This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Assist-Steering Method for Distributed-Drive Articulated Heavy Vehicle Based on the Co-Simulation Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The mathematic model and co-simulation model for distributed-drive articulated heavy vehicles (DAHVs) are developed along with the techniques for its satisfactory verification. The objectives of this paper are to introduce and verify the researches about the assist-steering method for DAHVs. The theory of this proposed assist-steering method in this paper distinguishes it from the traditional direct yaw moment control (DYC) method or assist-steering methods in the previous studies. Furthermore, the co-simulation model developed by MATLAB/Simulink, ADAMS, and AMESim is more reasonable than the traditional methods with simple virtual models, which can replace the real test vehicle for the verification of proposed assist-steering method. Field tests were conducted with a 35t DAHV to verify the models with the comparison of vehicle responses. With the reference of mathematical model, the feed-forward controller can be designed to calculate the appropriate differential driving forces and produce direct yaw moment to assist the vehicle in steering. A case study is implemented with the co-simulation model in the end. The investigation shows that this assist-steering method reduce the steering forces for about 41.2%, which can improve the working performance of DAHVs and realize the electrification of vehicle steering process.
CitationXu, T., Ji, X., Fei, C., Liu, Y. et al., "Research on Assist-Steering Method for Distributed-Drive Articulated Heavy Vehicle Based on the Co-Simulation Model," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0761, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0761.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Gao, Y., Shen, Y., Xu, T. et al. , “Oscillatory Yaw Motion Control for Hydraulic Power Steering Articulated Vehicles Considering the Influence of Varying Bulk Modulus,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 27(3):1284-1292, 2018, doi:10.1109/TCST.2018.2803746.
- Lashgarian Azad, N. , “Dynamic Modelling and Stability Controller Development for Articulated Steer Vehicles,” 2007.
- Xu, T., Shen, Y., and Zhang, W. , “In-Situ Steering Dynamics Analysis of Skid Steering for Articulated Motor-Driven Vehicle,” SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars-Mechanical Systems 9(2):903-911, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1646.
- Yin, Y., Rakheja, S., Yang, J. et al. , “Effect of Articulated Frame S on the Transient Yaw Responses of the Vehicle,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 232(3):384-399, 2017, doi:org/10.1177/0954407017702987.
- Wang, H., Huang, Y., and Khajepour, A. , “Cyber-Physical Control for Energy Management of Off-Road Vehicles with Hybrid Energy Storage Systems,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 23(6):2609-2618, 2018, doi:10.1109/TMECH.2018.2832019.
- Xu, T., Shen, Y., Xie, J. et al. , “Study of Hydraulic Steering Process for Intelligent Autonomous Articulated Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0133, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0133.
- Thulasiraman, B.K.S., Arumugam, G., Sadali, N.G. et al. , “Steering Linkage Optimization of Articulated Construction Equipment,” in Proceedings of the 1st International and 16th National Conference on Machines and Mechanisms, 2013.
- Crolla, D. , “The Steering Behaviour of Articulated Body Steer Vehicles,” Road Vehicle Handling (I Mech E Conference Publications, 1983).
- Wang, T., Wu, Y., Liang, J. et al. , “Analysis and Experimental Kinematics of a Skid-Steering Wheeled Robot Based on a Laser Scanner Sensor,” Sensors 15(5):9681-9702, 2015, doi:org/10.3390/s150509681.
- Fauroux, J. and Vaslin, P. , “Modeling, Experimenting, and Improving Skid Steering on a 6 × 6 All-Terrain Mobile Platform,” Journal of Field Robotics 27(2):107-126, 2010, doi:org/10.1002/rob.20333.
- Janarthanan, B., Padmanabhan, C., and Sujatha, C. , “Lateral Dynamics of Single Unit Skid-Steered Tracked Vehicle,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 12(6):865-875, 2011.
- Lashgarian Azad, N., Khajepour, A., and Mcphee, J. , “Robust State Feedback Stabilization of Articulated Steer Vehicles,” Vehicle System Dynamics 45(3):249-275, 2007, doi:org/10.1080/00423110600907469.
- Baṣlamiṣli, S.Ç., Köse, İ.E., and Anlaç, G. , “Handling Stability Improvement through Robust Active Front Steering and Active Differential Control,” Vehicle System Dynamics 49(5):657-683, 2011, doi:org/10.1080/00423111003671900.
- Cherouat, H. and Diop, S. , “An Observer and an Integrated Braking/Traction and Steering Control for a Cornering Vehicle,” in American Control Conference, 2005, doi:10.1109/ACC.2005.1470297.
- Goodarzi, A. and Ghajar, M. , “Integrating Lane-Keeping System with Direct Yaw Moment Control Tasks in a Novel Driver Assistance System,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-Body Dynamics 229:16-38, 2015, doi:org/10.1177/1464419314545408.
- Iida, M., Nakashima, H., Tomiyama, H. et al. , “Small-Radius Turning Performance of an Articulated Vehicle by Direct Yaw Moment Control,” Computers & Electronics in Agriculture 76(2):277-283, 2011, doi:org/10.1016/j.compag.2011.02.006.
- Xu, T., Shen, Y., Huang, Y. et al. , “Study of Hydraulic Steering Process for Articulated Heavy Vehicles Based on the Principle of the Least Resistance,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 24(4):1662-1673, 2019, doi:10.1109/TMECH.2019.2924191.
- Xu, T., Ji, X., and Shen, Y. , “A Novel Assist-Steering Method with Direct Yaw Moment for Distributed-Drive Articulated Heavy Vehicle,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part K Journal of Multi-Body Dynamics, 2019.
- Tang, J., Gao, Y., Yu, H. et al. , “Real-Time Display Method for Mining Vehicle Simulation Based on Virtual reality,” in 2019 IEEE 28th International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), 2019, 1530-1535, doi:10.1109/ISIE.2019.8781381.