This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Effect of Manifold Induction of Acetylene in a Dual-Fuelled CI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The utilization of gaseous fuels in internal combustion (IC) engines is receiving more significant greater interest in recent years because of their better fuel mixing characteristics. Apart from potential gaseous fuels such as liquefied natural gas (LPG), compressed natural gas (CNG), and hydrogen, other alternatives are being explored for their utilization in IC engines. The reason for this exploration is mainly because of the durability and robust nature of compression ignition (CI) engines, and more research focuses on the utilization of a variety of gaseous fuels in CI engines. However, gaseous fuels need to be used in CI engines on dual fuel mode only. In this investigation, a single-cylinder, four-stroke, air-cooled diesel engine was converted into Acetylene run dual-fuel CI engine by changing the intake manifold of the test engine. Acetylene at three flow rates viz., 2lpm, 4lpm, and 6lpm were introduced into the intake port by manifold induction technique while Jatropha biodiesel/diesel was injected directly into the cylinder. In this paper, the effect of manifold induction of Acetylene on the performance and emission characteristics of the test engine was assessed and compared with those of conventional diesel operation of the test engine.
CitationSahoo, R., Jaiswal, A., and Sivalingam, M., "Study on the Effect of Manifold Induction of Acetylene in a Dual-Fuelled CI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0817, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0817.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Saravanan , N. and Nagarajan , G. An Insight on Hydrogen Fuel Injection Techniques with SCR System for NOx Reduction in a Hydrogen-Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34 9019 9032 2009
- Balasubramanian , V. , Sridhara , K. , and Ganesan , V. Performance Evaluation of a Small Agricultural Engine Operated on Dual Fuel (Diesel + Natural Gas) System SAE Technical Paper 951777 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/951777
- Carlucci , A.P. , Ficarella , A. , and Laforgia , D. Control of the Combustion Behavior in a Diesel Engine Using Early Injection and Gas Addition. App! Therm Eng 26 2279 2286 2006
- Selim , M.Y.E. Pressure-Time Characteristics in a Diesel Engine Fueled with Natural Gas Renew Energy 22 473 489 2001
- Carlucci , A.P. , de Risi , A. , Laforgia , D. , and Naccarato , F. Experimental Investigation and Combustion Analysis of a Direct Injection Dual-Fuel Diesel - Natural Gas Engine Energy 33 2 256 263 2008
- Papagiannakis , R.G. and Hountalas , D.T. Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine Operated with Pilot Diesel Fuel and Natural Gas Energy Convers Manage 45 18-19 2971 2987 2004
- Duc , P.M. and Wattanavichien , K. Study on Biogas Premixed Charge Diesel Dual-Fuelled Engine Energy Convers Manage 48 8 2286 2308 2007
- Bari , S. Effect of Carbon Dioxide on the Performance of Biogas/Diesel Duel-Fuel Engine Renew Energy 9 1-4 1007 10 1996 Energy Conversion and Management
- Henham , A. and Makkar , M.K. Combustion of Simulated Biogas in a Dual-Fuel Diesel Engine Energy Convers Manage 39 16-18 2001 2009 1998
- Tippayawong , N. , Promwungkwa , A. , and Rerkriankrai , P. Long-Term Operation of a Small Biogas/Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine for On-Farm Electricity Generation Biosyst Eng 98 1 26 32 2007
- Senthil Kumar , M. , Ramesh , A. , and Nagalingam , B. Use of Hydrogen to Enhance the Performance of a Vegetable Oil Fuelled Compression Ignition Engine Int J Hydrogen Energy 28 1143 1154 2003
- Senthil Kumar , M. , Ramesh , A. , and Nagalingam , B. An Experimental Comparison of Methods to Use Methanol and Jatropha Oil in a Compression Ignition Engine Biomass Bioenergy 25 309 318 2003
- Senthil Kumar , M. , Ramesh , A. , and Nagalingam , B. A Comparison of the Different Methods of Using Jatropha Oil as Fuel in a Compression Ignition Engine J Eng Gas Turbines Power 132 1 10 2010
- Lakshmanan , T. and Nagarajan , G.
- Behera , P. , Jha , A.K. , and Murugan , S.
- Saravanan , N. and Nagarajan , G.
- Theotakotas et al. 2016
- Ojutkangas , M.
- Zillman , J.H. , William , I. , and Ballentine , Jr.
- Hafner , G.G. , Huang , J.C. , and Liu , X.
- Seto , S.P.T. and Stenger , R.E.
- Barnard , D.D.
- Ashok , B. , Denis Ashok , S. , and Ramesh Kumar , C. LPG Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine - A Critical Review
- Ashok , B. and Nanthagopal , K. Advances in Eco-Fuels for a Sustainable Environment 2019
- Zhang , D. Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development: Gasoline and Gas Engines 2010
- Yoon , S.H. and Lee , C.S. Experimental Investigation on the Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Biogas-Biodiesel Dual-Fuel Combustion in a CI Engine Fuel Processing Technology 92 992 1000 2011
- Devan , P.K. and Mahalakshmi , N.V. Study of the Performance, Emission, and Combustion Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Using Poon Oil-Based Fuels Fuel Processing Technology 90 513 519 2009
- Lounici , M.S. , Loubar , K. , Tarabet , L. , Balistrou , M. et al. Towards the Improvement of Natural Gas-Diesel Dual Fuel Mode: An Experimental Investigation on Performance and Exhaust Emissions Energy 64 200 211 2014
- Nagarajan , G. , Renganayanan , S. , and Rao , A.N. Emission and Performance Characteristics of Neat Ethanol Fuelled DI Diesel Engine International Journal of Ambient Energy 23 149 158 2002
- Mustafi , N.N. and Raine , R.R. A Study of the Emissions of a Dual Fuel Engine Operating with Alternative Gaseous Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1394 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1394
- Karim , G.A. A Review of Combustion Processes in the Dual Fuel Engine - The Gas Diesel Engine Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 6 277 285 1980