This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Effect of Manifold Induction of Acetylene in a Dual-Fuelled CI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The utilization of gaseous fuels in internal combustion (IC) engines is receiving more significant greater interest in recent years because of their better fuel mixing characteristics. Apart from potential gaseous fuels such as liquefied natural gas (LPG), compressed natural gas (CNG), and hydrogen, other alternatives are being explored for their utilization in IC engines. The reason for this exploration is mainly because of the durability and robust nature of compression ignition (CI) engines, and more research focuses on the utilization of a variety of gaseous fuels in CI engines. However, gaseous fuels need to be used in CI engines on dual fuel mode only. In this investigation, a single-cylinder, four-stroke, air-cooled diesel engine was converted into Acetylene run dual-fuel CI engine by changing the intake manifold of the test engine. Acetylene at three flow rates viz., 2lpm, 4lpm, and 6lpm were introduced into the intake port by manifold induction technique while Jatropha biodiesel/diesel was injected directly into the cylinder. In this paper, the effect of manifold induction of Acetylene on the performance and emission characteristics of the test engine was assessed and compared with those of conventional diesel operation of the test engine.
CitationSahoo, R., Jaiswal, A., and Sivalingam, M., "Study on the Effect of Manifold Induction of Acetylene in a Dual-Fuelled CI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0817, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Saravanan, N. and Nagarajan, G. , “An Insight on Hydrogen Fuel Injection Techniques with SCR System for NOx Reduction in a Hydrogen-Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34:9019-9032, 2009.
- Balasubramanian, V., Sridhara, K., and Ganesan, V. , “Performance Evaluation of a Small Agricultural Engine Operated on Dual Fuel (Diesel + Natural Gas) System,” SAE Technical Paper 951777, 1995, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/951777.
- Carlucci, A.P., Ficarella, A., and Laforgia, D. , “Control of the Combustion Behavior in a Diesel Engine Using Early Injection and Gas Addition. App!” Therm Eng 26:2279-2286, 2006.
- Selim, M.Y.E. , “Pressure-Time Characteristics in a Diesel Engine Fueled with Natural Gas,” Renew Energy 22:473-489, 2001.
- Carlucci, A.P., de Risi, A., Laforgia, D., and Naccarato, F. , “Experimental Investigation and Combustion Analysis of a Direct Injection Dual-Fuel Diesel - Natural Gas Engine,” Energy 33(2):256-263, 2008.
- Papagiannakis, R.G. and Hountalas, D.T. , “Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine Operated with Pilot Diesel Fuel and Natural Gas,” Energy Convers Manage 45(18-19):2971-2987, 2004.
- Duc, P.M. and Wattanavichien, K. , “Study on Biogas Premixed Charge Diesel Dual-Fuelled Engine,” Energy Convers Manage 48(8):2286-2308, 2007.
- Bari, S. , “Effect of Carbon Dioxide on the Performance of Biogas/Diesel Duel-Fuel Engine,” Renew Energy 9(1-4):1007-10, 1996; Luijten, C.C.M. and Kerkhof, E., Energy Conversion and Management 52:1426-1438, 2011.
- Henham, A. and Makkar, M.K. , “Combustion of Simulated Biogas in a Dual-Fuel Diesel Engine,” Energy Convers Manage 39(16-18):2001-2009, 1998.
- Tippayawong, N., Promwungkwa, A., and Rerkriankrai, P. , “Long-Term Operation of a Small Biogas/Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine for On-Farm Electricity Generation,” Biosyst Eng 98(1):26-32, 2007.
- Senthil Kumar, M., Ramesh, A., and Nagalingam, B. , “Use of Hydrogen to Enhance the Performance of a Vegetable Oil Fuelled Compression Ignition Engine,” Int J Hydrogen Energy 28:1143-1154, 2003.
- Senthil Kumar, M., Ramesh, A., and Nagalingam, B. , “An Experimental Comparison of Methods to Use Methanol and Jatropha Oil in a Compression Ignition Engine,” Biomass Bioenergy 25:309-318, 2003.
- Senthil Kumar, M., Ramesh, A., and Nagalingam, B. , “A Comparison of the Different Methods of Using Jatropha Oil as Fuel in a Compression Ignition Engine,” J Eng Gas Turbines Power 132:1-10, 2010.
- Lakshmanan, T. and Nagarajan, G. , “Experimental Investigation of Timed Manifold Injection of Acetylene in Direct Injection Diesel Engine in Dual Fuel Mode.”
- Behera, P., Jha, A.K., and Murugan, S. , “Dual Fuel Operation of Used Transformer Oil with Acetylene in a DI Diesel Engine.”
- Saravanan, N. and Nagarajan, G. , “An Experimental Investigation on Manifold Injected Hydrogen as a Dual Fuel for Diesel Engine System with Different Injection Duration.”
- Theotakotas et al. , “Numerical Study of a Marine Dual-Fuel Four-Stroke Engine,” MARTECH, 2016.
- Ojutkangas, M. , “Dual Fuel Engine Development and Design,” Wärtsilä Ship Power Merchant
- Zillman, J.H., William, I., and Ballentine, Jr. , “Electronic Controlled Manifold Injection System.”
- Hafner, G.G., Huang, J.C., and Liu, X. , “Tuned Actuating Fluid Inlet Manifold for a Hydraulically Actuated Fuel Injection System.”
- Seto, S.P.T. and Stenger, R.E. , “Dual Manifold Fuel System.”
- Barnard, D.D. , “Fuel Injection System Controlling Air/Fuel Ratio by Intake Manifold Gas Sensor.”
- Ashok, B., Denis Ashok, S., and Ramesh Kumar, C. ,. LPG Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine - A Critical Review.
- Ashok, B. and Nanthagopal, K. , Advances in Eco-Fuels for a Sustainable Environment (2019).
- Zhang, D. , Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development: Gasoline and Gas Engines (2010).
- Yoon, S.H. and Lee, C.S. , “Experimental Investigation on the Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Biogas-Biodiesel Dual-Fuel Combustion in a CI Engine,” Fuel Processing Technology 92:992-1000, 2011.
- Devan, P.K. and Mahalakshmi, N.V. , “Study of the Performance, Emission, and Combustion Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Using Poon Oil-Based Fuels,” Fuel Processing Technology 90:513-519, 2009.
- Lounici, M.S., Loubar, K., Tarabet, L., Balistrou, M. et al. , “Towards the Improvement of Natural Gas-Diesel Dual Fuel Mode: An Experimental Investigation on Performance and Exhaust Emissions,” Energy 64:200-211, 2014.
- Nagarajan, G., Renganayanan, S., and Rao, A.N. , “Emission and Performance Characteristics of Neat Ethanol Fuelled DI Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Ambient Energy 23:149-158, 2002.
- Mustafi, N.N. and Raine, R.R. , “A Study of the Emissions of a Dual Fuel Engine Operating with Alternative Gaseous Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1394, 2008, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1394.
- Karim, G.A. , “A Review of Combustion Processes in the Dual Fuel Engine - The Gas Diesel Engine,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 6:277-285, 1980.