gold, M. et al. , “High-Speed Microscopic Imaging of the Initial Stage of Diesel Spray Formation and Primary Breakup,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2247, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2247.
- Daly, S., Cenker, E., Pickett, L.M., and Skeen, S. , “The Effects of Injector Temperature on Spray Characteristics in Heavy-Duty Diesel Sprays,” SAE Int. J. Engines 11(6):879-891, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0284.
- Musculus, M.P.B. and Kattke, K. , “Entrainment Waves in Diesel Jets,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):1170-1193, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1355.
- Saha, K., Srivastava, P., Quan, S., Senecal, P.K. et al. , “Modeling the Dynamic Coupling of Internal Nozzle Flow and Spray Formation for Gasoline Direct Injection Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0314, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0314.
- Arienti, M. and Sussman, M. , “A Numerical Study of the Thermal Transient in High-Pressure Diesel Injection,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 88:205-221, 2017.
- Abers, P.M., Cenker, E., Yasutomi, K., Hwang, J. et al. , “Effect of Pressure Cycling on Gas Exchange in a Transparent Fuel Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2280, 2019.
- Arcoumanis, C. and Baniasad, M.S. , “Analysis of Consecutive Fuel Injection Rate Signals Obtained by the Zeuch and Bosch Methods,” SAE Technical Paper 930921, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930921.
- Payri, R., Salvador, F.J., Gimeno, J., and Bracho, G. , “A New Methodology for Correcting the Signal Cumulative Phenomenon on Injection Rate Measurements,” Experimental Techniques 32(1):46-49, 2008.
- Bower, G.R. and Foster, D.E. , “A Comparison of the Bosch and Zuech Rate of Injection Meters,” SAE Technical Paper 910724, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910724.
- Convergent Science , “CONVERGE Manual v2.4,” 2017.
- Koukouvinis, P., Naseri, H., and Gavaises, M. , “Performance of Turbulence and Cavitation Models in Prediction of Incipient and Developed Cavitation,” International Journal of Engine Research 18(4):333-350, 2017.
- Pope, S.B. , Turbulent Flows (Cambridge University Press, 2000).
- “Engine Combustion Network | Transparent-Multi-Hole,” https://ecn.sandia.gov/pub-links/ky003/transparent-multi-hole/, accessed Oct. 24, 2019.
- Eagle, W.E. and Musculus, M.P.B. , “Cinema-Stereo Imaging of Fuel Dribble after the End of Injection in an Optical Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine High-speed Imaging of Fuel Dribble after the End of Injection in an Optical Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” in THIESEL Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Direct Injection Engines, 2014.
- Fitzgerald, R.P. and Bazyn, T. , “Dribble Quantification for Diesel Fuel Injectors,” in ICLASS 14th Triennial International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, 2018.
- “ECN Rate of injection (SprayB),” https://www.cmt.upv.es/ECN03.aspx#sprayB, accessed Nov. 3, 2019.