This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation and Optimization for Combustion of an Opposed Piston Two-Stroke Engine for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An opposed piston two-stroke engine is more suitable for use in an unmanned aerial vehicle because of its small size, excellent self-balancing, stable operation, and low noise. Consequently, in this study, based on experimental data for a prototype opposed piston two-stroke engine, numerical simulation models were established using GT-POWER for 1D simulation and AVL-FIRE for 3D CFD simulation. The mesh grid and solver parameters for the numerical model of the CFD simulation were determined to guarantee the accuracy of the numerical simulation, before studying and optimizing the ventilation efficiency of the engine with different dip angles. Furthermore, the fuel spray and combustion were analyzed and optimized in details.
CitationZhou, L., Li, H., Chen, Z., Zhao, Z. et al., "Numerical Simulation and Optimization for Combustion of an Opposed Piston Two-Stroke Engine for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0782, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0782.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Flint, M. and Pirault, J. , “Opposed Piston Engines: Evolution, Use, and Future Applications,” 2009, doi:10.4271/r-378.
- Hofbauer, P. , “Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder (Opoc) Engine for Military Ground Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1548, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1548.
- Kalke, J., Opaliński, M., and Szczeciński, M. , “Opposed-Piston Engines: the Future of Engines,” PhD Interdisciplinary Journal, 2014.
- Regner, G., Herold, E., Wahl, H. et al. , “The Achates Power Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Engine: Performance and Emissions Results in a Medium-Duty Application,” SAE International Journal of Engines 4(3):2726-2735, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2221.
- Mcgough, G. and Fanick, R. , “Experimental Investigation of the Scavenging Performance of a Two-Stroke Opposed-Piston Diesel Tank Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1591, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/10.4271/2004-01-1591.
- Peng, L., Tusinean, A., Hofbauer, P. et al. , “Development of a Compact and Efficient Truck APU,” SAE Transactions 38(8):847-856, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0653.
- Kalkstein, J., Röver, W., Campbell, B., Zhong, L. et al. “Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder (Opoc™) 5/10 kW Heavy Fuel Engine for UAVs and APUs,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0278, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0278.
- Brojo, F., Santos, A., and Gregorio, J. , “Computational Analysis of the Scavenging of a Two-Stroke Opposed Piston Diesel Engine,” Lecture Notes in Engineering & Computer Science 2184(1), 2010.
- Zhou, L., Zhang, H., Zhao, Z. et al. , “Research on Opposed Piston Two-Stroke Engine for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle by Thermodynamic Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2408, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2408.
- Wu, Y., Wang, Y., Zhen, X. et al. , “Three-Dimensional CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) Analysis of Scavenging Process in a Two-Stroke Free-Piston Engine,” Energy 68, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2014.02.107.
- Liu, Y., Zhang, F., Zhao, Z. et al. , “The Effects of Pressure Difference on Opposed Piston Two Stroke Diesel Engine Scavenging Process,” Energy Procedia 142, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2017.12.374.
- Franke, M., Huang, H., Liu, P. et al. , “Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder (Opoc™) 450 Hp Engine: Performance Development by CAE Simulations and Testing,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0277, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0277.
- Herold, E., Wahl, M., Regner, G., Lemke, J. et al. , “Thermodynamic Benefits of Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2216, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2216.
- Mitianiec, W. , “Analysis of Loop Scavenging Process in a Small Power SI Two-Stroke Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2181, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2181.
- Bo, T., Clerides, D., Gosman, D. et al. , “Prediction of the Flow and Spray Processes in an Automobile DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970882, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970882.
- Zhang, Z., Zhao, C., Xie, Z. et al. , “Study on the Effect of the Nozzle Diameter and Swirl Ratio on the Combustion Process for an Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Diesel Engine,” Energy Procedia 61:542-546, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.1166.
- Huo, M., Huang, Y., and Hofbauer, P. , “Piston Design Impact on the Scavenging and Combustion in an Opposed-Piston, Opposed-Cylinder (Opoc) Two-Stroke Engine,” Journal of Non Crystalline Solids 1(3):218-225, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1269.
- Ma, F., Zhao, C., Zhang, Z. et al. , “An Experimental Investigation on the Combustion and, Heat Release Characteristics of an Opposed-Piston, Folded-Cranktrain Diesel Engine,” Energies 8(7):6365-6381, 2015, doi:10.3390/en8076365.
- Ma, F., Zhao, C., Zhang, S. et al. , “Scheme Design and Performance Simulation of Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1276, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1276.
- Mattarelli, E., Cantore, G., Rinaldini, C.A. et al. , “Combustion System Development of an Opposed Piston 2-Stroke Diesel Engine,” Energy Procedia 126:1003-1010, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2017.08.268.
- Bebe, E. and Andersen, S. , “Validation of a CFD Spray Model Based on Spray Nozzle Characteristics,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0822, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0822.
- Cung, K., Bitsis, D., Briggs, T., Kalaskar, V. et al. , “Effect of Micro-Hole Nozzle on Diesel Spray and Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0301, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0301.
- Zhang, L., Su, T., Feng, Y. et al. , “Numerical Investigation of the Effects of Injection Interval of Split Injection Strategies on Combustion and Emission in an Opposed-Piston, Opposed-Cylinder(OPOC)Two-Stroke Diesel Engine,” Journal of Test and Measurement Technology 10(5):684, 2018, doi:10.3390/en10050684.
- Zhang, Z. , “Effect of Piston Dynamic on the Working Processes of an Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Folded-Cranktrain Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1628, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1628.